What to bring to PI

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good tools are hard to find here - and quite expensive if you can find them.  I did HVAC work for 25 years and had an entire garage full to tools & equipment.  I grabbed one tool bag of my favorite and hand tools, and my Dremel.  Everything I got rid of. I probably should have brought more tools but I knew that I was coming to retire.  Anything I need done I will hire it out, happily.  :tiphat:

~Edit~

You should have seen all the specialty tools I left behind from my model railroading days!  Tons of very expensive toys ha ha.  No room here for a train... so no need.

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Same as you guys with the tools, didn't think I would be doing any kind of work here but with all the families houses just never seem to stop and what with the car, again no tools. The tools you buy here are just cheap and nasty, even the so called good ones, had a full tool box of Sidchrome tools, last a lifetime and they have. In hindsight just should have brought all my tools, would never have gone astray, maybe next time:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well my notion of the kind of tools I can't get in the Philippines might be a bit different from others. Here's a few examples. The wooden planes were made by my friend, Bill Carter, on the other side of the pond, and the metal ones by Christopher Laarman, here in Oregon. 

I am bringing them and no way these are going in a BB box :smile:

12219509_10206616251978630_7216417187698016987_n.jpg

205151_1821716016300_6664144_n.jpg

12241414_10206616257938779_6761921973697026514_n.jpg

Edited by davewe
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I agree, have never been a fan of the Mexican fellow 'Manual Labor'

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2016 at 9:01 PM, robert k said:

I have been thinking about this and getting a few things for when I return to the Philippines. Spare laptop battery is one (Thanks Dave Houndriver for reminder), a 10 pack of P-51 can openers, long household (indoor) extension cords which seem hard to find in the Philippines. More flash drives because I am where they can be had cheap. Long HDMI cables (Thanks AlwaysRT). An assortment of hand tools because while they are available in the Philippines, you are limited for choice and mine will be in cases that keep them organized and to my liking. I didn't expect to be doing any work last year so I just brought a Leatherman Wingman multitool. This time I am bringing my favorite hammer, an Estwing 28 oz rip framing hammer and a 100 ft Stanley measuring tape reel. Just in case.

I wish that I had brought my tools from the Uk. As you say the choice here is limited along with the quality.

pjclark1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yorkshire Tea bags and Marmite ............ nothing else I want from the UK. 

P_20160514_092247.jpg

Edited by pjclark1
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, pjclark1 said:

Yorkshire Tea bags and Marmite ............ nothing else I want from the UK. 

P_20160514_092247.jpg

I can get Marmite here sometimes but sadly the only tea I have seen is Liptons. There is a small shop/eatery here in Dumaguete which sells Uk food.A limited choice although it is quite expensive.Sometimes Robinsons get UK food and that is also expensive.