Larger Furniture Recommendations

intrepid
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm usually done before it gets half way done!  If I get even more comfortable, I probably won't last 20 minutes.

I think that's the idea!

• 4 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2016 at 6:09 PM, OnMyWay said:

Any experiences with Victoria Mondial?  We have been there a few times and always laughed at their pricing / marketing scheme.  Everything is always 50% off.  Today and until the end of the month they have another 30% off.  So, for example, they have a 2 seater double recliner, "original" price p125,000.  50% off gets you down to p62,500.  An additional 30% off gets it down to 43,750 and then a 2% cash discount would make it a bit less.

Dredging this up as I am about ready to pull the trigger on a sofa (3 seater) and loveseat (2 seater) from Victoria Mondiale.  Hoping that someone has an experience to share.  

We have been to a lot of places and the best available are the Natuzzi brand at Wilcon, but they are ridiculously expensive.  We do not have a Lazy Boy near here.

We had stopped at Vic. Mon. a few weeks ago and saw some we liked, but there was one annoying (to me) thing that I did not like on the recliners.  They do not have wood or metal legs; they sit on a steel frame that does have several cushions on it where it touches the floor.  What I don't like about it is that when you look at it from the back, you can see the steel frame on the floor.  One of the units will have the back showing, towards the front entry way.  I am probably being too fussy about it, but I might make a wood frame to hide the frame in the back.

We don't really want so much reclining power but the 3 seater is 3 recliners and the 2 seater is 2 recliners.  We would have been fine with a 3 seat non-recliner but they do not have any non-recliners in the styles we like.  The quality seems pretty good.  Much better than you find at local places and the furniture section at Western Appliance.  I even lifted them up and looked underneath.  Made in China with Italian leather (so they say) seating surfaces and and faux leather in the other areas.  I don't mind that and I have had that with other recliners of this type in the U.S.  They have a lifetime service warranty on the mechanism but after one year you have to pay for parts.  I'm unclear on the warranty for the leather and need to follow up.

The final price is not too bad, compared to others that seem to have quality and compared to LazyBoy prices.  After all the discounts, my final price for both would be about p87000, or about usd 1850.  I would love to get Natuzzi, but something similar (non-reclining) would be p150,000 to 200,000!

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I've been very lucky here regarding furniture, there is a surplus furniture warehouse that has lots from Japan and Europe. I have managed to bag myself 2 x 3 seater leather sofa beds, German made, for P14,000 each plus various other items, drawer chest, coffee tables etc in oak for very reasonable prices. If anybody's looking for furniture I would recommend looking around imported surplus stores, I'm sure the one in Marbel cannot be the only one!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I've been very lucky here regarding furniture, there is a surplus furniture warehouse that has lots from Japan and Europe. I have managed to bag myself 2 x 3 seater leather sofa beds, German made, for P14,000 each plus various other items, drawer chest, coffee tables etc in oak for very reasonable prices. If anybody's looking for furniture I would recommend looking around imported surplus stores, I'm sure the one in Marbel cannot be the only one!

I meant to post about this.  We recently bought a huge Japanese surplus bedroom cabinet.  Very good quality with cedar in the very smooth sliding drawers, some of which are thin and can be easily lifted out like trays.  Very nice design and it was in very good condition.  It cost 10k after bargaining a bit.  The problem is, it is actually too huge for us.  It has a top and bottom so we split it for now.  If we find a more suitable size, we might sell this huge one.

The two Japanese surplus stores we know of here never have sofas.  I have never seen European made furniture here.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2016 at 11:30 AM, OnMyWay said:

Dredging this up as I am about ready to pull the trigger on a sofa (3 seater) and loveseat (2 seater) from Victoria Mondiale.  Hoping that someone has an experience to share.  

We have been to a lot of places and the best available are the Natuzzi brand at Wilcon, but they are ridiculously expensive.  We do not have a Lazy Boy near here.

We had stopped at Vic. Mon. a few weeks ago and saw some we liked, but there was one annoying (to me) thing that I did not like on the recliners.  They do not have wood or metal legs; they sit on a steel frame that does have several cushions on it where it touches the floor.  What I don't like about it is that when you look at it from the back, you can see the steel frame on the floor.  One of the units will have the back showing, towards the front entry way.  I am probably being too fussy about it, but I might make a wood frame to hide the frame in the back.

We don't really want so much reclining power but the 3 seater is 3 recliners and the 2 seater is 2 recliners.  We would have been fine with a 3 seat non-recliner but they do not have any non-recliners in the styles we like.  The quality seems pretty good.  Much better than you find at local places and the furniture section at Western Appliance.  I even lifted them up and looked underneath.  Made in China with Italian leather (so they say) seating surfaces and and faux leather in the other areas.  I don't mind that and I have had that with other recliners of this type in the U.S.  They have a lifetime service warranty on the mechanism but after one year you have to pay for parts.  I'm unclear on the warranty for the leather and need to follow up.

The final price is not too bad, compared to others that seem to have quality and compared to LazyBoy prices.  After all the discounts, my final price for both would be about p87000, or about usd 1850.  I would love to get Natuzzi, but something similar (non-reclining) would be p150,000 to 200,000!

We got our new sofa and loveseat delivered this past Tuesday.  It turns out that we could not get a set of the one I mentioned above unless we waited 30-60 days, and we sold our old sofa Sunday morning, so we did not want to live without a sofa for a long time.They had another one we like in red.  However, after looking at all three options, those first two mentioned here seemed to wobble slightly at the arms.  I went back to the one we originally liked a few weeks ago but they only had stock in black, so we went with that.  They came down one the price from 101k 2 weeks ago to 95k.  It has the highest back of the 3 and the arms seem more sturdy.  It also has a "matte" finish leather rather than the shiny smooth leather, so I think it will be better with the kids.

This is 5 recliners but we don't plan to recline the 3 seater any time soon.  We would have preferred no recliner there.  The 3 seater fits me perfectly lengthwise (I'm 6'2") when I lie down, without my feet being on the armrest.  The width is slightly narrower than other sofas I had in the U.S., but just an inch or two.  The recliners seem fine and the high back works well for a tall person.  The 2 seater works well for my daughter's nap!  Keeps her snug so she can't roll off!

Next job is to find a nice 8 x 10 carpet for the center area.  Those are also scarce here.

DSCN2262.JPG

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

OMW, Glad you finally got something close to what you wanted.  It looks good in t he picture and the price seems good also.  One thing I had been wondering about is the weight of a three seat recliner.  I would suspect it to be at least a two man job to carry around.  At least with tiled floors it could be slid.  The way my wife likes to rearrange the room I can see I might be in for a workout.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

OMW, Glad you finally got something close to what you wanted.  It looks good in t he picture and the price seems good also.  One thing I had been wondering about is the weight of a three seat recliner.  I would suspect it to be at least a two man job to carry around.  At least with tiled floors it could be slid.  The way my wife likes to rearrange the room I can see I might be in for a workout.

Two guys carried it up to our house and it is quite a distance from the curb to the front door, up two sets of stairs that are probably 15 feet elevation.  They had to stop several times.  However, you are right in that both slide easily on the tiles.  I have pushed the two seater around and it is no problem at all.

• Like 1