Planning for Assisted Care

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The United States Department of Health & Human Services estimates that 70% of Americans who reach the age of 65 years will need assisted living sometime during the remainder of their life. Custodial care is not covered by Medicare. You have to pay for it. 

One thing nice about residing in the Philippines is the low cost for highly skilled healthcare workers. I have spent time making plans while hoping my wife and I will be part of the 30% group that won't need care services. Anyone out there also making contingency plans, just in case they will need someone to help them in their old age?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Anyone out there also making contingency plans

About 8 years ago, when we reached the decision to retire here (ages 51&52) we started making plans. We designed our house so that the upstairs is the master suite and the downstairs with its own "nice" comfort room, kitchen, living room and "family room" which can be a bed room when we are to old to negotiate the stairs.

Our maids family has worked for my wifes family for years. One of the extended female members will continue to function as a maid and I am confident that we will be able to hire skilled and competent caretakers with the number of nursing graduates every year.

Will in the long run the care givers and maid etc.  start taking advantage of us in our dotage? Sure, I am almost positive they will to an extent, but by that time, as long as my diapers are changed regularly....I am good with that :hystery:.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

One thing nice about residing in the Philippines is the low cost for highly skilled healthcare workers.

Well JJ I would certainly question the Highly Skilled bit & in a lot of cases even the Low Cost, The Last two I came across for My neighbours Mother, a Local lady, The Lady had to use a car to get to the House daily, this was accounted for in the Costing. As to employ one Full Time and Live in, Both wanted salaries that were on Par with them Working as OFW's and would have included all the Trimmings, Yes it would be nice but I do tend to Think the Family and help way is the way to Go. A helper as Care Giver is not just the Same thing as Nursing Care which I feel is what you are driving at but then again Location, Location is the key word I think added to which, the cost will maybe Double where a foreigner or Foreign money is concerned

Just my 10 cents but......................:89:

Edited by Jack Peterson
Little bit of Grammar sorting, all good now I think
  • Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

If how I am being cared for now by my SO is any guideline, I will be fine.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who is a Korean War Vet and 84 now. Wife died last year. Now living on his SS check only and a stipend from the VA for his war service. He is in an 1 bed room unit at an ACLF in Florida, $2,000+ a month, including meals. Last year their rent went up 5%, this year 4%. He has enough money for the remainder of 2016 then he will not be able to meet his monthly living expenses and will have to transfer to a studio unit. This will last for a while until the rent catches up once again and he is out of options to live independently. Also, this ACLF has a waiting list and a $2,000 move in fee or transfer fee due to complete carpet and furniture change out when a resident leaves the room.

If he did not have a wife, he could have, should have made plans to move to Phils for the remainder of his life where his SS check would have covered all he needed.    

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Bruce said:

If he did not have a wife, he could have, should have made plans to move to Phils for the remainder of his life where his SS check would have covered all he needed.    

Agreed to a degree but Surely it may have go Back to square one? at 84 My guess is that he will soon need the sort of care JJ is talking about and even here I think it is going to Cost. Nothing Negative here just a Positive thing on the fact, as a Foreigner he will pay more as  we all do on a lot of things. NO? Hmmmmmmm OK then watch this space.  :shades:

chris49
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, scott h said:

About 8 years ago, when we reached the decision to retire here (ages 51&52) we started making plans. We designed our house so that the upstairs is the master suite and the downstairs with its own "nice" comfort room, kitchen, living room and "family room" which can be a bed room when we are to old to negotiate the stairs.

Our maids family has worked for my wifes family for years. One of the extended female members will continue to function as a maid and I am confident that we will be able to hire skilled and competent caretakers with the number of nursing graduates every year.

Will in the long run the care givers and maid etc.  start taking advantage of us in our dotage? Sure, I am almost positive they will to an extent, but by that time, as long as my diapers are changed regularly....I am good with that :hystery:.

Not necessarily a nursing grad. A graduate of a 6 months TESDA Caregiver course, who might look for 1-2 years experience to put on the resume.

However, for the Aussies who live in Australia, once we are disabled, the government will pay a caregiver to look after me full time. Maybe my daughter a dual passport** holder might like to do that for a few years. I will be 83-84 by the time she's ready, but it might also be her chance to go to her "home" country and live for a while.

An Aussie who takes courses overseas, is still eligible for government assisted TAFE courses (x 1 course) only, so definitely might look at that.

Gina is also young enough and she also has some caregiver experience, so I reckon she could handle it. The biggest aspect might be the supplies needed and if we could afford that over a number of years. In Australia some of it would be free.

**Anak ko, Caitlin meron 3 nationalities but doesn't yet hold the Aussie passport. She has the US and Philippines.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well JJ I would certainly question the Highly Skilled bit & in a lot of cases even the Low Cost, The Last two I came across for My neighbours Mother, a Local lady, The Lady had to use a car to get to the House daily, this was accounted for in the Costing. As to employ one Full Time and Live in, Both wanted salaries that were on Par with them Working as OFW's and would have included all the Trimmings, Yes it would be nice but I do tend to Think the Family and help way is the way to Go. A helper as Care Giver is not just the Same thing as Nursing Care which I feel is what you are driving at but then again Location, Location is the key word I think added to which, the cost will maybe Double where a foreigner or Foreign money is concerned

Just my 10 cents but......................:89:

In the United States, you can hire a live-in caregiver through an agency for about $18 an hour. That's for 8 hours work. The issue is qualification. States require either six or eight weeks of practical training. No written exams because this is a way to provide high school dropouts or new immigrants with higher paying jobs than flipping hamburgers. Many trainees are functional illiterates who cannot read or write beyond the 4th grade level. This means they cannot read prescription labels and dosage.

In the Philippines, some will try to take advantage of your circumstances. You are correct about needing a local person to negotiate prices or else Filipinos want to be paid like an OFW. 

I had discussed with two Filipino doctors about starting a business wherein we provide foreigners with trained caregivers. At PHP 1,200 per day, it would have been profitable. The wage, less our fees, is for 12 hours work. The doctors mentioned that a large number of applicants will be Registered Nurses (RN) because Australia requires practical training in caregiving. Having cared for a foreigner in the Philippines would be a plus.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Bruce said:

I have a friend who is a Korean War Vet and 84 now. Wife died last year. Now living on his SS check only and a stipend from the VA for his war service. He is in an 1 bed room unit at an ACLF in Florida, $2,000+ a month, including meals. Last year their rent went up 5%, this year 4%. He has enough money for the remainder of 2016 then he will not be able to meet his monthly living expenses and will have to transfer to a studio unit. This will last for a while until the rent catches up once again and he is out of options to live independently. Also, this ACLF has a waiting list and a $2,000 move in fee or transfer fee due to complete carpet and furniture change out when a resident leaves the room.

Each state has a different set of rules, but one possibility is to declare bankruptcy. The state's healthcare agency might cover the cost at a facility of their choosing. Typically, all your remaining assets except for $2,000 goes to the state. The same for all income. You get $50 per month allowance for miscellaneous expenses. 

Some families try to burden the state with the financial responsibility to care for aging parents. States are passing laws claiming the children are ultimately responsible. They can garnish wages and assets belonging to children to pay for care services.

bows00
Posted
Posted

I have a mother that is turning 80 this year who will eventually be needing assisted living.  Unfortunately, we live in Hawaii and the cost of care will eventually bankrupt her hard earned savings.  And yes, this is a very difficult subject to discuss, and the rest of the family are in a state of denial, including me, and there is currently no plan in place.

But I have been pondering the idea of taking her with me to the Philippines once I have secured my retirement in October 2017.  She will not be needing the care yet, I estimate for at least another 3 years.  

So this thread peaked my interest, but it does not discuss the actual costs involved.  So how much is the going rate for decent live in professional care?  With my current budget, I was hoping it would cost no more than $68,000P per month.  Is this a feasible price?  Would I need more?