The Six Day Challenge.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
With a fridge or without. Ours is not working currently, so that makes it more difficult.

I'm giving this one to Gina, maybe in 2 weeks from now.

Go to the market on Monday, buy what you think you will need for a week. Then rely on vendors who will drop by the house daily or every 2 days. No more trips to the market allowed. Take your weekly allowance of 4000, and if successful keep the balance as extra spending money. Assuming all condiments, oil, salt, sugar, toyo, bagoong, are stocked. Rice is stocked. Fruits and vegetables from the garden or from the neighbors.

Today we have a big bag of avocadoes. So having them for breakfast and some more tonight. Someone died, so the family will go over there. I might get a plate of Igadoo, local pork dish with vegetables, later. If out on the bike I usually have snacks or merienda in the AM.

So what's in it for me? If no marketing, no expense for petrol. Also no niggling for extra money and no browsing the market buying sundry items, things we don't need. Gina can keep the extra so it might be a be a win-win if I also save money.

So can you do that? How many days?
Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

this is how i try to live...  not because i have to but because it's how my neighbors do...  and i find i do save a lot more this way...   of course, there is always that unexpected trip that passes a mall and it's so nice to slip in for a bit to keep cool in the aircon... 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Does the 6 day challenge mean not going to the mall for 6 days? If so, I probably could because I buy all the groceries I need once a week. My wife goes to the local wet market often to buy fresh veggies. A fish vendor comes around daily with fresh fish and buy fresh yellowfin tuna or fresh blue marlin. I'll buy one or the other sometimes twice a week. I still go to a mall but not for groceries. Usually to eat out or coffee with a friend. Add once a month to S & R for pizza and frozen food. 

I could stay home for 6 days without going to the mall but I don't. 

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

We go to Cebu City about twice a month, and grocery shopping is one thing we do at a  Mall and nearby supermarket. The city/Mandaue is about 2 1/2 hours away, so we have to stock up. On an off week, we shop at a supermarket about 45 minutes from us. I could never do without a fridge. I have a lot of meat in the freezer, and i'm always getting ice cubes out for cold water,  and I need it for cold milk and drinks too. A big fridge is one of my favorite things along with my stove/oven. I'd be lost without it. We shop at the local wet market for fish and additional  local fruits and vegetables about every other day, and the neighborhood bakery sells Selecta ice cream, so those all need to be kept cold too- 

I might not be at the mall all the time, and being in the province for us, it's just more comfortable and pleasant and often necessary to have it.

You seem to have a good plan in mind for yourselves though, tell us how it works out over time.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

OK CLARIFICATION.

We all go to a supermarket a few times a month to buy supplies or top up. Some members, if they live near a mall might go there everyday or almost. Some people, as I might have done, go to Starbucks everyday to drink coffee and read the newspaper.

My topic mean the local wet markets and changi, where our wives are used to going daily or every other day.

The 6 or 7 day challenge means go to the wet market on Monday and go through to the following Monday without going again.

One problem might be the Filipina compulsion to go and buy something. They can't go 2 days without getting the impulse. That's why it's a challenge.

Fish from the vendors, or any produce brought door to door is allowed.

How many times has it happened that you went out to the market and as soon as you get home, the vendor is there with a similar product? When squid are running, we can get all we want for as low as 80/kg, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, chris49 said:

How many times has it happened that you went out to the market and as soon as you get home, the vendor is there with a similar product?

not once...  the local wet market doesn't open until 6 or 7 am and the vendors are outside my gate from 5:30 on...  :whistling::mocking:

i am bob
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Does the 6 day challenge mean not going to the mall for 6 days? If so, I probably could because I buy all the groceries I need once a week. My wife goes to the local wet market often to buy fresh veggies. A fish vendor comes around daily with fresh fish and buy fresh yellowfin tuna or fresh blue marlin. I'll buy one or the other sometimes twice a week. I still go to a mall but not for groceries. Usually to eat out or coffee with a friend. Add once a month to S & R for pizza and frozen food. 

I could stay home for 6 days without going to the mall but I don't. 

i do the same...  vendors or local store most days...  i live in a small subdivision but i have 13 sari saris, 4 restaurants of any size, 4 barbeque, 1 lechon manok / liempo stand, 1 fish stand, 1 pizzaria, 1 dentist office, 1 pharmacy, 7 doctors, 1 water refill station, 2 bakery, 1 glass repair, 1 hardware, 1 building supply, a car wash, 2 auto parts, 3 construction companies, 2 churches, and what ever i missed...  plus i can walk around the subdivision in under 5 minutes...  did i mention the number of pnp and senior armed forces that live here too?  probably why there are so many things available in my subdivision...  lol

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, i am bob said:

i do the same...  vendors or local store most days...  i live in a small subdivision but i have 13 sari saris, 4 restaurants of any size, 4 barbeque, 1 lechon manok / liempo stand, 1 fish stand, 1 pizzaria, 1 dentist office, 1 pharmacy, 7 doctors, 1 water refill station, 2 bakery, 1 glass repair, 1 hardware, 1 building supply, a car wash, 2 auto parts, 3 construction companies, 2 churches, and what ever i missed...  plus i can walk around the subdivision in under 5 minutes...  did i mention the number of pnp and senior armed forces that live here too?  probably why there are so many things available in my subdivision...  lol

:whistling: Small? Can't begin to imagine the Rent you must pay for all those amenities and high end neighbours :SugarwareZ-004: 

:huh:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:whistling: Small? Can't begin to imagine the Rent you must pay for all those amenities and high end neighbours :SugarwareZ-004: 

:huh:

Morning All:morning1:

p7000...  lol

chris49
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, i am bob said:

not once...  the local wet market doesn't open until 6 or 7 am and the vendors are outside my gate from 5:30 on...  :whistling::mocking:

Avoid them, that's yesterday's produce.

Fresh fish comes in around 10 AM, but in that case we will go down to the beach to buy them.

• Like 1