Looking for Info

Darán Tóibín
Posted
Posted

Just realy looking to know (before I travel) is it possible to rent property in Cebu or philippines as a hole with out a Bank account?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hello Daran, and welcome to the forum. We have a lot of members who rent here and I am sure they will give some input. It would help if you have an idea of what area of the Philippines your thinking of visiting, for how long and if your looking for a cheap apartment, high end condo, or just a place to lay your weary head after a day of touring the country. The more information you can give the better the responses will be, and there will be a lot of them.

I do not rent, but my gut feeling is that it should not be a real problem, in a lot of ways this is very much still a cash and carry society.

Again, welcome and enjoy:thumbsup:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Welcome and to answer your question about renting without a bank account, Yes and No.

It really depends on the landlord. If you are planning on staying a few months you may need to lease. Many require a deposit, plus 1st and last months rent. The problem is if you are planning on 6 months or a year you need to provide 6 months or 12 months post dated checks. Yes, you will need to establish a bank account if this is the case. They will not accept checks from a foreign bank.

Here is what I did. I stayed at a hotel and paid 16000 Pesos cash for a month in advance. During that month I established a bank account at BPI and shopped around for a better place to stay. I found one and arranged the contract and paid with post dated checks. This is one way. Others may have their way of renting a place without a bank account.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Out in the province should be no problem, if that is where you intend to go. There may be a lease and there will certainly be a deposit. I had a 6 month lease and deposit for a months rent and when the lease was over I stayed renting month to month with the understanding that I would give one months notice if I should move. The big city may be different.

• Like 1

Darán Tóibín
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, scott h said:

Hello Daran, and welcome to the forum. We have a lot of members who rent here and I am sure they will give some input. It would help if you have an idea of what area of the Philippines your thinking of visiting, for how long and if your looking for a cheap apartment, high end condo, or just a place to lay your weary head after a day of touring the country. The more information you can give the better the responses will be, and there will be a lot of them.

I do not rent, but my gut feeling is that it should not be a real problem, in a lot of ways this is very much still a cash and carry society.

Again, welcome and enjoy:thumbsup:

Looking at Cebu and looking to stay long enough to get an ACR-I Card, just wonding is it possible to rent without a Philippines back account? Cost I'm not worried about so middle to high end.. Thanks again

• Like 1

Darán Tóibín
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Welcome and to answer your question about renting without a bank account, Yes and No.

It really depends on the landlord. If you are planning on staying a few months you may need to lease. Many require a deposit, plus 1st and last months rent. The problem is if you are planning on 6 months or a year you need to provide 6 months or 12 months post dated checks. Yes, you will need to establish a bank account if this is the case. They will not accept checks from a foreign bank.

Here is what I did. I stayed at a hotel and paid 16000 Pesos cash for a month in advance. During that month I established a bank account at BPI and shopped around for a better place to stay. I found one and arranged the contract and paid with post dated checks. This is one way. Others may have their way of renting a place without a bank account.

Thanks for that. Yep was thinking of doing somthing along your line's. Looking to stay long term but wont be able to apply for a ACR-I Card for three or so mouths. Founf this place atartelledeacrenas where i hope I can just pay in cash mount by mount.

Edited by scott h
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

the standard filipino lease is 1 to 2 months advance and 6 months to one year...  after the lease has expired, you may remain (should the landlord agree) with the requirement to give 1 or 2 months notice upon moving.  usually this is spelled out in the lease but, if not, the absolute min standard is 1 month in order to get your deposit back...

as for your original question?  i do not bank in the philippines...  i pay my deposit in cash and monthly rent in cash...    for hotels?  i tell them to use my credit card as a security reference but i will pay cash...  and i have yet to have any problems...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Just so you know the different terms here Daran, a appartlette is what we in the states call a Motel. (don't know what they are called in Ireland :hystery:). Basically a budget hotel. Some you can rent for a period of 8 hours or so, just to give you an idea. I am almost positive that if you stay in one of those just your passport will suffice.

• Like 1

Darán Tóibín
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

Just so you know the different terms here Daran, a appartlette is what we in the states call a Motel. (don't know what they are called in Ireland :hystery:). Basically a budget hotel. Some you can rent for a period of 8 hours or so, just to give you an idea. I am almost positive that if you stay in one of those just your passport will suffice.

Yes I'll have to brush up on my American English lol. Thanks...

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Hi Daran. Welcome to the forum. This was a useful question for me too.