Purchasing a Condo in Cebu.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

We did an airbnb in a high end condo by Mall of Asia last Oct, beautful swimming pools etc, it was no more than living in a cupboard. Philippines condo's you don't have any land so nothing to be gained there and a life expectancy of about 50 year before it has to be comdemed.

So would you be better off to just lease land or a new home for 25 and 25  seems it would cost less?

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I think if you do the sums it probably would be cheaper. I personally wouldn't by a condo as an investment, only to live in. I've only been in a couple of condos, one in Manila and a friends in Subic and to be quite honest they were both nothing more than a wide corridor.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 20/06/2017 at 4:06 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

My bill is direct from veco so this can not be the case in all condos. 

Agree with JGF, our electricity bill in the condo came straight from Meralco. (Manila)

Cheers, Steve.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

So would you be better off to just lease land or a new home for 25 and 25  seems it would cost less?

I depends where you want to live.  In downtown Cebu you would be better off buying a condo than trying to find a decent piece of residential land that you could lease for 25 years.

But that segues to a story of a fellow I met a couple weeks back.  He had a gf and arranged to lease a piece of land (about 100 sqm) from her parents.  25 year lease for a very small amount.  He proceeded to build himself a small house for about 400,000 pesos.  Its not much to look at but it fulfills his needs perfectly.  (When I say he built it, he did a lot of the work himself but hired some workers to help out with the heavy stuff as he is in his 70's) 

4 years later, the gf has moved on and Herb still has the house.  The parents of the ex know that it was their daughter's fault because she moved on to a filipino bf so they have no problems with continuing the lease.  He has a new gf now and he is happy.  He expects the lease will outlast his lifespan so no worries.

Just one idea for cheap living here.  No one hassles him because they are patient.  The parents of the ex gf know they will eventually get their  land back WITH a nice little house on it.  Its cheaper than rent over a long period of time but it does tie you down as it would be problematic if he ever attempted to sell the place.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I was watching a youtube video where a foreigner was looking at various condos in Cebu, he has lived in two different condos and I think he is looking to trade up and using it as an opportunity to make videos. The last one he looked at, a parking space was 650,000 pesos!

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Sorry to butt in guy's but I fast forwarded a bit.......so what happened to Fandango? :89:

robert k
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Sorry to butt in guy's but I fast forwarded a bit.......so what happened to Fandango? :89:

You really ought to go read page 2. It seems Fandango had a chip on his shoulder and was taking it out on Dave Hounddriver and JGF.

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I depends where you want to live.  In downtown Cebu you would be better off buying a condo than trying to find a decent piece of residential land that you could lease for 25 years.

But that segues to a story of a fellow I met a couple weeks back.  He had a gf and arranged to lease a piece of land (about 100 sqm) from her parents.  25 year lease for a very small amount.  He proceeded to build himself a small house for about 400,000 pesos.  Its not much to look at but it fulfills his needs perfectly.  (When I say he built it, he did a lot of the work himself but hired some workers to help out with the heavy stuff as he is in his 70's) 

4 years later, the gf has moved on and Herb still has the house.  The parents of the ex know that it was their daughter's fault because she moved on to a filipino bf so they have no problems with continuing the lease.  He has a new gf now and he is happy.  He expects the lease will outlast his lifespan so no worries.

Just one idea for cheap living here.  No one hassles him because they are patient.  The parents of the ex gf know they will eventually get their  land back WITH a nice little house on it.  Its cheaper than rent over a long period of time but it does tie you down as it would be problematic if he ever attempted to sell the place.

They sell the leased properties in Subic.  Why would they not be able to sell the remaining time on the lease?  It was stated that after time the condos are condemned. 

Edited by Gerald Glatt
  • Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, robert k said:

You really ought to go read page 2. It seems Fandango had a chip on his shoulder and was taking it out on Dave Hounddriver and JGF.

Yes Robert I got that far then skipped to page seven as I noted it was  last August 6th 2016 our friend Fandango posted.

Turn out to be an interesting Thread after all.

Question being, was it a chip on his shoulder or a large potato? :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

He was booted out of the forum. Waste of time trying to help someone who had his head up his ass.  This topic is getting up to almost a year old and the first pages sort of become irrelevant. 

• Like 3