Bigger Bikes

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

I too have done my fair share of research and poring over countless ads, and have eventually returned to my original plan of buying a Suzuki Bandit, 650cc. It's big enough to go on expressways, agile enough to manage traffic and has a much more upright (and comfortable) seating position than other bikes in its class. Price at 400k PHP is also very reasonable I feel and spare parts shouldn't be too hard to get, given that they sell them in different places all over PH. 

Many 2nd hand bike bikes on the market are so rare that any issue or small repair will be hugely more complicated, and spare parts impossible to find without first importing them. 

http://suzuki.com.ph/motors/motorcycles/big-bikes/bandit-650/

Over time I will exchange the modern front light with a more classic, round look and change to handle bar to a more straight version, but other than that I like the look of the bike and Bandits are very reliable bikes so should be fine. 

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

I would imagine the back door service to be just as important in choosing a big road bike.  Can you talk to the after service guys to determine items of high failure and if they have them readily in stock.  

Sorry sir.....nut in stuck!

• Like 1

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I went and sat on a Duke 390 today and the seat is made of steel! And you have that some what forward lean to it. I know I should buy what is available and common for parts etc and getting it worked on, BUT I saw the new BMW G310R wow nice looking but not good for jungle roads. I will check out the shops in Dumagete in November and talk to them about what they can order and sit on some bikes. My , if you want to call it an issue is the roads in the mountains would be more fun to ride on a street bike but all those unpaved roads need to be explored. Now I could buy 2 bikes but I plan to move and travel around for awhile in the first 2 years or so. And I can't ride 2 at one time! But after that period of time this may be an option.

robert k
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I went and sat on a Duke 390 today and the seat is made of steel! And you have that some what forward lean to it. I know I should buy what is available and common for parts etc and getting it worked on, BUT I saw the new BMW G310R wow nice looking but not good for jungle roads. I will check out the shops in Dumagete in November and talk to them about what they can order and sit on some bikes. My , if you want to call it an issue is the roads in the mountains would be more fun to ride on a street bike but all those unpaved roads need to be explored. Now I could buy 2 bikes but I plan to move and travel around for awhile in the first 2 years or so. And I can't ride 2 at one time! But after that period of time this may be an option.

David Whithall used to have, maybe still does have, green trail rides and many people went on all kinds of bikes including a Honda TMX on street tires. None of them, dirt bike or other did well when they hit a patch of slick as snot lime on the road. The difference on gravel between a street tire and knobby is maybe 2%, they both wash out. Not to mention that wherever you go, you will probably see some Filipino bike sitting there, up the mountain...on slick street tires because that's all he has. Something off the rack that might do it all would be some form of motard with fat tires.

As I have said before, if they had Yamaha TW200's there, I would probably have to buy one. Suzuki Vanvan much the same but I would limit it to less demanding trails as the suspension is not as good, but those big tires do grip the ground/road. The Yamaha will do 70 mph in stock trim but they are somewhat gearbound which is good for mountains. Some people change the rear sprocket to 45T from 50T, some people put on both sprockets and take out a few links to use the 45T sprocket. I haven't been everywhere but I never saw anyplace in the Philippines where I thought it would be a good idea/ safe to go more than 70 mph. Dogs, children and cars will dart out in front of you, trucks will see you but pull out anyway because might makes right.

• Like 1