New Angle on a old Scam.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Background: she's a 19 yo Filipina HS graduate. She contacted me on a US Military FB site. It's supposed to be for American Vets, but she got on there claiming her fiance was with the US Army in Germany.

She sought my advice.

Her fiance is on a secret base in Germany special assignment. There are no camera's allowed and they are not allowed off base. He contacted her on Messenger using audio only. He proposed marriage and she accepted. He is restricted to the base so he can't get out to process a fiance visa. But he belongs to a Peacekeeping Force which is actually based in Nigeria (yes that's exactly what she told me).:bonk:  I told her no way and she told me I'm crazy. She has not seen his face not even a picture.

She must raise $600 to start the process and he will finish it when he's free. She doesn't have $600 so he tells her to pay installment $200 x 3. She doesn't have that so she sends $55 and is trying to raise more. She sent me the receipt from Western Union to W.U. in Nigeria in the name of a Nigerian.

I told her in every way it's a known scam but she refused to listen. I actually unfriended her from me an the group, but she kept coming back with more questions. She's working in fast food trying to raise the $600. She may have gotten the message but she did not get back to me. Gina discouraged the contact and it lapsed after that.

I will not ask what people think. Too dam obvious.

Clever scam nonetheless. A new angle on the known Nigerian bait and hook technique.

DavidK
Posted
Posted

What and not even the offer of USD10 million in her bank account at the end of it? These Nigerians are just getting lazy. Not like the old days where they at least went to the trouble of creating fictitious bankers drafts (which might have been convincing had they only put two different signatures on them) and a much more convincing tale of woe. :hystery:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

stupid.png

Edit:  This thread also proves that the signature image I have used for a long time is as accurate today as it was when I put it up.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted
Just now, DavidK said:

What and not even the offer of USD10 million in her bank account at the end of it? These Nigerians are just getting lazy. Not like the old days where they at least went to the trouble of creating fictitious bankers drafts (which might have been convincing had they only put two different signatures on them) and a much more convincing tale of woe. :hystery:

This one is more subtle. If anyone would even think of such a scam, this one is well thought out.

Going only for the $600 and preying on the naivety of a young girl. $600 if ever she could raise $100 or $50 a month might take a year to pay off.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Very sad state of affairs. You did all you could trying to open her eyes. Of course US will be blamed by her at the end and not Nigeria.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Side question, why did she contact / choose you for help?

I have helped a Filipina by ending a scam attempt once, and if you have enough information, you can do it.  My wife's cousin is a very sweet, good hearted widow in her 50's.  She has been trying to meet someone online.  A few years ago, she was swooning over this guy on FB, supposedly an American, talking about love, etc.  I could see his profile on FB and it did not seem to be the type of guy who would be interested in her.  Very good looking, sporty, 50ish, with a generic name like David Smith or something, and almost no history in FB.  I grabbed his profile pic and did a google image search.  Found pictures of this person being used in what appeared to be several fake profiles on social media sites, using different names.  I reported "him" to FB and his profile was gone the next day.

I never told her what I did.  I told my wife she could tell her if she wanted, but she never did.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

Side question, why did she contact / choose you for help?

I have helped a Filipina by ending a scam attempt once, and if you have enough information, you can do it.  My wife's cousin is a very sweet, good hearted widow in her 50's.  She has been trying to meet someone online.  A few years ago, she was swooning over this guy on FB, supposedly an American, talking about love, etc.  I could see his profile on FB and it did not seem to be the type of guy who would be interested in her.  Very good looking, sporty, 50ish, with a generic name like David Smith or something, and almost no history in FB.  I grabbed his profile pic and did a google image search.  Found pictures of this person being used in what appeared to be several fake profiles on social media sites, using different names.  I reported "him" to FB and his profile was gone the next day.

I never told her what I did.  I told my wife she could tell her if she wanted, but she never did.

She plucked my name off the US Vets in the Philippines FB site.

She says I answered a question there but it's been a while.

US Military Veterans in the Philippines. https://www.facebook.com/groups/usmilitarypinoy/

She might have just picked out my name but she said from the site. Site is restricted and I was asked a few questions before they accepted me.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I get the ones from a very sexy girl showing only one picture and only a few friends.

Asking me to join sex cam sites or whatever. You can usually spot them.

davewe
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, chris49 said:

This one is more subtle. If anyone would even think of such a scam, this one is well thought out.

Going only for the $600 and preying on the naivety of a young girl. $600 if ever she could raise $100 or $50 a month might take a year to pay off.

Chris - You seem to be implying that it's someone (from Nigeria?) scamming her. It seems just as likely that she is the scammer and the next step would have been to ask you to help with the $600.

Either way I would cease contact. Good luck!

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
Just now, davewe said:

Chris - You seem to be implying that it's someone (from Nigeria?) scamming her. It seems just as likely that she is the scammer and the next step would have been to ask you to help with the $600.

Either way I would cease contact. Good luck!

She didn't. She's totally naive from the conversation.

But I did unfriend her. I did my part.

• Like 2