Mosquitoes is the bug bear nearly over?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Scientist's are planning to release milllion's of "modified mosquitoes" in their fight against viruses carried by present day mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes infected with a bug called Wolbachia will be released in Brazil and Colombia in an experiment which it is hoped with time will eradicate the carriers of the Zikia virus amongst others. A $18 million project funded by an international team will include funds from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.

How a Tiny Bacterium Called Wolbachia Could Defeat Dengue - Scientific American

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Great idea infecting two countries to see what happens, an $18 million experiment releasing millions of "modified mosquitoes" we hope will blah blah blah, but then again it might not. Fast forward a decade... a $100 million experiment to combat the newest oopsi-doopsie B virus caused by the $40 million experiment to eradicate the oopsie-doopsie A virus caused by the $18 million experiment. The oopsie-doopsie A and B viruses have killed and infected 100 times the people the original virus did. Third time is a charm?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89:OFF cream.jpg 40/50 peso from your nearest stockist

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

There will always be another disease and odds are good mosquito will carry the new disease also.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Mosquitos need to be absolutely eradicated. They have killed more people in history than any other single cause. Genetic engineering can get us there.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/27/2016 at 10:29 AM, Reboot said:

Mosquitos need to be absolutely eradicated. They have killed more people in history than any other single cause. Genetic engineering can get us there.

How true.

Edited by Kuya John

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Some people dont realise just how importent  eradicating  dengue fever in Philippines  would be.

"Should we just do nothing"

Negative attitudes of some people make me laugh!

Edited by Kuya John

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Some people dont realise just how importent  eradicating  dengue fever in Philippines  would be.

"Should we just do nothing"

Negative attitudes of some people make me laugh!

I don't think my attitude is negative but I hear AlwaysRT loud and clear.

The ability to eradicate all mosquitos world wide is the same ability to eradicate humans world wide, except it would work faster on humans.

The law of unintended consequences is a natural law, like gravity, that can not be repealed by any judicial body.

I believe I heard that there is now a vaccine for Dengue? Mosquito carriers of Dengue become so from drinking the blood of someone with Dengue? How about if we vaccinate everyone, so there would be no source of Dengue for the mosquito to carry?

I have no faith that eradicating mosquitos would be possible, but possibly you could knock them back and have a little space of a few years before the new breed of immune mosquitos increased in numbers equal to today.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I do not believe I was being negative either. I do question the idea of an experiment of the type and size that has the potential of killing more people than the disease it is trying to prevent. Until lab experiments have progressed to the point of releasing in the 'wild' is not an experiment, the risk to humans and the environment is not acceptable.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

While I realise that you will not wipe mosguitoes out completely.

The point I am trying to make is that any attempt  to solve the problem should be welcomed.

Cancer has not been eradicated, reseach still goes on, but there are people walking around today that years ago would of died, if not for the experiments of science in the field of medicine.

Lighten up guy's I haven't had my cornflakes yet!

• Like 2