Family Involvement In Relationships

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Methersgate said:

Thanks. Yes, I can comment on the UK and I think other European countries are very similar.

The situation may have changed recently, however as at 2012, the French Embassy in Beijing would issue a one year Schengen visa to the wife of an EU citizen with very little hassle and free-of-charge. On the other hand when an unmarried Filipina friend of mine applied for both a UK visa and a French Schengen visa she found the British visa far less trouble to get both in terms of time and the supporting documents required  (like K's friend she had a good job to return to).

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/24/2016 at 11:46 PM, not so old china hand said:

The situation may have changed recently, however as at 2012, the French Embassy in Beijing would issue a one year Schengen visa to the wife of an EU citizen with very little hassle and free-of-charge. On the other hand when an unmarried Filipina friend of mine applied for both a UK visa and a French Schengen visa she found the British visa far less trouble to get both in terms of time and the supporting documents required  (like K's friend she had a good job to return to).

My wife got a French Schengen visa last fall without hardly a question.  However, she applied in the US, has a job and Green Card.  As was mentioned before, it all boils down to what ties you back (and brings you back) to your place of residence.  I had some language training a while back and there were some consular officers from the State Department in my class.  I heard a lot of bizarre, entertaining stories, but the bottom line always came back to the probability that they would leave and go home when they were supposed to.

Edited by Maxheadspace
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This popped up again and I realized I had not updated.

I don't see much on FB but they are still together.  He sent flowers on her B-day a few days ago and she posted that.  My wife said he planning another visit soon.

• Like 1