The British Government

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The chances of hiding in the Philippines and escaping your own country's laws are smaller now,I wounder if in the coming months we see a few deported. :th_thbarbaque: UK hails signing of treaty on extradition with Philippines MANILA, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- The British government on Sunday welcomed the signing of treaties on extradition and mutual legal cooperation with the Philippines, which specifically targets British sex offenders or pedophiles in the country. Colin Crorkin, deputy chief of mission of the British Embassy in Manila, said the agreements will prevent registered and active pedophiles from escaping justice or from eyeing the Philippines as a place to stay. "This agreement is an indication of our continued cooperation. With this arrangement, the convicted pedophiles here can be brought back to the UK to face prosecution," Crorkin said. Britain is among the world's worst sex tourism offenders. Reports said men from the UK and Australia are allegedly perpetrators of child prostitution in the Philippines. Britain has listed over 5,000 to 6,000 known pedophile tourists. India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, the Philippines, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and some Arab countries are the most favored destinations of sex tourists. Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo and his counterpart Lord Mandelson inked the treaties for the Philippines and the United Kingdom, respectively. The Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) is a bilateral mechanism allowing the Philippines and the United Kingdom to assist each other in the investigative, prosecutorial and judicial processes related to criminal matters. It increases the effectiveness of cooperation between the two countries in combating transnational and serious crimes such as terrorism, drug trafficking, money laundering, and exploitation of women and children. The extradition treaty, meanwhile, provides the legal framework for either country to obtain custody of criminal offenders who have sought refuge in the other's territory. Apart from the UK, the Philippines has signed a similar agreement with the United States, Canada, Australia, China, China's Hong Kong, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Micronesia, Spain, Switzerland and India.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

"Britain is among the world's worst sex tourism offenders. Reports said men from the UK and Australia are allegedly perpetrators of child prostitution in the Philippines." Dishonest reporting it should read reported sex offenders. Keep in mind that an 80 year old Saudi man can legally marry a 10 year old child. "We" get our oil from there so it's OK.Child brides, YemenChild bride Saudi

Travis
Posted
Posted

I would bet a lot of them live in Cebu I see so many walking around the malls with kid hand & hand & they all cant be their children because none look mixed. how many of those animals marry women who already have children & how many of them molest those children :th_thbarbaque:

brock
Posted
Posted
I would bet a lot of them live in Cebu I see so many walking around the malls with kid hand & hand & they all cant be their children because none look mixed. how many of those animals marry women who already have children & how many of them molest those children :th_thbarbaque:
I live in Cebu, I dont see perverts with children in the malls, All I see is fathers with their children.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
I live in Cebu, I dont see perverts with children in the malls, All I see is fathers with their children.
I am not sure what Traveler has seen or what he is referring to, but I have seen men in the Cebu malls, in and around the French Baker, in some JollieBee's etc. and they were with obviously underage girls of maybe 13 to 17 and by the conversation they were having, they were lovers or whatever you would want to call a relationship like that and the stupid part is that they were in no way trying to hide it from the people around them and actually seemed proud that they could score with a child. I told one such guy off because he was an American and made me feel disgusted by his actions and words. I have also seen many foreigners with their children and they were acting very different than perverts do. Edited by Mr. Lee

Mik
Posted
Posted

Extradition treaties are useful for returning fugitives. But a person should be tried for his (alleged) crime in the country it ocurred. How can anyone have a fair trial if the witnesses for his defense are all located in another country?

mike
Posted
Posted
Extradition treaties are useful for returning fugitives. But a person should be tried for his (alleged) crime in the country it ocurred. How can anyone have a fair trial if the witnesses for his defense are all located in another country?
This will not affect trial situations> Gaol terms will be served in home country so Filipino gaols are not having to use up scarce resources, got to be good

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
This will not affect trial situations> Gaol terms will be served in home country so Filipino gaols are not having to use up scarce resources, got to be good
I think someone found guilty of molesting children in the Philippines belongs in a Philippine jail. They have my permission to use minimum resources on him. One scoop of rice a day and comfy accomidations with 9 other guys in a two man cell seems appropriate for his crime. Let him rot.

mike
Posted
Posted
I think someone found guilty of molesting children in the Philippines belongs in a Philippine jail. They have my permission to use minimum resources on him. One scoop of rice a day and comfy accomidations with 9 other guys in a two man cell seems appropriate for his crime. Let him rot.
Fine except they cannot even afford the minimum resources hence they are keen to have such a treaty. Fully support the sentiments, just wish home based gaols were as savage.M

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

This could be the tip of the iceberg though.. as it could help catch internet related sex crimes. Not sure how far the government will push it or interest, might be something more to do with PR than actually doing something time will tell. Portugal and Spain are full of sex offenders just as much but the majority have "served" sentence. But wouldnt I be right in saying that sex offenders have at least a 70%+ re-offending rate?Also the UK has a habit of trying to lead the way on things which is a pointless exercise when everyone else doesnt follow the same path.. e.g. the EU. so it might just be a new polish on an old law.