What Are Forums Good For?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was having one of those days of reflection and thinking too much and maybe too deep, which brought me to thinking and wondering what others think forums like this and others are actually good for? I always felt that forums were there to gain knowledge and to impart knowledge as sort of repayment to others for the knowledge I gained, and also just to feel good that I did something or at least tried to do something to help others. I have also found that forums are good for meeting new friends and I have met some wonderful people because of forums, and they also unfortunately seem to be for meeting some people who will not become friends for many reasons and I have met many of those type of people as well, but either way I think we learn from each and every person we meet, either in person or just from their posts or lack there of. We learn by listening to people and letting ourselves be friends with them or by listening to them and seeing in them traits that make us not wish to associate with them. We learn from everyone in life, both the good and the bad. It would be nice to hear what others think or maybe I have just had too many meds today and will only hear a deafening silence?

Edited by Mr. Lee

Warlord
Posted
Posted

Forums...Aghhh Well quick and too the point!When I first started contemplating going to the Philippines THERE WERE NO FORUMS OR MAYBE A FEW THAT WHERE UNORGANIZED..Now guys are able to obtain a wealth of information which helps put their mind at ease and also prepare they for the many unknown hurdles they may face in the journey.The forums also Do allow many to have an avenue to meet others and share knowledge and friendships. We all need friends (I have many friends at different level)Good Topic LeeToday there are many many forums...So guys today are way better off then say you or me Lee in our early days.Warlord

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

An open free exchange of information is the most useful thing a forum like this provides IMO.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I guess no one else can think of anything, and I thought of a few others I would like to share.Reading and posting on forums has sharpened my spelling skills, sharpened my pea brain but it still has a long way to go :SugarwareZ-037:gives me something else to do when we have a rainy day and we do not wish to go outhas helped me keep in contact with new friends and old friends it has helped me to learn new things and help me keep up with the times in the Philippines when we are in the states. and most of all, it helps with Karma, because I firmly believe that we get what we give in life and what goes around comes around, so helping others has helped me when I needed help, and I think people should all reach out to help others in the one way or another that is right for them. If forums are not the way, then find whatever works for you. If we all reached out to help others, wouldn't this be a much better world! :whistling:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Mik
Posted
Posted

I agree that forms provide a place to help people with questions and sympathize or provide advice to those with problems. It's fun to play Dear Abby sometimes. Forums also provide us with a community to make friends and socialize, at the least in a virtual way. We also have opportunity to get up on our soapbox and say what's on our mind, like an armchair philosopher.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

For me, forums are a great source of information from people who have the experience in whatever topic the forum is dedicated to. I gained a wealth of info here in preparation for my first trip to Cebu, everything from where to find the metered taxis at Mactan airport, to what there is to see around Cebu city. It

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for posting your views and I hope others will chime in with even more. One more thing that I have found forums good for, is for letting your hair down so to speak and just saying what is on your mind about a subject, and for saying it the way you might say it in voice. I have also found that many people have a good command of the English language in writing but not vocally, so forums give those people a place to communicate their ideas and feelings in writing. I have met many Filipinas over the years including my wife, who could write and spell excellent but were either afraid to speak in person or could not pronounce the words properly and that may also go for some speakers of other languages? So to all, relax and type as you would speak and do the best you can with your English and do not ever worry about being criticized or critiqued on this forum by anyone about your spelling or punctuation or anything to do with your use of the English language because as many of you can see, only a few people on forums use proper punctuation and spelling or even the correct words at times, and this forum has members from all over the world so relax and enjoy.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Helping my country and my people. Thank you to all of you who post information to help others to visit or live in my country. :whistling: Also thank you to those of you who care enough to ask questions and learn the correct way to do things.

Edited by Sampaguita

Mik
Posted
Posted

You don't have access to a backspace or delete key when speaking. Also, sometimes in a group of people it's hard to get a word into the conversation. It's easier to present your thoughts here.

Travis
Posted
Posted

learning who not to hang with by how they post or do not post. to me people who pick on others or do not wish to help others are not worth my time