10,000 foreigners were denied entry

DavidK
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Have heard of similar situations where it can be possible with a smile and explanation the officer may renew your stamp. Would how ever have the outward ticket just in case.

Indeed and I have done it, although more recently they appear to be more keen about this requirement (but if you have the onward ticket the conversation becomes moot anyway). However that doesn't assist one at check-in where the airline counter staff have apparently been told "No onward flight exiting the Philippines then no boarding this flight going there".

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I'm always curious about how these potential foreigners are identified. I guess there are some background checks, and immigration officers can eyeball obvious folks, but looks can be deceiving. There are so many pedophiles and abusers in the news here, in particular, the notorious Peter Scully. It's said that he'll be the first to hang if the death penalty comes back. 

There's a special place in hell for him and his Filipina girlfriend I'm sure.

After scanning your passport, the immigration officer will look at his computer screen. There is a shared international database.

My wife and I arrived at Narita Airport years ago and I looked disheveled after a long flight. Another mistake was wearing a collarless t-shirt. The immigration officer started questioning me in English until my wife realized what was happening. She took over speaking to him in perfect Japanese. I now wear a brand new collared shirt when going through any immigration and customs. 

Scully's girlfriend was recently arrested by NBI agents.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, robert k said:

I wonder how many simply didn't have an onward ticket? I've heard people say that they wouldn't get one because they were not asked for the onward ticket last time.

I bought an onward last time...Hong Kong because it was cheap. It was never checked.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

After scanning your passport, the immigration officer will look at his computer screen. There is a shared international database.

My wife and I arrived at Narita Airport years ago and I looked disheveled after a long flight. Another mistake was wearing a collarless t-shirt. The immigration officer started questioning me in English until my wife realized what was happening. She took over speaking to him in perfect Japanese. I now wear a brand new collared shirt when going through any immigration and customs. 

Scully's girlfriend was recently arrested by NBI agents.

Interesting. I did not realize people were profiled in this way. Thanks for the pro tip.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

When I arrived back in Manila from Thailand last January,I was stopped from coming  in until I showed my onward flight.You can get a flight for about 1000 pesos so anybody who takes the chance is foolish.

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, not so old china hand said:

I have always found that dressing smartly helps. In my experience people who look like business travelers get very little hassle from immigration or customs around the world. If traveling in the tropics I always wear well pressed slacks, smart shoes and, as JJ said, a collared shirt. In colder climes I add a jacket and tie as well. In many years of travel on both business and pleasure I have almost never been targeted for "random" customs checks.

It also helps one to get seat upgrades :thumbsup:

I generally travel in a jacket and collared shirt...but it's hot in the Ph, so I went there just with the shirt...

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

When I arrived back in Manila from Thailand last January,I was stopped from coming  in until I showed my onward flight.You can get a flight for about 1000 pesos so anybody who takes the chance is foolish.

1000 pesos only? What airline and destination?

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

Asia pacific Clark to Guam it was a special offer but they might still have some offers.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Reboot said:

Air Asia to Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia. Or try one of those new islands in the Spratly area but you might need a Chinese visa.

• Like 2