dental work

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

I had an implant done here in London 5 years ago, cost £2,200 (about $2,800). Could have cried at the cost but the implant is excellent, glad I had it done.

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 03/02/2017 at 10:50 AM, mogo51 said:

iI have just had a tooth removed yesterday, making a  2 tooth gap at the upper rear of my mouth, it was a molar and used for chewing.  I am going to have to make a decision to have a partial plate or implant and wonder if any members have had experience with implants there in Philippines and if so, was it satisfactory

Cost here for implant is about 50k bht (63 pesos) how does that stack up and was the implant successful???

Thank you.

Hi Ron

I had an implant done when I was in Jomtien, in your neck of the woods. As you say, it was around 50k but the surgeon came highly recimmended by several local expats and it was a good recommendation. That was three years ago and I am very happy with it. Now I am in the Philippines I went to my usual (again highly recommended) local dentist about nine months ago with a cracked molar and was fearing I needed another implant. She recommended a thing called 'bio-dentine' which is a very simple two part procedure, a few days apart, where the tooth is rebuilt using a sort of 'poly-filla' type substance. If you're not familiar with poly-filla' its a sort of plaster mix used for filling cracks in walls! I have to say it's been in place for nine months now and is doing the job admirably. It won't help in your case as it needs an existing tooth to build on, but it seems that for some dental issues it is a much cheaper and simpler option that an implant. The cost was around 5000 php. A fraction of an implant! Perhaps that's why I had never heard of it before. Certainly not from any dentists I have used previously. .

If you would like the name of the Jomtien dentist PM me.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Hi Ron

I had an implant done when I was in Jomtien, in your neck of the woods. As you say, it was around 50k but the surgeon came highly recimmended by several local expats and it was a good recommendation. That was three years ago and I am very happy with it. Now I am in the Philippines I went to my usual (again highly recommended) local dentist about nine months ago with a cracked molar and was fearing I needed another implant. She recommended a thing called 'bio-dentine' which is a very simple two part procedure, a few days apart, where the tooth is rebuilt using a sort of 'poly-filla' type substance. If you're not familiar with poly-filla' its a sort of plaster mix used for filling cracks in walls! I have to say it's been in place for nine months now and is doing the job admirably. It won't help in your case as it needs an existing tooth to build on, but it seems that for some dental issues it is a much cheaper and simpler option that an implant. The cost was around 5000 php. A fraction of an implant! Perhaps that's why I had never heard of it before. Certainly not from any dentists I have used previously. .

If you would like the name of the Jomtien dentist PM me.

Ken

Good morning Ken.

Good to hear from you.  I also go to a dentist in Jomtien, she is on the left hand side after turning right at the bottom of the hill to head towards the beach.  I can never remember her name, but she is married to an Aussie guy, it is half way down the street and now there is an Aussie Pie Shop opposite (after your time though), great pies but so expensive.  Same price as in Australia.

She is a good dentist, she tried hard to save my tooth but it turned out that one of the 3 roots had died and did not respond to any treatment.  But I have a problem with a tooth on the other side of the mouth that I think would work well for me.  Cracked tooth where a piece fell out and they did a 'dodgy brothers' repair job.

I don't know if you come back here much, but if you don't, rest assured you have missed little.  Military continue to control and strangle any thinking or comments.  They have zero economic ability and Pattaya is dying.  Empty shops everywhere.

I am so looking forward to our move to Phils in July, heading for Bauang, just next to San Fernando La Union.  Far enough away from her family but not too far for her to travel there to see them.

How are things in Cagayan De Oro for you, hope all is well?

Ron

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 2/3/2017 at 0:26 PM, snowridr said:

Where are you in the Philippines?

Not there yet Snowridr, moving there in July and was forward 'asking'  We are moving to Bauang, La Union, just out of San Fernando.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Good morning Ken.

Good to hear from you.  I also go to a dentist in Jomtien, she is on the left hand side after turning right at the bottom of the hill to head towards the beach.  I can never remember her name, but she is married to an Aussie guy, it is half way down the street and now there is an Aussie Pie Shop opposite (after your time though), great pies but so expensive.  Same price as in Australia.

She is a good dentist, she tried hard to save my tooth but it turned out that one of the 3 roots had died and did not respond to any treatment.  But I have a problem with a tooth on the other side of the mouth that I think would work well for me.  Cracked tooth where a piece fell out and they did a 'dodgy brothers' repair job.

I don't know if you come back here much, but if you don't, rest assured you have missed little.  Military continue to control and strangle any thinking or comments.  They have zero economic ability and Pattaya is dying.  Empty shops everywhere.

I am so looking forward to our move to Phils in July, heading for Bauang, just next to San Fernando La Union.  Far enough away from her family but not too far for her to travel there to see them.

How are things in Cagayan De Oro for you, hope all is well?

Ron

Hi Ron.

My dentist in Jomtien is a different one. I sent you a PM with the details, but if you like yours then I wouldn't change. 

I have to say I haven't missed Jomtien and very happy to have moved to the Philippines. Things are different here and certainly not perfect, but I think better on many levels. It does take a bit of getting used to before things settle down, but so did moving to Thailand.

Good luck with your move in July. I feel sure you won't regret it.

Ken

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Hi Ron.

My dentist in Jomtien is a different one. I sent you a PM with the details, but if you like yours then I wouldn't change. 

I have to say I haven't missed Jomtien and very happy to have moved to the Philippines. Things are different here and certainly not perfect, but I think better on many levels. It does take a bit of getting used to before things settle down, but so did moving to Thailand.

Good luck with your move in July. I feel sure you won't regret it.

Ken

I replied to PM Kev.  You are certainly correct about taking time to settle into a new country.  I was quite restless after the initial 'rush' and enthusiasm in Thailand.  I formed a one and only relationship with a Thai and learned a lesson about that very quickly.

We all know there are some 'rogue women' in Phils just like Thailand but after many visits to Phils and living with a Filipino for 5 plus years, there is no doubt in my mind, that in the main, they have a different set of values to Thai women.  They are far more genuine, either that or I won the lottery with my first ticket!  I am supported here by many members who offer the same views of life with their Filipino partners.  They have a semi western philosophy at least my lady has and I have seen it in many others.

Where there are problems, it is often a result of haste on the part of the Western partner IMO.  We can never be 'pigeon hole' in our assessment as it is more complicated that that, but overall I think I have a proper perspective on the Filipino v Thai ladies, there is no comparison IMO.  But I am settled in that area, but hopefully some newer members may get some benefit from these observations?

So I have a good foundation for a good life there, spent a lot of time over the past 4 years with 7 visits I think it is and met her children and some of her family.  But I am not a person who has strong family ties, so it will be a distant association as far as I am concerned.  But she will be able to get on a bus an go visit her parents and siblings.

We intend to do some travel within Phils and where you are is high on my list of places to visit.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

They are far more genuine

Genuine but practical.  Examples like:  Yes that dog has been the family pet for 10 years and we love him, but a guy's gotta eat.  Or Yes I love my husband and have been with him for 3 years but its over because love is useless without money.  Or Yes I am overcharging you the foreigner price for this property/furniture/whatever, but foreigners have more money than filipinos so they can afford it.  Or Yes we need a car for our growing family, but it makes more sense to leave it parked out in plain view of the neighbors and wash it every day so they see how nice it is instead of driving it around and spending money on gas.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Genuine but practical.  Examples like:  Yes that dog has been the family pet for 10 years and we love him, but a guy's gotta eat.  Or Yes I love my husband and have been with him for 3 years but its over because love is useless without money.  Or Yes I am overcharging you the foreigner price for this property/furniture/whatever, but foreigners have more money than filipinos so they can afford it.  Or Yes we need a car for our growing family, but it makes more sense to leave it parked out in plain view of the neighbors and wash it every day so they see how nice it is instead of driving it around and spending money on gas.

I doubt my SO qualifies under example 1 or 2, she has passed 5 years and has no desire to eat dog.  I have little money.  Overcharging foreigners is something experienced daily here in Thailand, just the same. She is not materialistic except when it comes to Pizza.

• Like 5