My new life starts tomorrow

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Good luck mate I hope it all goes well for you.

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Snowy. I guess your bags are unpacked now and you're just starting to settle in. You can throw away your duffle coat, gloves and scarf. I can guarantee, you won't be needing them here! I trust everything works out just as you hoped for. Good luck for the future.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
Fat fingers spelling
  • Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I'm fully settled for now in the McKinley area of Manila after a few days of experiencing fantastic internet (sarcasm). My partner had done some decent groundwork and arranged a reasonable but very small condo for 18,000 php per month about 100m from the Venice Mall. We're talking about 20ft by 10ft which includes the toilet, kitchen and bed. She's in for a shock when my boxes arrive from Scotland and I think I'll have to store them at her families house.

I used a shipping company that delivers to the door. The rough cost for about 207kg of things I'll probably never use again was £820 in real money. It's about £150 cheaper if it's delivered to the airport but I opted to keep out of sight and let the locals do all the import inspections and clearance. The rough delivery time is up to 21 days door to door.

The question reference the exit flight was more due to practical circumstances on my side. I'd been selling my house in Scotland and was awaiting the final legal papers to be signed when my boss informed me I had 6 days holiday to use before March and had better pick the days soon or the company would pick them for me. I took a gamble and booked a holiday from the 3rd of Feb to the 11th taking in weekends. No sooner had I booked the flights then I received a call from my lawyer saying my house had sold and the buyer wanted to move in on the 31st of Jan. My return flight was non transferable.

I was then asked if I was interested in climbing Mount Kinabalu in Malaysia later on in February and had to decide within a day or two as they had to book guides. I booked flights around the climb dates leaving Manila and returning within the week. I take it records of exit flights must be stored on a computer at immigration as I've never had to show an exit flight just my passport and a form stating where I'll be living. I'll aim off and book a cheap exit flight so if anyone has good suggestions please post it here. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

20x10 ft, do you go outside to change your mind????

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

20x10 ft, do you go outside to change your mind????

Sometimes just to find my mind. I must admit it's a lot smaller than I'm used to but I've slept in a hole in the ground plenty of times so it's an improvement.

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

Good luck with the move. Sincerely hope it all works out for you. 

I subscibe to Cebu Pacific's email junk. About once a week or so they send junk mail about specials/promos. Check their website as they often have very cheap fares to places like Hong Kong and Tokyo. Even their regular fares aren't bad. 

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Good luck Snowy, still climbing mountains at "79" Wow :mocking:

Seriously hope all goes well for you, take care, stay safe.

• Like 3

snowridr
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sometimes you can get decent LTE internet in Manila - but a lot of it is 3g.  I have noticed in-building signal penetration is not very good. (Most of my experiences in Manila are in BGC)

Edited by snowridr
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, snowridr said:

penetration is not very good.

I just realized what they mean by "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I was scanning the title of the thread "My new life starts tomorrow" and saw the comment above without reading the rest of the post . . . . . . . .:whistling:  good thing I took a second look and realized you were talking about Internet  :hystery: 

• Like 3