South China Sea war?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2017 at 1:36 AM, ITGeek said:

I would first point this out to the OP, I moved from California to PI's exactly one year ago this month.  Why? Because as a former intel analyst, I could forecast a lot of instability within the US during 2017.  Now it looks like that cold civil war between deep state factions may go hot.  The current climate (economic, political and social) in the US isn't one I'd want to raise a family.  Unless President Trump is able to MAGA, I won't even consider moving back to the US.

Wow, this is getting interesting.  The comments are expanding but I think it's all related to South China Sea and other hot spots.  Sometimes, all this geopolitical drama is giving me a headache.  But alas, we have an intel analyst in da house!  So......I'm gonna pick your brain, not to challenge you but to gleam some insights of analysing intel, although often times, I feel what's coming out of these heads of state are not really intelligent.....he, he.

A note to self -- be aware of OpSec (operational security) because information being shared here may still be classified.  OK, where to begin?  When was the last time you made love?  Wait a minute.....wrong topic.

What the hell is this WikiLeaks?  I'm not going to google it.  Many versions of news these days are biased or polarized to fit mainstream news, alt-right news, fake news, fake-fake news and post fact news.  So, what's your take on this? Can our adversaries use this latest leak (vault 7?) to use against us?  I understand that the Chinese, Russians, North Koreans employ a whole battalion of cyber warfare officers just to hack our system.  And guess what, they have succeeded....right?

Sometimes I think (maybe too much because I smell something burning) that these CIA-NSA methods and practices are made to leak out.  Cyber warfare is a two way street.  Deception and diversion is the name of the game.  Perhaps some of those just released apps contain a bug to deceive our Asian friends?  

You know before the first ICBM's burst over our heads, our infrastructures have already been hacked.  Can we could do the same?  Can we turn off the water and electricity so that Kim Jun Un can't take a chit anymore?  

Edited by Jake
  • Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Jake said:

Wow, this is getting interesting.  The comments are expanding but I think it's all related to South China Sea and other hot spots.  Sometimes, all this geopolitical drama is giving me a headache.  But alas, we have an intel analyst in da house!  So......I'm gonna pick your brain, not to challenge you but to gleam some insights of analysing intel, although sometimes I feel what's coming out of these heads of state are not really intelligent.....he, he.

A note to self -- be a wary of OpSec (operational security) because information being shared here may still be classified.  OK, where to begin?  When was the last time you made love?  Wait a minute.....wrong topic.

What the hell is this WikiLeaks?  I'm not going to google it.  Many versions of news these days are biased or polarized to fit mainstream news, alt-right news, fake news, fake-fake news and post fact news.  So, what's your take on this? Can our adversaries use this latest leak (vault 7?) to use against us?  I understand that the Chinese, Russians, North Koreans employ a whole battalion of cyber warfare officers just to hack our system.  And guess what, they have succeeded....right?

Sometimes I think (maybe too much because I smell something burning) that these CIA-NSA methods and practices are made to leak out.  Cyber warfare is a two way street.  Deception and diversion is the name of the game.  Perhaps some of those just released apps contain a bug to deceive our Asian friends?  

You know before the first ICBM's burst over our heads, our infrastructures have already been hacked.  Can we could do the same?  Can we turn off the water and electricity so that Kim Jun Un can't take a chit anymore?  

Just finished listening to the Clinton News Network and PMSNBC and Fair and Balanced, seem the Wiki leaks whose fonder is said to like small children has said that the CIA, FBI, NSA can not only eavesdrop on us but watch us through our cell phone computers and TVs..........just a bunch of pervs watching a bunch of pervs choking chickens..if your name is Kim it's top secret ...if it's Jerry or Jake it's to be expected  

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:hystery::1927_:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Sometimes I think (maybe too much because I smell something burning) that these CIA-NSA methods and practices are made to leak out.

Seems I watched a movie about Reagan making a lot of fake info about a very expensive Star Wars program that was designed to leak out so the USSR would go broke trying to spend enough to "catch up" to that fake technology.  If there was any truth to it I found it to be very cunning.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Seems I watched a movie about Reagan making a lot of fake info about a very expensive Star Wars program that was designed to leak out so the USSR would go broke trying to spend enough to "catch up" to that fake technology.  If there was any truth to it I found it to be very cunning.

Dave, it wasn't all fake. We should have deployed the THOR orbital weapons platform. It's elegant. I just drops 30kg crowbars, that gravity accelerates to between 4 and 7 miles per second. Tiny computer and electric motor steers it. At the time the lift cost was about $660 per kilo USD. Compared to the newest naval artillery shell that cost $800,000 per shot and risks a 4 billion dollar USD stealth destroyer which can only hit targets 80 miles away? Two or three crowbars will sink an aircraft carrier penetrating from top to bottom. 1 crowbar would take out a massively hardened ICBM silo. Unpowered, the crowbars would be virtually undetectable until they hit atmosphere. Earth atmosphere dense enough to matter is about 20 miles thick? So the enemy would have 3-5 seconds warning.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sad we have to spend posts predicting our 'Ammagedon' but such is the state of the world right now.  World War 3, it is already here, just spread out all over the world!

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

What I'm trying to get me head around is the West is just beginning the process of updating it's Trident missile system and fooling the West's politicians into spending hundreds of billions of dollars on new missiles that will only be fired in defence. They then roll out a weapon system that shoots missiles out of the sky. Not the best sales pitch if you ask me. Especially when a few of our so called enemies already have similar systems and a further 20yrs to develop even better ones before our new Trident goes live.

Personally I think what's going on at the moment is just nations trying to show who can pee higher up the wall than the competition. At the end of the day if a crazy in charge decides to deploy a few good men will step up and send him to bed without his dinner.

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Loud peace propaganda makes war seem imminent. D. H. Lawrence :smile:

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

22 hours ago, Jake said:

The security exploits of Apple products, Android, Window's, etc. are all real. I heard a report that these had been leaked to hacker circles for a while before Wiki Leaks obtained them. The big problem is that the NSA/CIA refuse to provide this information to the vendors so the vendors can fix the security vulnerabilities in their products. That makes us all more vulnerable to hackers gaining access to our private data. So the NSA/CIA would rather have the tools to hack your electronic devices than allow the vendors of those devices to fix the security bugs to protect you from hackers.

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

The security exploits of Apple products, Android, Window's, etc. are all real. I heard a report that these had been leaked to hacker circles for a while before Wiki Leaks obtained them. The big problem is that the NSA/CIA refuse to provide this information to the vendors so the vendors can fix the security vulnerabilities in their products. That makes us all more vulnerable to hackers gaining access to our private data. So the NSA/CIA would rather have the tools to hack your electronic devices than allow the vendors of those devices to fix the security bugs to protect you from hackers.

With Apple, it is quite different, the opposite, as in this San Bernadino terrorist killing of 14 people.

On February 9, 2016, the FBI announced that it was unable to unlock one of the mobile phones they had recovered because of the phone's advanced security features. The phone was an iPhone 5C owned by the county and issued to its employee, the shooter Farook.[120][121] The FBI first asked the National Security Agency to break into the phone, but the NSA was unable to do so.[122] As a result, the FBI asked Apple Inc. to create a new version of the phone's iOS operating system that could be installed and run in the phone's random access memory to disable certain security features. Apple declined due to its policy to never undermine the security features of its products. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_San_Bernardino_attack#Investigation

• Like 1