Asia's Ugly Duckling of the Year Is the Philippine Peso

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

While other Asian currencies have strengthened against the dollar this year, the peso has hit a more than 10-year low and remains locked out of the party. Some analysts say that’s because investors are spooked by simmering allegations that President Rodrigo Duterte was involved in unlawful killings and corruption in his former post, which he denies.

Duterte’s spokesman Ernesto Abella said in a text message Friday that the moves in the exchange rate have been driven by expectations the U.S. Federal Reserve will raise interest rates. The peso is down 1.3 percent this year, while the Korean won leads the pack of Asian currency gainers, rising 4.5 percent.

It could get worse for the peso before it gets better. Technical indicators suggest its decline will continue after it breached a support level of 50 versus the dollar last month. The peso touched 50.395 on Friday, its weakest since September 2006.

The peso will be 50.6 to the dollar by the end of September, according to the median estimate in Bloomberg surveys of analysts. Bank of the Philippine Islands, the country’s second-largest lender by assets, forecasts the slide to continue to 52.50 by the end of the year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-03/asia-s-ugly-duckling-of-the-year-is-the-peso-thanks-to-duterte

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Just shifting a little from the Peso, I cannot understand how Thailand manages to maintain its dollar/baht position.  The country's economy is weak, the military government has little or no economic expertise, nor strategies.

Their foreign policies and internal policies are erratic at best and foreign investment is leaving in earnest.

Oh well, in 4 months I will join the exit and go to the 'wild west' that is Philippines!

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Just shifting a little from the Peso, I cannot understand how Thailand manages to maintain its dollar/baht position.  The country's economy is weak, the military government has little or no economic expertise, nor strategies.

Their foreign policies and internal policies are erratic at best and foreign investment is leaving in earnest.

Oh well, in 4 months I will join the exit and go to the 'wild west' that is Philippines!

Mate don`t go West as the Philippines is in the East:hystery:

Sorry couldn`t resist

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

It's about the same distance either way I go!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Happyhorn52 said:

While other Asian currencies have strengthened against the dollar this year, the peso has hit a more than 10-year low

fine by me, my buying power has risen by 20% on 5 years

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, scott h said:

Yes but havn't all other currencies  fallen as well? so Status Quo (so to speak) Scratching Head.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Yes but havn't all other currencies  fallen as well?

Jack buddy, this is one time I relish in being the ugly, selfish, self centered American:SugarwareZ-005:. As long as my dollar goes further, I don't care.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

Jack buddy, this is one time I relish in being the ugly, selfish, self centered American:SugarwareZ-005:. As long as my dollar goes further, I don't care.

:hystery:

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 3/12/2017 at 7:55 AM, mogo51 said:

Just shifting a little from the Peso, I cannot understand how Thailand manages to maintain its dollar/baht position.  SNIP

More then likely the same way China does it = currency manipulation.

Good luck with the move!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Yep, me too. I get a lot more pesos to the same dollar than I got 4 years ago - and prices have stayed pretty steady here. So it has really helped me out a lot.  May not be great for their economy but it is nice on my budget. (steady prices? Actually we have had the jeepney fare lowered twice, and the cabs once. Many of the restaurants actually lowered prices too)  :tiphat:

• Like 2