Why do Fiipinos Follow Silly Rules and Ignore Good Ones?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

My SO is a Filipino senior school teacher of many years, last 8 here in Thailand.  I asked her the question regarding the points raised by Dave in an earlier post.

She confirms that she was aware of similar instances in the Education System in Phils, especially at University level.  Sad state of affairs.

I also agree with the point raised concerning lack of discipline, loss of authority by school teachers due to 'do gooders'.  I all reflects in the direction society travels.

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, scott h said:

In reference to the "obeying the rules" portion, here is my take.

I once asked my brother in law why folks drive like maniacs, u turns in the middle of a street, counter flow, parking facing traffic et et et. He told me "Its democracy in action!".

I think part of it is the complete 180 attitude change after martial law. After years of strict discipline they just let loose and there has not been the political will to stop the party and enforce the law. The old "give them an inch and they will take a mile" adage.

My wife was a teen ager during martial law and tells stories of Jaywalkers being stopped by traffic enforcers and made to sing the national anthem in the medium or sidewalk. Litterers made to go to the barangay hall and pick up trash. The list goes on and on.

Is this an over simplification? Probably, but I bet if we think about it there might be some kernel of truth in it. I bet Jake could tell some stories from the martial law days.

Scott,   Thanks so much for this post.  I think your comments could be a topic in itself.  It made a lot of since to me.  However, with most things I read and hear I need more confirmation before I start believing.  My wife was still young at the time of Marcos but the rest of her sisters and brothers are older.  I read your post last night late and since the older sister is spending the weekend I was able to talk to her about this over breakfast.  I stated by asking her what are the differences she notices between the time of martial law and now?  I was somewhat shocked she admitted now she would prefer martial law because almost everything, everywhere was much more cleaner and disciplined.  But those were not the feelings she had back at the time.  The brother was part of the Peoples Power Revolution and she further told me a few years ago he made the comment to her that he was not so sure things are better now.  The SIL agrees with you in that she feels the people with authority are afraid to enforce the rules/laws for fear of what others would think.  
Oh,  among other stories she told me,  she saw first hand not only the singing of jaywalkers, but the jailing of jaywalkers.
For me and I guess others don’t want to see things that strict, but for sure some good old self discipline by the citizens and people of authority would surely be welcomed.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:smile:Why do Fiipinos Follow Silly Rules and Ignore Good Ones?

Cos they can :huh:

Best answer.  Triple Like.  This subject will always have expats giving their heads a shake.  Logic has little use in this country.

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I feel the once the drug pushers are gone...the jaywalkers better straighten up.:bash:

• Like 4

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

Its all to do with education.     And a well educated population would not put up with the open corruption that happens in the Phills.   And a well educated country raises it IQ level.   So the Govt makes sure all its citizens can speak English, that ensures many can get jobs offshore and keep the money rolling back.   But look at how the workers are ripped off to get the offshore job. Even the laws in place do not stop the exploitation of the workers going offshore. The Phills have to raise the IQ average to be able to advance, to where they can think for themselves. 

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

My SO is a Filipino senior school teacher of many years, last 8 here in Thailand.  I asked her the question regarding the points raised by Dave in an earlier post.

She confirms that she was aware of similar instances in the Education System in Phils, especially at University level.  Sad state of affairs.

I also agree with the point raised concerning lack of discipline, loss of authority by school teachers due to 'do gooders'.  I all reflects in the direction society travels.

It was also happening in Dalaguete at university level.It is the lack of discipline from an early age which has a lot to do with how people behave here.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Kiwi-Alan said:

a well educated country raises it IQ level.

There are many who believe IQ is more genetic than environmental. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence and if such is the case then this is, IMHO, a case of the locals with a higher IQ level exploiting those with a low IQ level.

In other countries, many in authority realize that there are some of lower IQ who can never be rocket scientists, but they are still taught a profession they can live with (trash collector maybe?) and paid a living wage and taught to follow the laws.

• Like 3