General warning for the Central Visayas

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2017 at 11:32 AM, OnMyWay said:

My wife is from Inabanga.  One brother is still there and she has a lot of friends still there.  They are reporting on FB that they can hear the gunshots so I guess they were not evacuated, but they are very scared.

My wife says Abu Sayyaf has never come there before.  Apparently they came looking for a soft target.  Apparently the word was out so the locals and police may have been on the lookout.

My wife says there have only been a few NPA around Bohol over the years and there has never been any serious problems with them.    Seems that they are all over the Philippines.

My SO is also from that area - up the river and about halfway to Sagbayan. Her mom (who back in the day had close ties to the NPA), sister and many cousins still reside in the area (mostly in/around Sagbayan). Her mom has a working coconut farm on the river as well; and some of her cousins work for the PNP and NBI. 

From what I was told by her the group must have some affiliates in the area who would've sheltered and hid them - the search for said affiliates is already on. In addition, the possibility of them snatching a soft target for ransom was likely, but was what was also more likely was an attack on (or bombing of) a Christian hard target such as one of the historic churches. Lets not forget that this is holy week and ppl will be flocking to church; especially on Easter Sunday. I'd hate to see an attack occur on any of them, but especially on the one they're trying to rebuild in Lobac (was just there and up to see the family last month).

Edited by Gator
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

From what I've been able to find out (retired PNP on recall), there were 10 Abu Sayaf total, 6 killed, 4 ran off, and of the 4, 3 were rookies or 'invitees" who probably will stay clear of the group from now on...  "Think of kids in the military who cry through their first firefight and want to go home" is how he put it...  

As for NPA?  Most of them (at least the ones I've met) are fighting to recover what previous government and certain groups have taken from them and their families...  And they will admit that, yes, there are radicals in some parts of the country but, if the peace talks continue, they will either have to fall in line or disappear permanently...  

My Muslim friends I've talked to locally all say the same thing...  Peace for all...  If anyone in the Muslim community wants to break the peace..?  They are going to help President Duterte and the military to remove them...  

Gawd but I hope they are all correct in their assumptions..!

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I m bob, did you read/hear that 40 or so abu landed on Negros south of Duma and are in hiding/waiting?

• Like 3

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I m bob, did you read/hear that 40 or so abu landed on Negros south of Duma and are in hiding/waiting?

Where did you get your information from? 

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

Where did you get your information from? 

One of Fe's friends from Duma told Fe it was in the news there. Of course they also said 50 landed in Bohol, you're on the ground there is there any special precautions being taken for Easter?  Fe is saying we shouldn't go this year, I'm thinking abu botched it and all should be well.   

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

One of Fe's friends from Duma told Fe it was in the news there. Of course they also said 50 landed in Bohol, you're on the ground there is there any special precautions being taken for Easter?  Fe is saying we shouldn't go this year, I'm thinking abu botched it and all should be well.   

There is no official news that say they are here in Dumaguete, although the PNP and Military are on alert, but they do that anytime a major holiday comes around. http://www.sunstar.com.ph/dumaguete/local-news/2017/04/11/pnp-afp-step-measures-while-full-alert-semana-santa-536140 But Bohol is a whole different story http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/04/13/17/bohol-villagers-evacuated-anew-amid-abu-sayyaf-threat

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Ram1957 said:

There is no official news that say they are here in Dumaguete

It seems to me that the official news reports events like that "after" something bad has happened.  If the Military are more than mildly bothered then I will be a little extra careful.  Stay safe, forum mates!

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I have seen or heard no such news.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

you're on the ground there is there any special precautions being taken for Easter?

Yes, easter eggs are kept under lock and key :smile:

• Like 4