Philippines Expats returning to home country what changed?

Gator
Posted
Posted

Not fully there yet - only a month or 3 about 2-3 times a year, but when I return to the USA I seem to notice how fat all the ppl are.

In addition, higher prices and smaller packages.

• Like 5

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Finishing up career in Okinawa, JP and asawa and I will then move back to PI around Sept '17, but we go back and forth to PI a lot now as I have since 2007, then we married in 2010 week before I headed to A'stan (just in case the worst happened and she'd be taken care of vice waiting any longer).   Anyway, I see growth changes every time I go back to PI and as friend told me who moved into an Ayala development in Sta Rosa area in 2008, it's now just like Manila and over grown without supporting infrastructure.  Since I worked at Subic at the base "back when" '89-'92, changes there are immense since then, some not for better.  Sure more to maybe do and such on the "base", but it's much more run down since then and lots of heap piles and dirtier, etc.  It was a mini paradise I think back in the day.   As for going back to Seattle, which I do a few times per yr to see older daughter and son mostly, the Amazon and tech growth there has fueled massive growth, But I'm getting priced out of the market there for owning a house there anymore and the price growth there just fuels more price growth further out as more and more people seek the "dream" and are willing to start doing hellish commutes like they do in SoCal.  Sure, lots of far cheaper places to live in US, like NC where I grew up, but PacNW beauty and fun is beyond comparison.  So, with more diving in future, looking forward to picking a spot in PI to hang my retirement hat and be able live well on what I have and will bring in $ wise in retirement.....Other than getting older at 58, September cannot come soon enough! 

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, SNAFU said:

The incredible suburban sprawl and new/expanded/improved infrastructure, but much of it is now tolled. Retail growth and new car mega-dealerships. Major intersections in most suburban cities are mirror images of those in other surrounding cities - same big boxes, same grocery and pharmacy chains, same banks, same fast-food/restaurant chains, etc. Ha, so similar it becomes somewhat disorienting just driving around the area. More new, sterile, cookie-cutter subdivisions, but rarely any kids outside playing and basically "just being kids" as I remember. SUVs, new Mustangs and Camaros out the ying-yang, and a ton or Harleys, too. The convenience of literally anything and everything is nice, but it doesn't take me long to think of that Southwest Airlines jingle, "Gotta get away"? IDK, I guess it's all good, but just not my cup of tea after being spoiled by a simpler life in the PI.

You have said what many are after in the last few words , A SIMPLER LIFE , is this what we are all after.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, SNAFU said:

Retail growth and new car mega-dealerships. Major intersections in most suburban cities are mirror images of those in other surrounding cities - same big boxes, same grocery and pharmacy chains, same banks, same fast-food/restaurant chains, etc. Ha, so similar it becomes somewhat disorienting just driving around the area. More new, sterile, cookie-cutter subdivisions, but rarely any kids outside playing and basically "just being kids" as I remember.

Is this USA or Philippines that you are referring to? Same-same.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

Good topic and replies, many things change in Australia, the cost of living keeps rising, the cities grow, you notice these things when one is in and out of the country for months at a time, away for years. Our retirement,,,,,,,,,my, lol. Our retirement choice is the Philippines and it is absolutely no different. Property prices in all countries rise, cost of living rises etc.

Living in Manila several years ago was an absolute bit@h, filthy and smog ridden, black soot on everything, it won't change and will only get worse. Every 6 months we go back it seems worse, rush rush, pollution and die hard opportunists, same as Australian cities, world wide cities from experience. Development and infrastructure over the last 30 odd years in Oz is amazing, go to Melbourne, an out there cosmopolitan city that rivals the best in the world, I grew up there, was an absolute bore as a kid 40 odd years ago apart from Moomba back then, which was the highlight of our (us kids) lives annually. It pales into significance these days. Melbourne must be one of the most entertaining and cosmopolitan cities in the world these days, a city I grew up in that was lame and very normal is now too fast, too expensive and not far enough away from the Philippines. As a soon to be permanent resident of the Philippines I also see similar changes there, prices for property continue to rise, commodities escalate. Family are here in the Philippines though and there is the trade off, financially better off too.

Let's talk about this in 5 or 10 years, Melbourne might be a hole in the ground. As another member said very wisely, "A SIMPLER Life". Gear yourself up for your life and not what we see changing in the world and where we came from. Change is inevitable and a simple plebeian such as myself won't change a thing in the grand scheme.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Is this USA or Philippines that you are referring to? Same-same.

Same same but different.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Finishing up career in Okinawa, JP and asawa and I will then move back to PI around Sept '17, but we go back and forth to PI a lot now as I have since 2007, then we married in 2010 week before I headed to A'stan (just in case the worst happened and she'd be taken care of vice waiting any longer).  

Other than getting older at 58, September cannot come soon enough! 

Welcome aboard NickleBack!  I suspect that you are approaching a 30 year career in the military or as a civilian contractor.  What a great write up on your observation of both worlds.  

Respectfully Jake, USN E-9 retired

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

As another member said very wisely, "A SIMPLER Life".

After years of reading about the problems that expats here are having with LTO, immigration, buying a car, house construction, neighbours, relatives, dogs, roosters, airports, hospitals, ATMs, traffic, crime, breathing bad air, buying a restaurant, finding a school, finding good food, buying quality goods, opening a bank account, TV, internet, etc, I do not see life here as simpler.

• Like 5

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Welcome aboard NickleBack!  I suspect that you are approaching a 30 year career in the military or as a civilian contractor.  What a great write up on your observation of both worlds.  

Yep, something along those lines...did near 5 yrs in USMC back in 80's, joys of Beirut and that mess, and realized it's a lot more fun and freedom doing something similar on the Fed side working for one of the alphabet soup agencies.  Should've pulled plug last yr, but my asawa and I also wanted to do Oki together married, as where we met in '07; so, here we are.  So when all said and done will have about 35 total yrs and nice retirement.  My Ex, a US raised Filipina, got the house in WA and most of the TSP, but we'll be fine with what's left and the pension piece, as sure you already know and experience.  Anyway, heading to Palawan next week for vacation, then back here to start the countdown.  We look forward to meeting you when we move down in the Fall! From a former Marine to the Master Chief, Semper Fi !

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jake said:

And I forgot to say Jake....I'm James. 

• Like 2