Jury Duty Notice in The States

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, russellmania said:

Folks always trying to get out of jury duty, so you dont think they will ask for any kind of proof?

The main problem I see, is that people live full time in the Pi and hold an address in their own country. It is no wonder that we are served notice whatever country we are in. Our own country THINKS we are at home :whistling:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

After we became residents of South Dakota, my wife and I signed a "Nomad Certificate" that we would be mostly out-of-state. The state, and I assume the federal government, won't have to spend money sending us jury notice. The only requirement for us is to return once every five years for renewal of our driver's license.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

The main problem I see, is that people live full time in the Pi and hold an address in their own country. It is no wonder that we are served notice whatever country we are in. Our own country THINKS we are at home :whistling:

Jack, you are correct on that.  Haha, as soon as I hit post, my phone rang and was an old co-worker who said I was wanted by the court to testify in an old case.  The judge was advised after retirement I moved to the Philippines.  My co-worker volunteered to come to the Philippines and serve me.  On the courts expense of course.  Seems I was not need that bad after all!:hystery:  Living far away does have benefits sometimes.

3 hours ago, russellmania said:

Folks always trying to get out of jury duty, so you dont think they will ask for any kind of proof? Or they will trust people not to lie about not being available to serve?

russellmanila,  Here is the process of how the system worked in my area;  The court clerks office would mail by post the jury questioner which was required to be filled out and returned to the clerks office within 90 days.  On this form you could request to be excused for various reasons.  It was not a guarantee that you would be excused.  Now if you failed to return the form because, say you did not receive it, or even forgot.  The next step was a form letter signed by a judge requiring you to report to the clerks office within two weeks.  These letters are given to the Sheriff’s deputy to be served.  Now my experience was that we would attempt this letters at the given address and if served the person would usually follow through.  IF we found there was a new resident or someone told me the person moved, was in college, military, or out of country, I would not that on the letter and return to the clerk and that was the end. I required no other proof than what the person told me. The only time a warrant or body attachment was issued by a judge was when the person was physically served by the deputy and then still failed to appear or follow through.

hope this helps, danny

Edited by intrepid
additional info

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, intrepid said:

Jack, you are correct on that.

Cheers matey :hystery: nice to be right once in awhile EH? :smile:

Jack:huh:

Morning Al l:cornflakes: :photo-109:

• Like 1