Living the dream, paying for that dream

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

While money cannot buy happiness it can buy amusement, that makes me happy.  Of course I'm easily amused. It can not buy health but a good diet a safe auto and a .45 to back up your bodyguard and pay for the doctor helps.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

While money cannot buy happiness it can buy amusement, that makes me happy.  Of course I'm easily amused.

This has me thinking that we are hardwired to feel amused in response to certain stimulae:

Responsible for this are biochemical processes and the release of so-called happiness hormones. The most popular ones are endorphins, dopamine and serotonin.

Let me elaborate in the context of buying amusement:

I can play a game for free online.  The makers of the game realize they can encourage me to "win" more if I buy certain potions or gimmicks.  So theoretically, money can buy me "more happiness".  But that is not the case.  What actually happens is that I am no longer as happy playing the free game as I wan the fix of the "pay-to-play" game.  And it does not stop there.  Some people find that the more they spend the more "happiness hormone" is released and it is addictive.  For some gamers it is VERY addictive.  Many would be surprised at the huge numbers of US$ some gamers pay to on-line games just to keep that rush or "winning" coming.

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This has me thinking that we are hardwired to feel amused in response to certain stimulae:

I can play a game for free online.  The makers of the game realize they can encourage me to "win" more if I buy certain potions or gimmicks.  So theoretically, money can buy me "more happiness".  But that is not the case.  What actually happens is that I am no longer as happy playing the free game as I wan the fix of the "pay-to-play" game.  And it does not stop there.  Some people find that the more they spend the more "happiness hormone" is released and it is addictive.  For some gamers it is VERY addictive.  Many would be surprised at the huge numbers of US$ some gamers pay to on-line games just to keep that rush or "winning" coming.

Great, but many who play for the winning 'RUSH' get their jollies from losing.  I can still release my dopamines and endorphins  by releasing other hormones and bodily fluids......@ least for a bit more I think,

:nudie:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

I can still release my dopamines and endorphins  by releasing other hormones and bodily fluids......@ least for a bit more I think

:7500: Best post ever :nudie:

Now I'm trying to decide if money buys that happiness of if that happiness is free and we just give money because we are so happy. :SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 3

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Money Bought "Happiness" why so many Divorces/ Splits

as lots of nice low lying fruits to be tasted??............................

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

if Money Bought "Happiness" why so many Divorces/ Splits call them what you want

Jack.:89:

Morning All:morning1:

Thats why i was so skint "TWICE" those few years ago.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am happy sitting watching the world go by, as long as i have a view,

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

They say love is blind Dave, and it is!

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted
On 30/05/2017 at 10:15 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Of course we realize Connolly is a comedian and I get your point.  But it seems to me that a rich, depressed person jumping off a bridge will make the same size splash as a poor, depressed person jumping off that same bridge.

Being rich and jumping off a bridge; either mentally ill or totally lacks imagination.

As far as the topic goes... paying for the dream; Does money buy happiness? 70% of me says yes. 30% says love etc. does. And in my mind, that's a healthy mix/ratio. Human nature, being what it is and all - men and women view love a wee bit differently. For women, love = security, etc.  As far as the money running out.....well use it in moderation,  us guys, over time, we learn to say "no" once in a while. Or in some cases often.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2017 at 6:00 AM, AlwaysRt said:

The other option is a 5 year stay so she can get US citizenship which brings blue passport privileges, easier access to spousal benefits including survivor benefits, etc.

For a spouse you only need to wait 3 years to apply for US citizenship. The spousal benefits are still 5 years.