pensions uk

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2017 at 0:23 PM, Snowy79 said:

As a UK pensioner :whistling: I'm well p@@@ed off with how our Government has screwed our pensions. Various governments have seriously eroded our pensions to such a stage that it wouldn't pay to invest in a pension these days. Rather than invest our National Insurance payments into a ring fenced fund they've gambled it away and spent it buying votes to such an extent that there's not enough money in the kitty to cover current pensions.

I'm one of the lucky ones that has paid 37 years of National Insurance towards my pension and still won't qualify for a full state pension when I reach retirement age. For those outside of the UK we used to have two pension rates depending on how much National Insurance you've paid. Basically if you were fortunate enough or hard working you paid enough in to get the higher pension. If you sat on your butt or were laid off a few times chances are you wouldn't pay enough in to get the full pension. The government did away with this and introduced a single pension saving the country billions and obviously meaning those that paid more into their kitty getting less and those that would have had less getting slightly more.

They increased the National Insurance payments from 30 years up to 35 years to qualify for the higher rate, again shafting most people. As this wasn't enough they increased the pension age up to 67 years for males from 65 and for women up to 65 from 60. New rules are going to bring them both up to 68 by 2039.

As they hadn't shafted me enough I've found out that the government passed a law a couple of years ago stating that anyone getting an Armed Forces or civil service pension had opted out of the State Earnings Related Pension Scheme, and as such will have to pay over 40 years of National Insurance to qualify for a full pension, then just to rub salt in the wound they changed our annual pension increases from the retail price index (rpi) to the consumer price index (cpi). This can mean some years there's no pension increase as the cpi is historically lower than the rpi.

If I was the youth of today I'd be looking at investing my money somewhere the government can't touch it then get the f@@' out of the country as you can bet anything you have of worth will mean you no longer even get a pension as it'll be means tested.

yes snowy your right of course ,the UK gov for years and that includes all of the political partys have been dipping into the N.I. contributions pot for years ,now the pot is empty they are screwing over the people who have worked all their lives ,and as for the long term bone idle ,they will get a larger pension than the like of me.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

yes snowy your right of course ,the UK gov for years and that includes all of the political partys have been dipping into the N.I. contributions pot for years ,now the pot is empty they are screwing over the people who have worked all their lives ,and as for the long term bone idle ,they will get a larger pension than the like of me.

I have a brother in law in the UK.His mother  collected a pension the same time as my mother.My mother was getting no extra help from the GOV and my father worked all his life.

My BIL mother whose husband never worked for 20 years was getting everything for free,rent dental etc.The system in the UK does not reward the people who pay in,it is always hitting them in the pocket.

It is all political parties who do this and not just one individual group.

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

A former school friend of mine ,who has lead a life of petty crime ,i dont think he has ever had a tax paying job ,recently posted on facebook ,that he was disgusted with the 1.5 billion sweetener paid to the North of Ireland ,when he felt it should have been used to increase his disability allowance , some people just do not get it , the whole set up is morally wrong ,but these job dodgers all have a vote

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I too have family members who have done very little work in there lives and i have others who have worked hard for there families and are still doing so, i must say i love them all the same though, even though i know its all wrong.

I just work for myself and what i am wanting to try to achieve, yes if you want to sit on your backside getting the handouts all your life thats fine for some and in the end you will get the same pension as those who have worked all they life too.

Its all about morels , some have them and live by them others dont give a dam, hey ho life goes on.

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

and this system is how those votes are bought and paid for

Imagine if the job dodgers weren't so lazy they can't even be bothered to show up for one day of "work" and vote every few years?:hystery:

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, robert k said:

Imagine if the job dodgers weren't so lazy they can't even be bothered to show up for one day of "work" and vote every few years?:hystery:

I imagine they would be up shits creek without a paddle and the deficit would have a chance to turn around. I also imagine that will stay imaginary, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

getting the handouts all your life

Hmmm, as a dual citizen I wonder if I could live in Britain for 6 months then Canada 6 months and get handouts from each country?

Nah ..  then I'd have not time to live in Philippines :56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Hmmm, as a dual citizen I wonder if I could live in Britain for 6 months then Canada 6 months and get handouts from each country?

No time to pass on the handouts.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Never happen, you have to be born into this life and then follow your elders into how to claim for this and for that, those of us who have worked  but somehow have lost your job and have to claim some cash for a month or so, you are treated like a criminal a lowlife and having done this just the once and it was sh-t , you just make sure you never ever need this so called help that you have paid into all your working life.

Edited by stevewool
sphelling again
  • Like 4