President Duterte calls US to return Balangiga bells

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

it took us almost 900 years to have the "Stone of Destiny" returned back to Scotland ,the stone of scone as it is also known was the object where the Kings of Scotland were crowned ,Edward the 1st ,may he rot in eternal hell , stole it from Scotland , we dont hold a grudge by the way :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Another reason why the USA should keep the bells, is the same reason when folks ask me why I eat sushi with my fingers and not use the chop sticks. I grin, wipe my fingers off on a napkins and say.

"Because we won the war!" :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
On 07/28/2017 at 6:20 AM, CoffeeRulzMe said:

as soon as the Brits pay retribution for burning down the US Capitol during the War of 1812.  Better yet, I'll take the payment, and forwarded it to the Gov.  Cash only please with interest.

Ah yes... But  that was in response to the US forces burning the Parliament Building; and (shock horror) a library; in Upper Canada following the Battle of York. So I think we should let bygones be bygones.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 7/28/2017 at 10:34 AM, robert k said:

How long before London is under sharia law? I think that will happen before the whitehouse burns again.

To be honest, if the Canadians burned DC down again, they'd be doing the American people a solid favor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

To be honest, if the Canadians burned DC down again, they'd be doing the American people a solid favor.

Actually I think Will Rogers said it best. What is the opposite of progress?

Congress.

The buildings are not the problem, it's many of the people in them.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

So I think we should let bygones be bygones.

I googled war trophies when this started. It seems the trend of the last 50 years or so is for "historical societies" to approach the capturing country and purchase the trophies from the folks who have them. Saw lots of references to our Revolutionary war and the war of 1812 and so on. This civilized approach is probably the best bet, I cant speak for all but us Yanks usually don't respond well to demands, threats and bluster. Just a thought

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2017 at 7:20 PM, robert k said:

The US didn't "buy" the Philippines, unless it was with blood.

That was my understanding.  

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Some thought provoking discussion here, very interesting.  Most, if not all countries of the world have been 'conquered' at some time during their history. Unless of course you are Thai who have memories of convenience.  They  ignore two ass kickings by Cambodia and a 'hands up' to the Japanese during WW2.

That aside, the Australian Aboriginals have whinged for decades about loss of their land and eventually some out there Judge handed down the 'Mabo' decision and it started a rot of ongoing land claims by them.  Still happening on a regular basis.  Now when Captain Cook entered Sydney Harbour, not a shot was fired, they just took flight.  There were some conflicts between black/white over the years but nothing of any great moment.

In other words, they threw their hands up and never tried to defend their land.  The white settlers made it what it is today (for better or worse arguably).  What claims did they really have?  They came from Indonesia millions of years before, so who did they take it from????

I have never quite understood the 'restitutions' claimed by US after WW2.  US did not enter the conflict until Pearl Harbour and continued trading with Nazi Regime until then.  UK was an ally and was getting the crap bombed out of them.  From the day the war started, Australia as a former British Colony, sent many thousands of troops to Europe, UK and Asia, lots of them were killed.  We never asked for any payments.

My  point is that if you are an ally, then  you join with your allies for the benefit of all?  I don't know the history of the bells and why they ended up in  the US.  If they belong to the Philippines, why not hand them back?  Is there any significant claim by  the US of rights to them?  It might be a gesture that could repair the strained relations (to a degree) of late.  Perhaps you are right,  DU30 might have his tits in a tangle with the US, but if he thinks China is the answer, he will learn the hard way.  They will not stop until the last drop of blood is extracted.IMO

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I never heard of the bells before so I really don't care about them, but to me this seems like just another excuse for duterte's anti-American rhetoric.  Which makes me less inclined to give a crap about what he pretends to feel about it.

After the Spanish-American war we were ceded Guam, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the PIs.  We also used that as an excuse to annex Hawaii.  Life is tough all over... but that is the way of the world. I am only 2nd generation American - so not my fault, not my problem.  If he wants to act like an ally, maybe we would be more inclined to return them.

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Meanwhile, the Philippines' new best friend continues to steal territory. But at least they've left all of the bells alone. :mellow:

Photos prove Cayetano, Wang wrong on China reclamation

CSIS releases photos that show China didn't stop its reclamation activities in 2015, as claimed by Philippine Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi

Story on Rappler.com

• Like 1