Finding a Sense of Purpose in the Philippines

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That's the bonus but 'peso'nality has always been the number one purpose.  The first truism I learned about filipinas is:  I love you/him/them but love is useless without money.

My point exactly. :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31: More or less.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Finding a Sense of Purpose in the Philippines:

Easy!  A foreigner's purpose in the Philippines is to be a source of pesos to the local economy.  Other than that we would not be welcome here.

I think a lot of expats sometimes feel like a walking ATM.My purpose in life is to be happy.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bows00 said:

With retirement coming at the end of this year, I find myself thinking of how I will be spending my time in the Philippines.  

i will be 56, single, financially independent, and commuting from Hawaii to various locations until I find my ideal place to set down my roots.  

I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to find myself - to have a clean slate in life to discover who I really am.  I will spend a year looking within, and in my past... evaluating my strengths, and facing what I dislike and love to do.  Stephen Covey said it best - "You DETECT, rather than INVENT your purpose in life".  

Growing old does have it's benefits when done right and money is no longer a concern.  I will try to make the most of my new freedom in the Philippines...

The problem you and i have and the others who may be following is, our sense of purpose as been set out out for many years as the same, work , work and more work and a little time to ourselves.

Now its time to turn it all around, but where do we start, how do we start, its a little frightening if that is the word, just my own thoughts

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bigpearl said:

Another great topic, don't we love this site, so much input from different walks of life and personalities, both negative and positive, keep it coming and share your thoughts and experiences. For me a 58 y/o dude that lives a comfortable lifestyle in Oz and could continue to do so if I worked for another 10 years,,,,,,,,,, after that? My lifestyle in Oz could go backwards, 10 more years of throwing spare dollars into superannuation so I can retire at a comfortable level within my home country, my home (pension robbing beaurocrats) country take and take more. A Filipino partner changed that, better family ties, interesting situations and a love of the dynamics made me realise that firstly we can afford to be with caring family, a happier partner/relationship being close to family unlike mine, secondly I can maintain an equivalent or better lifestyle and retire/pursue other interests many years before I would retire in Oz, aim is 60 not 67 or 68.

My/our purpose retiring/living in Ph is firstly for me to retire and pursue a relaxed existence without financial dilemmas, better half and I will work and create at a very different level of income/investments and sending the donkey out to work,,,,,,,, as he should, joking. I can retire 7 years earlier, in a country and with people I can relate to and deal with easily, respect etc. Travel, buy what you want or need, eat prawns daily or street food, love it.

In a nutshell I can retire 7 or 8 years earlier, have a comparable lifestyle but likely better, travel to countries on our bucket list, exist well and enjoy many of the simpler things in life that I have over looked for too many years, put my feet up as desired at my leisure, be a lazy sod in control with time to smell the roses and build a great life in the Philippines, family, friends, travel, meeting people but at the end of the day a home to live and share with those you love and ultimately feel comfortable/secure and live your life as you wish. Do what you want when you want to suit your life requirements, be mindful of your surroundings, politically, economically and local social norms, easy peasy really.

Cheers Steve.

What you are saying is just what I am thinking too.

It's easy reading what others are trying to achieve then myself putting it all in action.

17 months time I shall be that number 60 and then I shall be free, if not before.

• Like 1