Filipino family members happily living with Expats?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Old55 said:

Any one who ignored the 3 island 🌴 rule and have extended family living with you care to share? 📬

Can someone explain this to me please.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have the opportunity to live in the Philippines with Emma's  father and her brother , its a long story so here is the short version.

The family house was to e rebuilt by the 3 sisters but they could not/would not contribute , we took over and they agreed its mine and Emma's home now and the whole top floor is our base, "yer right".

So is there any members who lives with there inlaws or other family members.

Castaway
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

So is there any members who lives with there inlaws or other family members.

I'm one of those members. :mellow:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Castaway said:

I'm one of those members. :mellow:

Straight from the horses mouth, whats it like, warts and all.:smile::smile:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

I heard it as a 2 island rule... but 3 sounds good too. 

It is said that you should not be closer than 2 (or 3) islands from her family.   Kind of like family is good in small doses... but you don't want to live with them.  You don't want them just dropping over all the time, eating your food, borrowing money, lots of drama etc.  I think that would depend very much on her family and if you allow them to use you as an ATM - I do not! 

• Thanks 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Straight from the horses mouth, whats it like, warts and all.:smile::smile:

Sometimes, it's just like being the proverbial fly on the wall that people often wish that they could sometimes be (to overhear a conversation)... but just like the proverbial fly on the wall, you will not understand the human language... since Filipinos speak in their local languages (instead of English) when speaking to family members in the Philippines.

Plus, among other things, give up any hope of ever saving any money, since the extended family (that lives with you) is always in need of financial help.  If you complain about this to your Filipina, be prepared to having her not speak to you for an extended period of time... and the only English that you may be hearing for a long while are the announcers on BBC and Channel NewsAsia. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

We thought you knew after all you and Emma live on an island! :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Old55 said:

We thought you knew after all you and Emma live on an island! :hystery:

A island that is so far away from any visitors but not that far away they can influence by that facebook message :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Castaway said:

Sometimes, it's just like being the proverbial fly on the wall that people often wish that they could sometimes be (to overhear a conversation)... but just like the proverbial fly on the wall, you will not understand the human language... since Filipinos speak in their local languages (instead of English) when speaking to family members in the Philippines.

Plus, among other things, give up any hope of ever saving any money, since the extended family (that lives with you) is always in need of financial help.  If you complain about this to your Filipina, be prepared to having her not speak to you for an extended period of time... and the only English that you may be hearing for a long while are the announcers on BBC and Channel NewsAsia. :smile:

Surely it cannot be that bad, i have been staying over and the extended family come over and they do speak there language and yes i did feel like piggy in the middle too, but after i have tried to listen, i do say " remember i am here", then they will explain what they was talking about after the fact, but if Emma was in the room she would explain it there and then.

Its funny that many parents spend lost of cash sending the kids to school to learn English but they still feel embarrassed saying it.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't want to live with my own family, far less somebody else's!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2