Would You Do It Again?

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Alhough this was aimed at those that live there, I can jump in anyway I guess. I had planned on moving there when I retired this year. After reading this and other forums on the PI, I then decided to just take a 6 month trip to check things out. But again while waiting to make the trip, the less and less I looked forward to it. I came to the conclusion that things were just too different from when I lived there. As many say, "you can never go back", thing change too much and too quickly. I knew the PI in the 60's, 70's and 80's even the early 90's. I didn't like the changes that had happened in the 80's and 90's very much, but did adapt to them. Being older now, having sufficient income to live comfortable here for now, I don't see any real benefit to moving back there. Plus, the wife does not want to live there either.So with the surgery I just had and the being it by a car last month, this cancelled the trip for me. I doubt if I will even plan another...Just doesn't seem there is much reason to subject myself to everything negative against Americans I keep reading about.
Twostrokes, sorry to hear about your accident and hope you recover quickly. I guess you are sort of in the same place that I am in, but with a wife who does not really wish to go back, and first you would have to know why that is before even considering a return or even a visit. As I said in my last post, the Philippines sure is not for everyone and it is probably not for those of us who are still lucky enough to be able to afford to live in a first world country, but that may change with all the things that seem to be coming down the line, so it might be a good idea to position yourself, so that you would have a place to go if what I suspect is coming really shows its ugly head, and that is what I am basically doing and have been doing for the last number of year, keeping my options open. The US and most of the world seems to be heading toward chaos and pension systems are falling apart and may go broke in the future if things do not turn around, and then there is the issue of whether the dollar will be worth the paper it is printed on in the coming years, so while I can see your point, I think you should at least visit and see if you could live there again or if things are what you remember them to be. After all, not knowing is worse than being sure, IMHO.Added as an after thought for the younger single guys, go for it and enjoy yourself.
If the US tanks, as you feel it probably will (and I agree with you), then all will depend on the dollar... All of my pensions are from either the US gov't or the state of Texas gov't. I don't think either will stop paying, but as you say , it may just be worthless paper. That will create a problem...But, if things just get to a point that big brother interferes too much, or anarchy rules, then I will jump to the PI in a minute. Although right now I have become very disappointed in all that i am reading here and other forums, that doesn't mean that i can't adjust and probably quickly. I felt the same way in 87 when I returned after being gone from 1975. It was a stretch and a lot of things had changed. So it will always be a #2 place to live. AFterall there are a lot of places here in the US that I don't care for either and wouldn't live again.The wife doesn't want to move back because of her family. They would suck us dry or make her life so full of guilt that she would not be happy. She seems to be able to say NO on the phone very easy..... but not so easy in person.....she would rather just not deal with it.I may feel differently next year, and may again decide to make the trip for a few months. Hopefully I will be in better health...This has not been a very good year from that respect. Hopefully I will be back on my feet(both of them) in another few weeks. I got more bad news today, as it turn out he doesn't have insurance. The policy number he gave me is on his truck. He was driving his car and the insurnace company denies he had coverage on the car. So I probably won't even get much money out of this unless I goafter my own insurance company for uninsured motorist. I can do that, but they willl find a way to increase my rates to get it back in a couple years. Seems a lose, lose situation. Of course if I had been in the Pi when it happened, I wouldn't have to worry about anyone paying anything....

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)
I would like to know if the members who moved from their countries and now live in the Philippines full time, if you had a choice would you move there again?I would also like to know how members feel who travel between countries and the Philippines, what do you think are the benefits and or the negatives of that life?Thank you very much!{maraming salamat po} tagalog{daghang salamat} Cebuano
I've traveled a lot and lived within many different cultures and lived away from my own home country for 14 years....... perhaps that's why I have to say that I wouldn't do it again, I don't know if its a result of living in the Philippines or just all the years away from my home country, the fact that illness has now struck my family in the UK, or this feeling of not belonging to one place or another, perhaps at worst I'm burnt out,, at best frazzled round the edges either way not happy and feel a little more desperate each passing day. in fourteen years I have been back to the UK three times, in total 90 days, perhaps I just need some R&R. the cracks are now starting to show. Edited by johnb

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The wife doesn't want to move back because of her family. They would suck us dry or make her life so full of guilt that she would not be happy. She seems to be able to say NO on the phone very easy..... but not so easy in person.....she would rather just not deal with it.
Let me address this issue. My wife and I felt the very same way about her family and that was one main reason for the move to Cebu because it was far enough away from most of her family and two hours from two sisters and their families. The whole time we have been in Cebu only one nephew and one niece have asked to visit us and while others have asked for money, so far we have found it no worse than when we are in the states, and I had been sure to stress to them that I am retired now and that the gravy train has stopped running. I also ask for doctors and hospital names and phone numbers and verify emergencies and that has stopped all the fake claims. I find it very hard to not give for real issues but I also told my wife to tell her family to think about what they would do if I was not alive or never married her. So while family issues can be a problem, I think you should at least try what we do, but rent and see how that works out for you and if it does not, then back you can go.
I've traveled a lot and lived within many different cultures and lived away from my own home country for 14 years....... perhaps that's why I have to say that I wouldn't do it again, I don't know if its a result of living in the Philippines or just all the years away from my home country, the fact that illness has now struck my family in the UK, or this feeling of not belonging to one place or another, perhaps at worst I'm burnt out,, at best frazzled round the edges either way not happy and feel a little more desperate each passing day. in fourteen years I have been back to the UK three times, in total 90 days, perhaps I just need some R&R. the cracks are now starting to show.
Sorry to hear about the illness in your family and I hope they get better. Being away from family and friends has always be a thought in my mind that seems to be holding us from a total move but I am still preparing for a future move and taking everything one day at a time while setting us up in case the US collapses. For years I have seen that having all my retirement in dollars was a bad idea and thus the condos and bank accounts in the Philippines and having some money in pesos. I have taken money from my home in the states and borrowed from my retirement to do that and while I have no idea if I have done the correct thing, only time will tell. I think the real hard part is that the Philippine govt and the people will never really allow us to be Filipinos and part of the system and that makes us somehow feel disconnected when we are living there. Maybe with time, a new govt and more expats, all that might change. We can hope anyway.John, I think you do need a break, so maybe consider that and then rethink things. I also know that we both now have ties in Cebu, so sometimes we have to make the best of our decisions and pray for the best. Hang in there pal and maybe some Grandees when we get there will help. SugarwareZ-004.gif Anyway, I am looking forward to those. :541: :1 (103):
  • Like 1

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your posts, please continue to post your ideas and feelings on these issues.

Travis
Posted
Posted

so far I would but I have not had the problems others seem to have & I am single at least for now