climbing frames and slides etc...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, DirkSquirrel said:

are crash helmets included or sold separately?

5 hours ago, DirkSquirrel said:

obviously you've never been on a bouncy castle. kids get brain damage from bumping heads

Good point about helmets.  When my first daughter was learning to walk I tried to find those soft helmets here in the Philippines but they were not available.  Now I see they have them on Lazada so I will get a couple for use in the bounce house.  It is small so I am not too worried about injuries other than bumping heads.

I read up on bounce house injuries and there are a lot, but a lot of the recent increase can be attributed to their wild popularity and availability.  With the great big ones a lot of energy and speed can lead to injuries, and they are often overloaded with kids at parties, etc., which leads to contact injuries.  "Experts" on child safety often say absolutely no trampolines and no bounce houses.  However, other types of play injuries are far higher than these.  I think skateboards are at the top of the list!

While I believe in protecting my kids I'm not going to shelter them from every perceived danger in life because of the risk of injury.  I, and others of course, had plenty of injuries growing up while have lots of fun too.  Luckily, nowadays there is a lot of safety equipment available and I will try to make sure they realize the value of using it.

marine6357
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

While I believe in protecting my kids I'm not going to shelter them from every perceived danger in life because of the risk of injury.  I, and others of course, had plenty of injuries growing up while have lots of fun too

There is a country song by Bucky Covington about us old guys LOL

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, marine6357 said:

That sums it up well!  And somehow we survived!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I ordered 2 of these for the kids.  I wish I had them when they were learning to walk but now they are good for some rougher play activities.  My 1.5 year seems to think she will be a MMA star and she already weighs over 15 kilos.  Her big sis is only 17-18.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catree-baby-infants-walk-safety-headguard-warm-cap-harnesses-hats-protect-helmet-intl-52361263.html

• Like 1

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2017 at 12:40 AM, OnMyWay said:

Good point about helmets.  When my first daughter was learning to walk I tried to find those soft helmets here in the Philippines but they were not available.  Now I see they have them on Lazada so I will get a couple for use in the bounce house.  It is small so I am not too worried about injuries other than bumping heads.

I read up on bounce house injuries and there are a lot, but a lot of the recent increase can be attributed to their wild popularity and availability.  With the great big ones a lot of energy and speed can lead to injuries, and they are often overloaded with kids at parties, etc., which leads to contact injuries.  "Experts" on child safety often say absolutely no trampolines and no bounce houses.  However, other types of play injuries are far higher than these.  I think skateboards are at the top of the list!

While I believe in protecting my kids I'm not going to shelter them from every perceived danger in life because of the risk of injury.  I, and others of course, had plenty of injuries growing up while have lots of fun too.  Luckily, nowadays there is a lot of safety equipment available and I will try to make sure they realize the value of using it.

i'm not a supporter of the so-called nanny state britain has turned into thanks to our european "friends". far from it, just sensible advice from the son of two solicitors who dealt with hundreds of idiotic injuries that could easily have been prevented. you learn to spot potential hazards. if bouncy castles were available "home size" when we were kids, then you're argument stands. but they weren't. don't join the weeping mothers and fathers of previous victims. merry christmas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9701945/Alarming-increase-in-bouncy-castle-injuries.html

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted

oh yeah, i forgot to add that i'm not looking for climbing frame stuff any more. i bought some goal posts for the kids so they can learn football instead of that inane basketball everyone seems to play here. if anyone fancies clubbing together to support the national philippine football team then i will gladly support them. being a boro fan for nearly 50 years, i've had a lot of experience with supporting losers. but i am deturmined to turn them around. anyone with me?

"did we quit when the germans bombed pearl harbour?"

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2017 at 7:31 AM, marine6357 said:

sorry, but this dude was born in 1977, a couple of years after video games became popular. just because he was too poor to afford them doesn't mean they are not important. i could insert a very appropriate quote from cartman here but not going to because i might get banned.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, DirkSquirrel said:

i'm not a supporter of the so-called nanny state britain has turned into thanks to our european "friends". far from it, just sensible advice from the son of two solicitors who dealt with hundreds of idiotic injuries that could easily have been prevented. you learn to spot potential hazards. if bouncy castles were available "home size" when we were kids, then you're argument stands. but they weren't. don't join the weeping mothers and fathers of previous victims. merry christmas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9701945/Alarming-increase-in-bouncy-castle-injuries.html

There are dozens of similar articles in the U.S. and they talk about regulations being needed.  Not sure what those would be.  Perhaps regulating all the rental places.  I amazed at how many of the bad injuries are caused when the wind comes up and the bounce house blows away!  If you can't properly install and monitor the darn thing, don't use it.

Our small indoor one is put away until the soft helmets arrive.  I see bumping heads as the greatest risk in this small one.  I put a soft roll mattress in the exit door area and sit there, in case they have a misstep there. 

DirkSquirrel
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Our small indoor one is put away until the soft helmets arrive.  I see bumping heads as the greatest risk in this small one.  I put a soft roll mattress in the exit door area and sit there, in case they have a misstep there. 

yeah, bumping heads dude, that's the problem. young skulls damage easy, they're not as thick as some of the other people on the forum. good luck mate! 

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

FFS! did  No one here grown as a Child, Mamby pamby kids of today with silly Parents that still wrap them in Cotton wool

Playgrounds.jpg :89:

• Like 1