Advice for a new expat in the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I spoke to My lawyer a while ago and asked about this ( she is an immigration Lawyer in CEBU) she pointed me to this

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/temporary-visitor-s-visa

Not a 9g nor a 9a and seems to have all things covered one way or another, not sure if it helps but it is what it is

:thumbsup:  Well there you go. I always believed you could not work at all on a tourist visa. My definition of work is a business meeting which takes the tourist out of the meaning for me. Just to add, I notice it says temporarily in nature. 

My idea of a tourist

tourist on beach.jpg :whistling:

• Like 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

Hi Jack, many thanks, the below statement from the site, seems to cover it, i did give the full story to them, and they said no problem, as im not earning an income there, im entertaining existing clients and so forth, and as im using Manila as a launch pad to other countries, they did not see a problem, but told me to apply for the correct visa once married.

Temporary Visitor’s Visa is available to foreign nationals who are traveling to the Philippines for these common purposes:

Business – may be of commercial, industrial/professional character but must be temporary in nature e.g. those who are attending international conferences, here to negotiate contracts and attend business meetings

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mick said:

but must be temporary in nature e.g. those who are attending international conferences, here to negotiate contracts and attend business meetings

Seems to cover it BUT and there is always a But it is what it is in the Philippines and I for one would really want to know just how long is Temporary as Time Management, is not a big thing here as I am sure you are or certainly will become aware of.  Tomorrow  and Later only or even the in a while comes to play :wink: Best of Luck 

Mick
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Mick

I am in Abu Dhabi so if you need any advise I am happy to support. Not sure how you have a house in the Philippines already as you are not married or have an ACR residence but maybe you have a condo. I have a house and businesses in the Philippines and am happy to share my experiences to date if that helps.

Paul

Hi Paul, May Thanks, we have the house as its in my soon to be wife's name, so any advice would be great, she has also just been to the Nissan Dealer, and they say she can buy the car in her name, i can be on the insurance, and drive for 90 days on my UK License, which will just about cover me to the wedding, from all the replies, and thanks for all the advice, it seems quite flexible there, and im not trying to fly under the radar, its just this move has happened sooner than i wanted, if we were already married, there would not be the issue, but hey ho, thats how it works, one good thing is one of the meetings i have is a partner of Duterte, so i will also grill him for advice as well, as we will be supporting there work.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mick said:

one of the meetings i have is a partner of Duterte, so i will also grill him for advice as well, as we will be supporting there work.

:shock_40_anim_gif: Mind how you tread on this one Mick walking on eggshells.jpg One thing these people are very touchy about with Foreigners are Questions that need a somewhat Honest answer :huh:

Just saying:wink:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My definition of work

If it works for the poster then its all good, but it should be pointed out that the Philippines is a massive bureaucracy and each department does not like the other departments stepping on its toes.

By this I mean a Philippine Embassy can issue visitor visa or marriage visas, the department of trade and industry can issue work visas, the PRA can issue retirement visas and the Bureau of Immigration seems to hate all of the above for stepping into their jurisdiction.  Thus its a case of "your mileage may vary" and I remember reading of a recent case where BI blacklisted an Aussie for working on a tourist visa when technically its not even their jurisdiction.  Its a DTI matter.

I think many of us know that its one of those things where you pays your money and takes your chances and if anyone confronts you to say you are illegally working here then you are guilty until proven innocent.  Such is my opinion on the matter.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I remember reading of a recent case where BI blacklisted an Aussie for working on a tourist visa when technically its not even their jurisdiction.  Its a DTI matter.

Not meaning to drift off topic but I dont understand this. The BI is responsible for visa's and if you dont have the correct visa to be here working then why is it a DTI matter? 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

why is it a DTI matter? 

OK, I may have misspoke.  It may be the DOLE (Department of Labor and Employment) rather than the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry) and then again it will make a difference if you are a business owner or seeking employment.  But in either case, BI has nothing to do with work permits so how can they blacklist you for not having something that they have no control over whether or not you need?  Clear as mud?  Again its just an opinion and I would sure as heck want my arse covered if I was getting a job other than working online or something out of the public eye..  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Clear as mud?

Yep, but you need the correct visa to work so it's a BI matter. If working on say a tourist visa you have violated the the visa terms as to what it is issued for. :smile:

15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But in either case, BI has nothing to do with work permits

But then why do they issue special work permits ? 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/services/special-permits/special-work-permit-commercial

Mick
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yep, but you need the correct visa to work so it's a BI matter. If working on say a tourist visa you have violated the the visa terms as to what it is issued for. :smile:

But then why do they issue special work permits ? 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/services/special-permits/special-work-permit-commercial

Hi Jolly............... from what im reading, im not actually earning income there, business meetings do not come under this or Business Development / Contract negotiations, i know its a mine field, and im sure everyone is right, it will come down to the person who gets involved from the government and there interpretation on the day, i will how ever seek advice from a lawyer once there to make sure everything is done correctly, as there will be a transition period for me, coming and going a few times a month. 

"Quote"

"A foreign national who shall engage in gainful employment for three to six months"