Screening Vine/bush Recommendation

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I have a few small projects to finish that should be complete within two weeks.  In the meantime I will find a welder to make some brackets and trellis for the wall.  Then we will hit the local nursery's and hope we can find the vines available locally. 

Wow, Black-Eyed Susan Vine.  I'm from Maryland and the Black Eyed Susan is our state flower.  They grow wild almost anywhere with nice blooms all summer long.  Here again, I did not know there was a BES Vine.  I'v always loved flowers and gardening but until retirement just have not found the time to learn more.  Just like cooking.  I need to take more time to learn.  Thanks again.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I like the trellis/bougainvillea  idea.  One problem with bamboo is it tends to spread. A lot. I would want something that would fill in but not take over.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I like the trellis/bougainvillea  idea.  One problem with bamboo is it tends to spread. A lot. I would want something that would fill in but not take over.

I agree Tim with the bamboo spreading too much.  However, as much as I like the looks of bougainvillea, I'm not fond of thorns and getting stuck as I trim.  I'm still hoping to locate the Thunbergia grandiflora  here local.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My  mom loved honeysuckle. She always wanted some in the yard... then she got some.  It took over the back half of the yard and tore down a fence. She learned to hate honeysuckle.  :tiphat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My  mom loved honeysuckle. She always wanted some in the yard... then she got some.  It took over the back half of the yard and tore down a fence. She learned to hate honeysuckle.  :tiphat:

I too always loved the smell of honeysuckle.  Back around the 1970s I found bush honeysuckle and planted two in my mothers yard.  It also grows fast and will continue to spread out but was much more manageable than the vine.  I think we finally dug up the last of the roots about five years ago.  Gone!

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, intrepid said:

I have a few small projects to finish that should be complete within two weeks.  In the meantime I will find a welder to make some brackets and trellis for the wall.  Then we will hit the local nursery's and hope we can find the vines available locally. 

Wow, Black-Eyed Susan Vine.  I'm from Maryland and the Black Eyed Susan is our state flower.  They grow wild almost anywhere with nice blooms all summer long.  Here again, I did not know there was a BES Vine.  I'v always loved flowers and gardening but until retirement just have not found the time to learn more.  Just like cooking.  I need to take more time to learn.  Thanks again.

Intrepid---having spent all my life in New England before moving here, I was content in gardening in a short summer season but was used to working with plants that  I was familiar with. When I first started gardening here, I got into researching  and learning the names and habits of many new tropicals, and how they grew here in my area.  I thought that in the continuous heat and warm seasons, everything would just grow without effort all the time!  That's not always the case, and It has been trial and error, but satisfying to try to learn to feel comfortable in making a tropical garden here with some confidence and success. I think that gardening here is a great hobby if one has the space and interest. I think you'll enjoy it too. Let us all know how you're coming along!:smile:

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

What a wonderful post this is and thanks to all that contributed to it and posted pictures of their piece of paradise. This segment is what new members like myself, like to read, we get enough negative news back in our own countries. 

Like Oliver Twist said, can I have some more please. :cornflakes:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, intrepid said:

However, the head gardener/chief cook and all else overruled me on that one.

Perhaps our wives are related?  :hystery:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Personally, I think bougainvillea along the top of a wall is great because it is thorny and adds a security aspect. I like bougainvillea myself and have lots around the house, but my wife wants to tear it out because she says it is bad luck. Filipinos have strong opinions about plants being lucky or not.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Reboot said:

I like bougainvillea myself and have lots around the house, but my wife wants to tear it out because she says it is bad luck

We planted a gorgeous bougainvillea at the house we built for my wife's parents.  It grew into a huge bush with perfect shape and a multitude of brilliant red blooms that would just knock your eyes out.  Mom had a stroke and ladies from the church came to visit.  One of the ladies told her that the red flowers were bad luck.  Next time I went to visit the folks the plant was cut off clear to the ground. :shock_40_anim_gif: Sometimes you do not know if you should laugh or cry. :SugarwareZ-034:.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1