Is it a good idea?

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

You could teach English online here,many people do and some make a decent chunk of change.

That's something worth looking into. I'd really be interested to learn more about that although I'm not a computer geek.

• Like 1

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Balisidar said:

Seems to me that your Filipina girlfriend is making an investment in YOU.  Go with your gut on this one and take a chance.  Your having lived in Thailand and Cambodia U don't think you'll have much culture shock and with her sister helping you guys out sounds like a good deal to me.

If you start a business though try and make it unique.  As mentioned sari-sari stores are a dime a dozen.😁

That's the impression I get too. Hers sisters seem thrilled at the idea that "Little Sister" found a decent, honest guy and have often talked about becoming "part of the family".

• Like 1

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its hard to explain without a bunch of members getting in my face over what is only my opinion but I'll give it a try:

When a filipina is living and working somewhere else she is just another person on the planet.  When she comes home to her family it is like that family found the Holy Grail and they treat her like a Queen.  It doesn't take long before she starts to act like one.  AGAIN, just my opinion based on personal observations of some filipinas.

Kinda the opposite of most of us, I think is what you're trying to say, right? You know, like when we're back home we're just another Joe 6' Pack or the guy next door, but when we come east and at even half way presentable, we are often held in high regard.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RonnyRay said:

That's something worth looking into. I'd really be interested to learn more about that although I'm not a computer geek.

You don`t have to be a computer geek. Google online English teachers or words to that effect and see what comes up.

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

You don`t have to be a computer geek. Google online English teachers or words to that effect and see what comes up.

Gotcha. Thanks for the good advice. Not to get too far off topic (and I have asked this before with varying answers), but if I got married there and later applied for a more permanent kind of visa like a 13 A, is a full medical exam required? And if it is, what do they screen for or check for and where would I have to go to get one? And another thing I'd like to ask is about background checks. I'm clean as a whistle except for some minor traffic violations when I was in my late teens/early 20s, but I haven't been back to the US in over 15 years, so what do I do if they want that?

Gary D
Posted
Posted

It's my understanding that you need to get the NBI clearence from where you were last living ie Cambodia, once you have been in the Philippines six months you would then get it locally in the Philippines. Again not sure about this but the health check is only required when applying from abroad. Another concern is going to be on going visa costs, they will burn through your nest egg very quickly.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Another concern is going to be on going visa costs

18 hours ago, RonnyRay said:

We'd definitely be getting married and not be just living together

Good points here.  Get married before coming if you are dang sure its what you want to do.  That gives you a year on a BB privilege before you need to worry about visa costs.  That will have to be enough time to figure out if its what you want.

• Like 5

RonnyRay
Posted
Posted

So Dave and Gary, you speak as if visa costs there are exceptionally expensive? As an American, am I not allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for 1 month? And if I can, can I do this without having to show a return ticket showing that I will be leaving the Philippines at a certain date? What is the best way I can enter the Philippines- meaning what visa should I first get? I ask this because I'm not convinced that I can marry my gf in Cambodia.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, RonnyRay said:

As an American, am I not allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa and stay for 1 month? And if I can, can I do this without having to show a return ticket showing that I will be leaving the Philippines at a certain date?

Yes you can get a free month but you have to show a ticket that you will be leaving again.  The tourist visa will cost you about 20K pesos over the course of a year.  So if you get married first and come for the free year you get as the husband of a filipina then you save buying an exit ticket and 20,0000 pesos.  The choice is yours.

Plus, getting married in Philippines is a lot of bureaucracy.  Its really a pain in the ass but people do it all the time.  Some go to other countries to get married for the sole purpose of avoiding all the "requirements" so if you plan to marry her, better to do it there than here.  And if you don't marry her, there goes your work permit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Once you have been here for 6 months you can apply for the 13a without a medical and if you have a balikbayan stamp in your passport you will still have time to get the 13a without doing tourist visas.As Dave says the tourist will cost about 20k and travelling which will vary depending where your local immigration office is.My friend who used to teach English online here was averaging 50,000 pesos a month salary.