American shot and killed for refusing to buy locals beer.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

For me, I have always  worked on not to be in the wrong Place, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, at the wrong time :wink:

Sure, but in a foreign environment we may not be as aware of where the wrong places are, what the wrong thing to say is and who the wrong people to say it to are.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Sure, but in a foreign environment we may not be as aware of where the wrong places are, what the wrong thing to say is and who the wrong people to say it to are.  

Then my Friend, we need to find out, Look Listen and Learn, Basic Tactics for men who have served, Situational awareness, we all know the signs, If it looks Bad it is bad :smile:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Then my Friend, we need to find out, Look Listen and Learn, Basic Tactics for men who have served, Situational awareness, we all know the signs, If it looks Bad it is bad :smile:

And for those of us who have not served...

Seriously though, when in unfamiliar territory the risks of being unlucky do increase - didn't they teach you that in the services? :tongue:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

And for those of us who have not served...

Seriously though, when in unfamiliar territory the risks of being unlucky do increase - didn't they teach you that in the services? :tongue:

Well if you are going to be flippant let's look at it from a point of view  of someone that has been here many years.

Don't go into areas you don't know on your own. stay away from Girly Bars you have never visited in the daytime

Stay away from unlit or badly lit roads, allys etc, never use an ATM after dark if you are alone

If there are loiterers  on the  street  crossover. Never get involved with drinking with the Locals ( Even if you know them) out in a bar or the Street

More  than one local shouting hey joe, move on.

Being unlucky happens but in my experience and many more here, any Foreigner that gets hit has normally asked for it, Muggings? well that happens any time and anywhere. We offer our knowledge for people to learn But..... in reality, those that can't or won't be guided  just have to learn the hard way.

There a so many things that we should not do and far to many to post here. But this where it all starts being aware. For me, if in doubt Don't!

My Flippant bit; My friend, you are not a silly man BUT are you sure you should be out on your own in any area after dark mainly :hystery:

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well if you are going to be flippant let's look at it from a point of view  of someone that has been here many years.

Don't go into areas you don't know on your own. stay away from Girly Bars you have never visited in the daytime

Stay away from unlit or badly lit roads, allys etc, never use an ATM after dark if you are alone

If there are loiterers  on the  street  crossover. Never get involved with drinking with the Locals ( Even if you know them) out in a bar or the Street

More  than one local shouting hey joe, move on.

Being unlucky happens but in my experience and many more here, any Foreigner that gets hit has normally asked for it, Muggings? well that happens any time and anywhere. We offer our knowledge for people to learn But..... in reality, those that can't or won't be guided  just have to learn the hard way.

There a so many things that we should not do and far to many to post here. But this where it all starts being aware. For me, if in doubt Don't!

My Flippant bit; My friend, you are not a silly man BUT are you sure you should be out on your own in any area after dark mainly :hystery:

Your flippant is my light-hearted.  I did add "Seriously..." to my comment but obviously it missed the mark.

I've made it through 13+ years so far without incident so I reckon I'm OK to venture out after dark!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jim1 said:

I'm trying to decide if I want to become an expat to the fils. Reading this thread makes living there sound awful. It's inevitable that you're going to get hassled, rolled, pick-pocketed, etc. just for being out and about, and then you have to fortify your home to hopefully keep from being robbed. Is this really normal life for an American expat there? 

It's not as bad as it sounds but it's definitely more dangerous than the states, ofcourse there's dangerous places there but it's fairly easy to know where to avoid. Nearly everywhere here has snatchers etc.

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I reckon I'm OK to venture out after dark!

Not sure what the stigma of dark is. Many crimes happen broad daylight. Many Filipinos are drinking in the day so chances are the same. Then there's being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A couple of years back in McDonalds Talisay a guy gets shot dead. Not because he had anything to do with an incident between a couple of Filipinos and foreigners just that he was in the building at the time so when the Filipino came back with a gun to settle the dispute the innocent guy flees to a toilet but shot dead.

And then there's been cases of foreigners murdering other foreigners so who do you trust? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not sure what the stigma of dark is. Many crimes happen broad daylight. Many Filipinos are drinking in the day so chances are the same. Then there's being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A couple of years back in McDonalds Talisay a guy gets shot dead. Not because he had anything to do with an incident between a couple of Filipinos and foreigners just that he was in the building at the time so when the Filipino came back with a gun to settle the dispute the innocent guy flees to a toilet but shot dead.

And then there's been cases of foreigners murdering other foreigners so who do you trust? 

Surely you can agree that darkness brings more danger than broad daylight?  Nobody has said crime doesn't happen in broad daylight, but aren't more crimes committed after dark?  Yes, many Filipinos are drunk in the day, but many more are drinking at night to add to the daytime numbers!

To answer your last question - your instinct is perhaps about all you can trust.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

who do you trust? 

Sounds like the name of a good game show

Rats.  Its been done

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Your flippant is my light-hearted.  I did add "Seriously..." to my comment but obviously it missed the mark.

I've made it through 13+ years so far without incident so I reckon I'm OK to venture out after dark!

what can I sayWho knows (dave.jpg so if you know all why get involved. Scratching Head.jpg but then communication to reply.jpg say no more so i will be moving on.png as of course YOU are a safe One?? :wink:

• I'm Confused 1