Philippines Toilet Etiquette

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Or is the outlet pipe only 50 mil because they do not use t/p.  Even when t/p is available, most filipinas prefer the wet hand method, at least that is my observation when noticing that filipinas will come out of the CR that is equipped with tissue and have wet hands but the amount of tissue in CR is still the same. :whistling:

Do you often stand outside toilets eyeying up the philipinas ?. Just wondered if it's some kind of hobby:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

Topics dealing with lavatory use here seem to come up quite often. I wonder why that is. As a seasoned traveller I know of many countries that do not use paper, or are allowed to flush paper, a number of them in the west. It is what it is and you learn not only that perceived squeamishness reduces in time but also the washing versus paper comes out as more hygienic.

Edited by virginprune
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Do you often stand outside toilets eyeying up the philipinas ?

Only when it is my CR and I want to check if no one has stolen the tissue or "brown-streaked" my towels.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Only when it is my CR and I want to check if no one has stolen the tissue

If it's gone,   just Google_Toilet_Paper_wm.jpg  some more:hystery:

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We have a pack of wet wipes at home branded giggles, I wonder they got the name from the phrase Sh@ts and Giggles.

• Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Not the read you want when having breakfast guy's :cornflakes:

Anyway took me back to my youth when on a school trip to Belgium.

As a couple of friends and I enter the gent's to our surprise a little old lady was sitting at a small table.

On the table was some small change and single pieces of toilet roll, this apparently was her way of earning a wage by

keeping the toilet area clean and supplying paper.......probably would cause the same shock reaction today. :tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Do you often stand outside toilets eyeying up the philipinas

Jack got it close in this post

2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

If it's gone . . 

ogle.jpg Its what you do "some" filipinas. :whistling:

o·gle
ˈōɡəl/
verb
  1. 1.
    stare at in a lecherous manner.
    "he was ogling her breasts"
    synonyms: leer at, stare at, eye, make eyes at, check out;
  • Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

This is an issue for me that is solved now, by carrying a pack of  tissues, and hand sanitizer. I can remember many times before years of experience when just urinating, having  had a question mark over my head on seeing a bucket and kabo and wondering how I would go about using that without a major wet accident! ( As an aside, my son had a similar issue as he lives in South Korea. Wet wipes with alcohol or even mild soap can cause a skin reaction/rash for some people. Use your judgement)

Sometimes issues like this seems to speak of a lack of planning or empathy for citizens in general.  Case in point--a few years ago when I was collecting the paperwork and documentation for my probationary permanent visa here in Cebu. At the time, I was sent out to a satellite office of the NBI branch.  After a  computer check and small interview they proceeded to take my fingerprints the old school way of rolling and pressing your fingers involving a copious amount of ink.  After that the civil servant nodded and I was led out of the office.  There was no public bathroom of any kind inside this building, nor any sink in sight. I had to walk out of the building to find a unisex open door bathroom with no paper/running water of any kind. I just gingerly carried myself and my black hands back out and we grabbed a taxi back to the mall.  Now I'm sure that many people are fingerprinted as I was every day. Why wouldn't this office make some sort of system for folks?  New branches are available now, maybe with better facilities. but I'm not knowing. 

I'm often relieved now seeing a pump soap dispenser now that is 90% water when at the comfort room sink. Comfort rooms not much comfort.  Oh well, we all just adapt..

:smile:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Not the read you want when having breakfast guy's :cornflakes:

Anyway took me back to my youth when on a school trip to Belgium.

As a couple of friends and I enter the gent's to our surprise a little old lady was sitting at a small table.

On the table was some small change and single pieces of toilet roll, this apparently was her way of earning a wage by

keeping the toilet area clean and supplying paper.......probably would cause the same shock reaction today. :tiphat:

My wife had a similar experience in Austria except the husband and wife were having breakfast at the small entry table. It works on a concessionaire system. Keep the toilets clean and the tips are yours,

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I carry a pack of tissue, and wet wipes in my bag. Also, small napkins for restaurants.   At home we just use the bum gun. I only buy paper for the annual fiesta - when I know foreigners will be coming over.  :tiphat:

• Like 1