Wood deck repurposed

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

In the USA I have a very nice shop filled with power tools and I also collected antique hand tools.  I brought very few tools with me because of the voltage issue and size restrictions using BB boxes.  I looked for a table saw here but could not find one I liked so I ordered one from Amazon.com and bought a step down transformer here.  A table saw is required because the mahogany strips used to make the "basket weave" for the doors are only 20/1000 inch thick.  They need to be very thin and consistent in order to bend without breaking. 

Mike, Glad you were able to get a table saw.  I'm sure you did a lot of research before buying.  Which one did you get?  I too had a shop for of tools and  many including hand and power.  I also bought and sent a couple good AVR transformers.  I sold most of my machine tools with the biggest regret my Craftsman cast iron top table saw.  I was hoping like you to purchase one here but just could not locate what I was looking for.  I also searched Amazon and looked at many but decided I wanted a heavy saw that I could do more things with.  So my last visit home in April-May I bought one similar, but better, than the one I sold.  I was able to dismantle it and the entire saw fit into a box 28" x 21" x 18".  That includes the 1.5hp motor and cast  leaf extensions.  The shipper only charged $90. from the East coast to Laguna.  Should arrive next month.  Right now I'm building my workshop and hoping to finish it before my boxes arrive.  So many projects I don't think I'd ever be bored.

Edited by intrepid
sp
  • Like 4

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

having the right tools and the space and materials to create nice things here is a real treat. i guess i took having it all for granted until i came here and saw what wasnt available. 

my other surprise has been that almost no carpenters or craftsmen here have seen many of my tools before and are amazed by them. i understood why when they would show up to work and ask to borrow simple things like 25 ft rules and squares and levels. 

they can really put a fine edge on a bolo though.. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Great work Mike. If you are looking for something to keep you busy.... I have a few home improvement projects that need work. :wink:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, intrepid said:

Mike, Glad you were able to get a table saw.  I'm sure you did a lot of research before buying.  Which one did you get?  I too had a shop for of tools and  many including hand and power.  I also bought and sent a couple good AVR transformers.  I sold most of my machine tools with the biggest regret my Craftsman cast iron top table saw.

I read a lot of reviews and ended up buying a DeWalt contractor grade job saw.  I have very pleased with it, heavy enough to ensure reliability and maintain accuracy.  I was particularly impressed with the fence, very solid and easy to make fine adjustments.  While heavy for a portable saw it is still light enough to move into and out of storage.  I miss all my large tools but what I miss the most is my 12 inch surface planer.   It would make short work of cleaning up these deck boards and bringing them all to a consistent thickness for making panels.  Also for cleaning up the rough band saw cut lumber you get at the mills here.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, lobojohn said:

my other surprise has been that almost no carpenters or craftsmen here have seen many of my tools before and are amazed by them

I know you mean.  When the tile guys are doing CR work and I hand them a diamond 1 1/2 inch core bit their faces light up with a smile, same with suction cups to lift and shift the tile.  I am amazed at how they can turn rebar, pvc pipe, concrete nails, etc into so many different type of tools.  Very creative.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Finished the panels to surround the oven/range in the kitchen.  One woven panel and one solid panel.  My wife and I both like the "antique look" so we are leaving in the nail holes and dings.  Finish is satin to give a more natural look to the wood.  The rich color reminds me a lot of aged rosewood or cherry but with more "character" because of the holes and dings.  Suddenly I am getting popular with family, friends, and neighbors.   Makes me wonder if their is some sort of correlation here? :89:

Panel and basket.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

lobojohn
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Finished the panels to surround the oven/range in the kitchen.  One woven panel and one solid panel.  My wife and I both like the "antique look" so we are leaving in the nail holes and dings.  Finish is satin to give a more natural look to the wood.  The rich color reminds me a lot of aged rosewood or cherry but with more "character" because of the holes and dings.  Suddenly I am getting popular with family, friends, and neighbors.   Makes me wonder if their is some sort of correlation here? :89:

Panel and basket.jpg

its the WOW FACTOR Mike. im sure everyone that sees it is totally amazed. for me i can truly appreciate the time, love, and natural born skills that go into your work. i dare say youd love to have some wormy chestnut just laying around waiting to become a pig pen.. ;)

btw mike.. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, lobojohn said:

i dare say youd love to have some wormy chestnut just laying around waiting to become a pig pen.. ;)

Funny you should say that, just yesterday I was thinking how great it would be to have a bunch of spalted maple. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

lobojohn
Posted
Posted

i left an old meat house full of burls behind. wild cherry was my favorite to collect, but i guess i had a dozen or so varieties. priceless to me .any burl is beautiful to me.  always a pack rat for old things and wood oddities, i sold it all to one man and that was that. 

sadly we arent so free to roam the woods and forests here in search of treasures.

this a very old town i live in and lots of history with many old homes that are in high demand for their woodwork and framing and beams and shelled windows. i watched one taken apart piece by piece , tagged and cataloged with TLC and loaded up and shipped out to an architects home base in manila. the locals said he paid 5 mil for the whole place and they still left the main posts in the ground. 

keep on sawin mike

• Like 1