Nippa hut woven cane-sealer

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 8/29/2018 at 12:42 AM, Gary D said:

At the family farm, before the construction phase, all the bamboo, nipa and grass roofing material are placed in a running stream for 3 weeks

I have seen that done here except they put them in the ocean.

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2018 at 11:35 AM, JJReyes said:

Rather than nipa or grass roofing, which is not permitted in western countries because it is considered a fire hazard,

I live in Florida and this isn't the case. The Seminole and Miccosukee tribes used Sabal Palm for roofing when they came down here fleeing Andrew Jackson, and today it is in Floridian patios and back yards everywhere.

chickee-hut-mother-and-child-by-hut-at-t

imgabout.jpg

Edited by Reboot

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have seen that done here except they put them in the ocean.

Soaking in the ocean is an alternative. The salt penetrates and acts as a fire retardant. 

The klongs in Thailand were once used to raft bamboo poles for construction. It would sometimes take a month to move them from the harvest area to the construction site. The klong water soak eliminated the starch that is food for termites, insects and wood borers.

2 hours ago, Reboot said:

I live in Florida and this isn't the case. The Seminole and Miccosukee tribes used Sabal Palm for roofing when they came down here fleeing Andrew Jackson, and today it is in Floridian patios and back yards everywhere.

The traditional material in the Philippines is either nipa or cogon grass. Both are fire hazards.

What is mostly sold today in the United States is synthetic Tiki Tatch in rolls 11 inches by 30 feet. I have seen them used in beach resorts and private homes for their patio area. They look very real. Hard to tell the difference between natural and artificial except the "grass cut" is very uniform for artificial.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 8/28/2018 at 10:42 AM, Gary D said:

The grass roofs here in the UK are usually good for 30-40 years.

The traditional English cottage roofing material is very thick, sometimes 24 inches.  I asked the tour guide if there is a downside. Apparently small rodents like to bore holes to build nests. Still don't know if he was pulling my leg.

• Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The traditional English cottage roofing material is very thick, sometimes 24 inches.  I asked the tour guide if there is a downside. Apparently small rodents like to bore holes to build nests. Still don't know if he was pulling my leg.

The traditional material is called thatch  ,traditionally Norfolk reed is used ,a long straw like plant that grows in marshlands ,the thatch is treated and does last for 30 plus years  the downsides are that it attracts small rodents and costs are  high to have it rethatched 

The traditional roofers are calked Thatchers ,it a very old craft and highly skilled

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The traditional roofers are calked Thatchers

Which can I say, was the Profession Of the First Lady Prime minister of the Uk's great great Grandfather. Hence Margaret Thatcher

Trivia at it's best:smile:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bastonjock said:

The traditional material is called thatch  ,traditionally Norfolk reed is used ,a long straw like plant that grows in marshlands ,the thatch is treated and does last for 30 plus years  the downsides are that it attracts small rodents and costs are  high to have it rethatched 

The traditional roofers are calked Thatchers ,it a very old craft and highly skilled

Thanks for the information. Thatchers are skilled artisans. I especially admire how they can trim the edges straight without the use of a electric/mechanical tool like a hedge trimmer. 

• Like 1