Why Does A Country Tha Grow Rice Have To Import Rice?

Guardian
Posted
Posted
http://www.tribuneonline.org/headlines/20091026hed1.htmlArroyo brings home new debts, Thai rice10/26/2009President Arroyo is coming home today from the long put off Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) leaders summit in Thailand literally with juicy bacons of commitments for new debts and a likely lowering of tariff rates on rice that is expected to spell the doom of rice farming in the country.Thailand and the Philippines held talks yesterday aimed at ending a row over rice tariffs as a result of the long-held government position that the country intended to maintain a 35 percent duty on rice from Thailand which is asking for a drastically lowered 20 percent tariff.Thailand, the world

Hoz
Posted
Posted

Overpopulation? Lack or plantable hectares? Environmental degradation? The Philippines hasn't been able to support itself for many years, having to import rice from other asian nations.

Guardian
Posted
Posted
Overpopulation? Lack or plantable hectares? Environmental degradation? The Philippines hasn't been able to support itself for many years, having to import rice from other asian nations.
They have enough land and enough people someone should teach them how to plant enough rice for the whole country.

til
Posted
Posted

Quite a naive question in the title.Why do the US have to import oil?

Travis
Posted
Posted
sorry sir maybe I am not as educated as you, I have read about the vast land within the Philippines & I just cannot understand why a country with so many people not working & so much land would not have enough rice. If Nam & Indonesia can do it why can't the Philippines? maybe you know something I do not know? could you elaborate on why or do you just like to insult people without giving information

Hoz
Posted
Posted (edited)
They have enough land and enough people someone should teach them how to plant enough rice for the whole country.
Citations? Or just your word? The last part of your sentence implies that a country that has grown and eaten rice forever doesn't possess the knowledge to grow rice. That's absurd!In fact, if you do a google search on this subject you will find a book that explains the Philippines must import rice (and has since the late 1800's) because it is an island nation. The Philippines doesn't have enough suitable land for self sufficency in rice production. Namely, there are no extensive river deltas. Edited by Hoz

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I do not know why myself but I do not think it is the lack of land or the lack of people but the lack of proper irrigation which might be a contributing factor and lack of organization may be another factor IMO and maybe the people who are out of work do not live anywhere near the places that can grow rice. Hopefully all this will change in the next few years and the Philippines will become self sufficient. Link to the storyIRRI to help Philippines grow enough rice for itself(AFP)

Guardian
Posted
Posted
I have read a lot of your posts and it does not seem like you add much but seem to like to dig at others. I too have read extensively about the Philippines and I do not think my question was at all naive but I do think your answer was just a jab without giving anything to prove your point. Sorry I will not bend down to that level and try to insult you. Maybe you should try more than one liners without meaning.
Citations? Or just your word? The last part of your sentence implies that a country that has grown and eaten rice forever doesn't possess the knowledge to grow rice. That's absurd!In fact, if you do a google search on this subject you will find a book that explains the Philippines must import rice (and has since the late 1800's) because it is an island nation. The Philippines doesn't have enough suitable land for self sufficency in rice production. Namely, there are no extensive river deltas.
Sounds like I insulted you? Sorry if that is the case! Maybe you need to read up on the Philippines too because there is a lot of land and if properly prepared then it could be used to grow rice on much of that land. Maybe what Lee said is true and they do not have enough irrigation systems but those can be built with proper labor and if the government was willing to help with the necessary funds. So I hope they get it fixed so less people will be starving in the future.

Hoz
Posted
Posted

Don't take my wordforit, read it for yourself. Why does the Philippines Import Rice?http://books.google.com/books/irri?id=stemcfAZ8UwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=&sig=ecPVDrqcBXDMFeFz79tSoCCtkiM#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Guardian
Posted
Posted
Don't take my wordforit, read it for yourself. Why does the Philippines Import Rice?http://books.google.com/books/irri?id=stemcfAZ8UwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=&sig=ecPVDrqcBXDMFeFz79tSoCCtkiM#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Thank you! :thumbsup: I will read it all and comment more later, right now back to work. :23_11_62[1]: