Do you need to carry legal documents to stay in PI's all the time

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, intrepid said:

I don't know if its a great idea or not but along with photo copies I have pictures of our driver's license, passports, and my acr card on my smart phone.  I usually never home without it.

This is a very simple and safe way to have ID on hand thanks for sharing! :tiphat:

I'll have a picture of my drivers license and passport picture page in my phone during my upcoming visits.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We were being dropped off at NAIA one time and got pulled over by the MDP because we had the wrong coding for that day. It was the first time I ever saw an MPD officer salute a cell phone. Can't immagine who was on the other end, but it worked.:wink:

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:17 AM, Mick said:

As I only still come here as a tourist, as I'm normally flying around for work, I never carry anything, my biggest problem here is traffic police, paid many a black fine for coding, my car is coded Wednesday but now in Manila each area has its own, last Thursday I'm going to the BI office in Manila, to extend my visa for the first time. As I'm getting married next week so not travelling and I crossed over the new yellow lines for buses as I needed to turn right, I was stopped as I entered the yellow lane 10m too early.... :571c66d400c8c_1(103):they wanted my ID and licence I informed them I'm a tourist, I dont carry a passport for security reasons, and my licence does not belong to the LTO, so it's illegal for them to take it, after 15 mins of me refusing to give cash, as I told them to write the ticket, as I'm a tourist, so how will I pay. Then then told me to piss off. And don't cross yellow lines again.... 

Hello!

Is that a fact or is it what you believe?

Just curious because where I come from foreigners drivinglicenses is taken on a regular basis, mostly because of driving when drunk.

The license is then sent to the authorities in his homecountry.

But as long as he dont have the license in his hand he is not allowed to drive.

Many things are different in Philippines but I would like to know the FACTS about this, is it true or false??  

Mick
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Viking said:

Hello!

Is that a fact or is it what you believe?

Just curious because where I come from foreigners drivinglicenses is taken on a regular basis, mostly because of driving when drunk.

The license is then sent to the authorities in his homecountry.

But as long as he dont have the license in his hand he is not allowed to drive.

Many things are different in Philippines but I would like to know the FACTS about this, is it true or false??  

I was told this by another expat so tried it, and it worked. I don't think they would post anything back to another country from here as chances are it would never arrive. I got away with it, maybe next time not, but this time of year in Manila anyway the police are topping up for Christmas 🎅

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2018 at 2:45 AM, intrepid said:

I don't know if its a great idea or not but along with photo copies I have pictures of our driver's license, passports, and my acr card on my smart phone.  I usually never home without it.

I’ve done the same and keep a copy of the pics in cloud storage as well. As far as when I go out, I only carry my duplicate driver’s license, ACR card and a photo copy of my passport in my wallet (with emergency contact info written on the back of the photo copy).

By duplicate license, I mean I went to the DMV in my home state of Florida and told them I misplaced my wallet. Paid a $7.00 fee and got another one (all the data is the same). That way I don’t have to worry if it gets lost or stolen while I’m traveling. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

The fact is, this is the Philippines and everybody has a different experience here.  If it happens to you, tell them they are not allowed to take your driver's license.  If that works then great.  If they take it anyway just remember they have guns and they sometimes use them.

So whatever the law is does not matter.  The law is whatever the cop decides to interpret on that day.  IMHO

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2018 at 9:17 AM, Mick said:

they wanted my ID and licence I informed them I'm a tourist, I dont carry a passport for security reasons, and my licence does not belong to the LTO, so it's illegal for them to take it,

Why would they take it? They wanted to know if you had a licence so why not show them? What they do if no licence to show is impound the vehicle one is driving so maybe you were lucky you weren't walking home. The amount of motorbikes they have impounded while doing clearing works of venders on the sidewalk and at the same time stopping bikes with no helmets or flip flops is very high. No licence to show the bike was put on a truck there and then.

Mick
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Why would they take it? They wanted to know if you had a licence so why not show them? What they do if no licence to show is impound the vehicle one is driving so maybe you were lucky you weren't walking home. The amount of motorbikes they have impounded while doing clearing works of venders on the sidewalk and at the same time stopping bikes with no helmets or flip flops is very high. No licence to show the bike was put on a truck there and then.

Your missing the point I did show them, and told them they can take the details but not have it..... They wanted money, and gave a choice, 1000 if they take it and spend a day getting it back, or 500 cash to make it go away, when I have actually committed no offence, so I dont count myself lucky at all, if more people stood up when they have done nothing wrong, it might actually make a difference for everyone instead of fueling the fire and encouraging and promoting corruption 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mick said:

if more people stood up when they have done nothing wrong, it might actually make a difference for everyone instead of fueling the fire and encouraging and promoting corruption 

No matter how many people p1ss on a forest fire, it will keep burning until the men at the top decide to get serious about putting it out.  Such is my opinion.  You can go along, or you can rebel.  It makes no difference to them.  Even the ones that get caught only get transferred or stall the legal proceedings until they retire.  Such is my opinion, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Mick said:

I was told this by another expat so tried it, and it worked. I don't think they would post anything back to another country from here as chances are it would never arrive. I got away with it, maybe next time not, but this time of year in Manila anyway the police are topping up for Christmas 🎅

Ok, thanks for the info.