Red Alert Raised On Power Supply In Cebu

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Are those of you who live in Cebu full time experiencing blackouts or brownouts? How about those of you who live in other areas, is the power situation getting worse? This does not look good for Cebu because Cebu is growing fast and they do not seem to be able to keep up with power. CEBU, Philippines - The power situation in Cebu is not going to get better yet.The need for additional power sources has once again been highlighted with the rotating brownouts that Cebu is now experiencing.you can read the whole story here

johnb
Posted
Posted
Are those of you who live in Cebu full time experiencing blackouts or brownouts? How about those of you who live in other areas, is the power situation getting worse? This does not look good for Cebu because Cebu is growing fast and they do not seem to be able to keep up with power. CEBU, Philippines - The power situation in Cebu is not going to get better yet.The need for additional power sources has once again been highlighted with the rotating brownouts that Cebu is now experiencing.you can read the whole story here
We live to the South of Cebu City in Pardo, here in Pardo we probably have one short brown out a month, anything between 20 mins and 1 I/2 Hrs, we have had longer but luckily there rare, if Veco have scheduled work to complete they normally post the information in the newspaper along with the effected areas and an approximate completion time, I belive last weekend some areas of south Cebu were without power for 9 hours due to Maintenance. With all the proposed construction work by SM to the south of the City, this power situation needs to be addressed. a knock on effect is our water supply, the pressure is always low during the day, so we have a water tank that fills during the evening, however when ever there is a brown out we also lose water [ must be an electric booster pump somewhere in line] so if the brown out comes at night, our tank stops filling, and when power returns the pressure is low for hours because water is demanded in every household, we now have a second water tank at ground level, I fitted a small water pump to this and can use a generator [During brown outs] to lift the water to our upper tank. if brown outs get longer it will cause problems with the demand and distribution of water.John

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We are getting scheduled brown outs every evening about 5:30 to 6:00 and lasts about 45 mins. ............... Veco must be getting ready to ask for an increase so they can fix the brown out problem ......... in the meantime I have sold all my stuff ... ate up all my food ..... spent all my money and I am standing on the 3rd floor balcony railing with a rope around my neck waiting for the end to come ....... but in case it doesn't it doesn't I guess it will be life as normal tomorrow ....... and the next day ... and the next day etc. ...etc. .... etc. SugarwareZ-007.gif...... but one quick note ....... candles are cheap here and we get to eat by candle light ....... now isn't that romantic ......... :23_11_62[1]:SugarwareZ-011.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted

Consolacion had a couple of 1 hour brownouts last week due to shortage. Today we had another brownout from 11 am until noon, again due to shortage. I hope they finish those new plants in Naga soon. At least the brownouts lately are occuring in the daytime. No need to start up the generator. But when a brownout comes in the evening darkness I have to run the generator for sure. .

Travis
Posted
Posted

ditto some but not bad I brought a battery fan biggrin.gif & I freeze water in containers & put them in front of the fan to stay comfy biggrin.gif

Guest OceanBreeze
Posted
Posted

Just also read an article about Cebu`s brownouts in the businessmirror:Monday, 02 November 2009 17:43

IN a single day, October 23, Metro Cebu suffered sporadic brownouts for close to 12 hours, "rotated" to different feeders by the local distribution utility to spread out the damage. That Friday was just one of many, increasingly recurring days this year when most of the Visayas run short of its needed power, a problem predicted years ago but has not yet quite been prepared for. Cebu is luckier, according to the Department of energy (DOE) in the Visayas. The real effects of the brownouts, caused by the power shortages in central Philippines, only affected the biggest metropolis outside Metro Manila the past few months. Other islands and cities like Iloilo, Bacolod and tourist capital Boracay had been suffering almost daily brownouts since 2008. And it is bound to get worse, with a less glittery Christmas to boot, the agency warned. "We had to voluntarily shut down our office, except the essential equipment, so we could save 1.5 MW," Ethel Natera, the spokesperson of the distribution utility Visayan Electric Company (Veco), said on Friday. "We were fanning ourselves while working inside a closed building." The bigger disaster problem is the Visayas had been in the same situation, power shortages and daily rotation brownouts, barely five years ago. And power managers are warning if the present problem is not handled well, another round of brownouts will hit the region in the next four to five years. The Visayas grid is presents the most complex challenge for power players. The major island groups

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

The rate (total peso/KWh) on our bill from VECO increased almost 15% last month. Looks like we are paying for the big users to run their generators. What Cebu needs is a nuclear power plant. (Just don't build it near my house.) Cebu is safe because earthquake activity here is minimal. Nuclear is clean power. Forget about wind or solar - they are too inefficient. Anyway, having plenty of power is vital for economic growth. More businesses will locate here and provide more jobs so people can lift themselves out of poverty..

Edited by M.Morey

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Mike, Nuclear power in Philippines? That

Guardian
Posted
Posted
The rate (total peso/KWh) on our bill from VECO increased almost 15% last month. Looks like we are paying for the big users to run their generators. What Cebu needs is a nuclear power plant. (Just don't build it near my house.) Cebu is safe because earthquake activity here is minimal. Nuclear is clean power. Forget about wind or solar - they are too inefficient. Anyway, having plenty of power is vital for economic growth. More businesses will locate here and provide more jobs so people can lift themselves out of poverty..
Please not in Cebu, I was thinking of making that my home. In a country where rebels keep blowing things up, they do not need nuke power.
Mike, Nuclear power in Philippines? That

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Good point Guardian, solar power would be a great fit there. Hydroelectric or tidal may not be doable for most of the Philippines.Nuclear and Philippines are mutually exclusive words for many reasons.