Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TonyHanscomb

English man retiring to Philippines, can work?

Recommended Posts

I am planning to move to the Philippines, i will apply for a retirement visa. Can I do freelance work? (Self employed) to boost my pension?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum Tony.

Not sure what you mean by freelance work. Generally speaking NO a Foreigner may not work in Philippines there are some exceptions.

If you were to be doing something online that would be acceptable if kept to yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TonyHanscomb said:

I am planning to move to the Philippines, i will apply for a retirement visa

Welcome

Your talking about a SRRV I assume? This visa says you can study but nothing is mentioned about working.

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

 

Added

But when asked the question and got an answer in minutes,

 

Dear Mr Thomas,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes that is certainly possible, but subject to some constitutional restrictions.

Best regards,

James S. Biron, J.D., M.B.A., R.E.B., C.I.S.
PRA Accredited Marketer

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Welcome

Your talking about a SRRV I assume? This visa says you can study but nothing is mentioned about working.

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/SRRV-Info-Guide-04.14.15.pdf

 

Added

But when asked the question and got an answer in minutes,

 

Dear Mr Thomas,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes that is certainly possible, but subject to some constitutional restrictions.

Best regards,

James S. Biron, J.D., M.B.A., R.E.B., C.I.S.
PRA Accredited Marketer

Thanks for the info. Yes I will apply for SRRV But I am wondering if after doing that I can set up a small business and get a work permit as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TonyHanscomb said:

Thanks for the info. Yes I will apply for SRRV But I am wondering if after doing that I can set up a small business and get a work permit as well?

Well now we are talking about more than your first post. Generally foreigners can not own a business unless its a corporation. 60/40 rule of ownership. Are you married to a Filipina?   That gives you other options. I assume you are talking about photography business? 

You can talk directly with SRRV with this link, https://www.srrv.com.ph/?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOcwoJVU6TlsHLJPnTU03ju2kTIqcDSFq0959YqKPNWNdpGbb1b2GQeBoChKoQAvD_BwE#FAQ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well now we are talking about more than your first post. Generally foreigners can not own a business unless its a corporation. 60/40 rule of ownership. Are you married to a Filipina?   That gives you other options. I assume you are talking about photography business? 

You can talk directly with SRRV with this link, https://www.srrv.com.ph/?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOcwoJVU6TlsHLJPnTU03ju2kTIqcDSFq0959YqKPNWNdpGbb1b2GQeBoChKoQAvD_BwE#FAQ 

Not married, and yes photography. 

Perhaps it's not at all possible but worried my pension won't be quite enough 800 UK pounds per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TonyHanscomb said:

Not married, and yes photography. 

Perhaps it's not at all possible but worried my pension won't be quite enough 800 UK pounds per month.

I have a close friend with an SRRV.  He likes to travel through the islands taking photos for additional income.  To prevent local employment issue problems, the photos are marketed through a stock photography company based in Hong Kong.  

I previously owned an advertising photography studio in the Philippines. Don't forget to bring lots to silica gel or a small dehumidifier for the closet where you plan to store your equipment.  The humidity is incredible. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I have a close friend with an SRRV.  He likes to travel through the islands taking photos for additional income.  To prevent local employment issue problems, the photos are marketed through a stock photography company based in Hong Kong.  

I previously owned an advertising photography studio in the Philippines. Don't forget to bring lots to silica gel or a small dehumidifier for the closet where you plan to store your equipment.  The humidity is incredible. 

Yes I could do something like that but stock agencies don't pay out much. I am a member of I stock photo and I have hundreds of pictures with them. Sold 20 photos last month and got 12 us $ !!!

I could partner with a local company I guess. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try looking for an online photography job, my wife just got one paying $800 per month, supposed to be fulltime but only takes her about 10 hours per week, literally just has to take pictures of cakes and sweets.

800 pounds per month won't be too bad if you're single if you've got savings for any emergencies etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×