planning for my trip in february, advice needed

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well considering they give away free sim cards at the airport I dont think he will get a better deal besides a sim card is cheap.

I missed that when I was there early this month. Who is it that gives them away?

RBM
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lou49 said:

Notify your bank that you will be using your atm or credit cards abroad. Get 10,000php from your home bank before you leave. Have a few different ways/options to access money while u are in the PI. Have copies of all your documents , keep the originals in the hotel safe. Trust no one. 

Very good point, I was refused funds at an ATM last week in Malaysia as did not advise bank I was going there.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

I missed that when I was there early this month. Who is it that gives them away?

Assuming they still do, smart and globe. https://smart.com.ph/Pages/touristsim

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well considering they give away free sim cards at the airport I dont think he will get a better deal besides a sim card is cheap.

When I came back here(Jan this year) the sim was free but it was the load deal which was crappy.That is why I say in the mall as you can get a better load deal which would best his needs.

Edited by sonjack2847
I`m a twit and left out info.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, RBM said:

Very good point, I was refused funds at an ATM last week in Malaysia as did not advise bank I was going there.

In the past my bank has stopped my card.I called them and they said we didn`t know you were there ummmm where do you send my letters oh yes they said never had a problem since.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lou49 said:

He will probably spend the 10k php. in a few days. He has a list of gals to meet and entertain. An atm withdrawl costs about 5 bucks US.

If he checks the time limit,to pick up the money,and it works for him he could send several times and collect it when needed.5 bucks I wonder how much it would cost to send the money maybe more.The thing to do is check your options and work out what works best for you.

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't know about the other terminals but we arrived at NAIA Terminal 3 Sept 27. We got a Globe SIMM and bought 300 peso load. Then we enabled internet data using GOSURF50. 50 pesos for 3 days of data up to 1GB. Several banks had booths to do FX and the rates were excellent. 54.10 for 1USD. Rates have dropped a great deal since then due to the holiday season. Once you have a SIMM with internet data you can use Grab to get your taxi ride. Download and setup the Grab app with your credit card before you arrive. Then you won't need to use cash for your Grab taxi rides. So much nicer than a regular taxi and they can pickup at the airport. Your bank in the US or Canada is never going to be able to give you as good an exchange rate as you can get in the Philippines from a money changer there. Even the major banks doing FX at the airport had very competitive rates. Bring fresh crisp new US $100. Those are the easiest to exchange.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 3

usa32
Posted
Posted

I appreciate it. This forum is great, alot of people willing to help.

Cheers!

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, usa32 said:

I appreciate it. This forum is great, alot of people willing to help.

Cheers!

You wont say that when you get the bill :smile:

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I took all the anti theft precautions just like you are when I first arrived. Turns out I didn't need them but it's better safe than sorry. 

Activate the safety feature that's built into your brain to avoid unwanted situations. If something doesn't FEEL right, politely excuse yourself and get away from it. 

If you like to drink...only do it in a safe place with lots of people around.

• Like 1