How or has your son or daughter experienced "bullying" here in the Philippines?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I understand your point of view - really I do. But, I think many of us are struggling with correlating what happened to what punishment was meted out. Honestly speaking, what you describe would be considered as a mere prank by most if us, not an act of bullying, and worthy of no more than a sternish talking to. It just seems like an all-round over reaction. I am basing this on the assumption that this is an isolated incident. 

I suppose every school has its standard so perhaps this school is stricter than what you and I are accustomed to. Yes, in the states this would not have raised an eyebrow. I was brought up when fights were a daily thing and the 2 involved would get "swats" and it ended there. I've been in many starting from elementary school and all through junior hi and hi school. I was never suspended. 

Furthermore, as I mentioned before, perhaps the kid who stole his lunch had many other rule infractions and this was the last straw. I really do not know nor care. Yes, the school is very strict with clothes and haircuts and makeup. They even insist on speaking English and not Tagalog.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Furthermore, as I mentioned before, perhaps the kid who stole his lunch had many other rule infractions and this was the last straw. I really do not know nor care. 

It seems likely this was not the first infringement by the kid concerned given the apparent over reaction.

I have to say though, maybe you should care just a little as, on the face if it, the situation is not all that great in terms of giving confidence in the school's disciplinary policy - it's too harsh IMO

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'd also worry about the parents reaction over their son being excluded. Must be a big lose of face involved. And of course it will be all your sons fault.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

I'd also worry about the parents reaction over their son being excluded. Must be a big lose of face involved. And of course it will be all your sons fault.

Unless the parents blame ‘the foreigner’ parent...

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

Not sure in other countries, but bullying in private schools in PH is worse than you can ever imagine, not because of the victim and the bully, but because of the leadership. Since they are more concern in burying the story to avoid hurting the profit, rather than doing something about it, unless there is a social media outcry, just like what happened recently(Ateneo bullying). 

In public schools, students tend to take matter in their own hands. bullies have to be more careful, or else they'll end up transferring to another place. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

That's what I said

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

It seems likely this was not the first infringement by the kid concerned given the apparent over reaction.

I have to say though, maybe you should care just a little as, on the face if it, the situation is not all that great in terms of giving confidence in the school's disciplinary policy - it's too harsh IMO

I disagree. It's a matter of self discipline. It's not my fault the kid has none. Again, It was not my decision to expel the kid. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gary D said:

Why would it be my boy's fault?  I don't see your logic. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Now that's funny. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, frozenmystic28 said:

Not sure in other countries, but bullying in private schools in PH is worse than you can ever imagine, not because of the victim and the bully, but because of the leadership. Since they are more concern in burying the story to avoid hurting the profit, rather than doing something about it, unless there is a social media outcry, just like what happened recently(Ateneo bullying). 

In public schools, students tend to take matter in their own hands. bullies have to be more careful, or else they'll end up transferring to another place. 

Not sure about bullying in other private schools in the Philippines. I'm sure there have been some. Some minor and some major. 

A child has to learn to live by the rules while they are young. How will they ever learn if not when they are young? At home, in school, or in public. 

Undisciplined children will grow up to be undisciplined adults. 

• Like 1