Baguio - A Disaster Waiting To Happen?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Manila is largely built on reclaimed swampland. Nothing to worry about there.

"Manila. Manila, capital and chief city of the Philippines. ... The city's name, originally Maynilad, is derived from that of the nilad plant, a flowering shrub adapted to marshy conditions, which once grew profusely along the banks of the river; the name was shortened first to Maynila and then to its present form."

And all this time I thought it was named after the envelopes and the hemp.:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

And all this time I thought it was named after the envelopes and the hemp.:laugh:

Joking aside :smile:

There is always something to be learnt with this forum :thumbsup:

Been to Baguio a couple of times, before express ways and I saw many signs of land slides, I recall there was one large

break -off that was shaped/ looked like a Lion...:89:Our relationship started at Wood's place, don't know if it's still there but it had quite a view from the apartment.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

The main element that makes up this durable style of envelope is the Manila hemp. The Manila hemp is derived from a species of banana originally from the Philippines, whose fibers are tough. The hemp is then used during the paper making process, similar to how Kraft paper uses wood pulp.  So the mystery is solved, the manila envelope gets its name from the hemp in which it is made from.

There you go, you're learned something else today :thumbsup:

Please stop!! You are giving me memories of being back in school! Oh the humanity..:bash:

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Please stop!! You are giving me memories of being back in school! Oh the humanity..:bash:

Then write two hundred lines " I must be more tolerant of other people! :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Then write two hundred lines " I must be more tolerant of other people! :hystery:

lines (Bart).jpg:whistling:

• Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Looking at the size of the boulders around my farm , one or two are as large as a small family car , the business end of the volcano called mount apo is some distance away , it must have been one hell of an eruption to hurl boulders that large , such a distance .

If that one ever goes bang again it's going to be a real mess

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We are in the shadow of Pinatubo. Luckily only ash when it erupted but the wife said it was up to the window sills and they were raking it from the roof to stop it collapsing.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, bastonjock said:

If that one ever goes bang again it's going to be a real mess

Well soldier, you are trained to bend over and kiss your ass goodbye after shooting off your last magazine.  But if you have a few more extra minutes.......it's party time!  You can make it a sports game called The Last Man Standing -- to see who can dodge those flying lava bombs while staggering for another beer.....he, he.  

• Haha 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Interesting. 

This is how we discipline our boy (stepson). His mother used to get angry and scold him so loud that all the neighbors could hear. He would just pretend to listen and then again some other time he would do whatever he was scolded for again. 

I changed it to save her from another temper flare up when I suggested that he write sentences for whatever he did. First infraction, 5 pages back to back. Next time 10 pages back to back. 

I made up some rules and posted them in his room on the wall. Any violation would result in pages written. 

It has worked. No more loud temper flare up from wife (mother). He, (stepson) hates to write. 

I'm thinking of some rules for my wife next. (Grin)

• Like 3
  • Love it 1