Malaysian Airlines Manila-Auckland

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody flying Malaysian Airlines these days?  I have not really considered them since MH 370 flew off into the wild blue yonder and was never seen again.

Searching for flights to Auckland for next December and MH has a good fare.  The PAL direct flight has good prices in November but their calendar only goes til mid-December now, so I have to wait to see what the fares will be.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Don’t fly Malaysian airlines. 

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Don’t fly Malaysian airlines. 

Why not, we used them several time a few year ago and they quite acceptable.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

QA and maintenance issues. I would avoid that airline.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Anybody flying Malaysian Airlines these days?  I have not really considered them since MH 370 flew off into the wild blue yonder and was never seen again.

Searching for flights to Auckland for next December and MH has a good fare.  The PAL direct flight has good prices in November but their calendar only goes til mid-December now, so I have to wait to see what the fares will be.

I am in NZ at the moment. Normally fly Singapore airlines, if you spend time on line price is attractive. Just be sure to score to the airbus.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, RBM said:

I am in NZ at the moment. Normally fly Singapore airlines, if you spend time on line price is attractive. Just be sure to score to the airbus.

Last time we used SQ and paid about $1275 USD for adult fare, but we had to book a hotel for the overnight layover on the way back.  It looks like they have changed schedules since then and an overnight layover is not needed.  Adult fares on the dates we need are as low as $950.

However, need to consider PAL direct at only 10 hours.  The PAL calendar only goes until the second week of December so I can't see the fare over Christmas yet.  If I put in early December dates the fare is also about $950.

I didn't consider PAL last time because they were flying a small airbus and stopping in AU.  Now they have an Airbus A330-300 non-stop.  It has 2-4-2 seating.  Anybody tried this aircraft yet?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We really don't have much privacy, do we?  This ad comes up twice on this page.

Screenshot (394).png

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Anybody tried this aircraft yet?

Yep a few times, Good if you have a couple of kids as you  are all together in a 4 Row, but if you are just a couple, the very last seats both sides and Just 2 and right before the CR's

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yep a few times, Good if you have a couple of kids as you  are all together in a 4 Row, but if you are just a couple, the very last seats both sides and Just 2 and right before the CR's

We are 5 now but that is not a big deal as we work out the seats.

This reminded to rant on PAL a bit.  They do not give any discount for children aged 2-11, and they charge extra to sit in an aisle seat or in the front.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

QA and maintenance issues. I would avoid that airline.

Hmm Dan.......this is interesting.  Now you have my curiosity peaking.  Perhaps on a different topic, what has been the tsimis around the cooler at your Boeing plant regarding the disappearance of MH 370?