What limitations or restrictions come with sponsoring a new wife to the US

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

I concur that with an income of $1500 per month he will not meet the financial requirements for the visa unless he can get a cosponsor. But even if he were to get a visa his new wife will be required to have health insurance which is getting pretty damned expensive in the USA. Regarding travel back to the Philippines, you don't receive your permanent resident green card until you have lived in the US for 2 years, the one she would receive would be a temporary green card. With the temporary green card immigration can deny her entry. A rule of thumb I read was that it is ok to leave and return on short vacations but if she is out of the US for more than a month or two she could get denied reentry.

I heard this too after the fact but they let her (us) back in. After 6 weeks.

Edited by Reboot

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

Two sites I used:  USCIS . gov and ph . usembassy . gov.  Did all the paperwork myself (and it was correct), it was easy, just all the politics here in the United States over immigrations.   Both sites give step by step.

• Thanks 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

My wife & I are sponsoring a member of our family to come & visit us in the UK, we are not quite sure how difficult it may be even with a letter from us assuring that all costs, living expenses, pocket money and a booked return ticket are in place, she will be applying for a holiday visa, her interview is in early March so we will see what they say then.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Joey G said:

I don't know why immigration at the airport in the Philippines would care much on the way out, because the hoops the Phil govt will put you through to get to that point is where they would get involved. But if one thought that an "age difference" at the airport would be an issue, then go through separately... it's not like they would know who you are unless you broadcasted it.

As I said. When I took my partner to Cambodia she was quizzed. There was seperate lanes for Filipinos and Foreigners so we never went through together. It started by asking who purchased the ticket, who she was travelling with then onto personal relationship questions before she was allowed through. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:
23 hours ago, Joey G said:

I don't know why immigration at the airport in the Philippines would care much on the way out, because the hoops the Phil govt will put you through to get to that point is where they would get involved. But if one thought that an "age difference" at the airport would be an issue, then go through separately... it's not like they would know who you are unless you broadcasted it.

As I said. When I took my partner to Cambodia she was quizzed. There was seperate lanes for Filipinos and Foreigners so we never went through together. It started by asking who purchased the ticket, who she was travelling with then onto personal relationship questions before she was allowed through. 

This topic is regarding a fiance with fiance Visa to the US who has already been screened in order to get the visa. A young single filipina traveling outside the Philippines will get quizzed to ensure she is not caught up in some human trafficking scam.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

If you have a fiancé visa and a one way ticket to the U.S.... I doubt Philippine Immigration is going to ask who bought the ticket... or why she's leaving the country.  

A young Filipina going to Cambodia (obviously not on a fiancé visa I assume)... yeah, I could see some questions on that one... I'd actually be surprised if she didn't get questions at Cambodian side as well.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

This topic is regarding a fiance with fiance Visa to the US who has already been screened in order to get the visa. A young single filipina traveling outside the Philippines will get quizzed to ensure she is not caught up in some human trafficking scam.

I read the initial post as his friend was looking at bringing his partner over on a fiance visa and not that she had already got one.  

Doing a quick google search showed that on average 40 Filipinos per day are off loaded from flights even when they have all the necessary documents. It only takes an Immigration officers doubts and you are off loaded and there's no appeal. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Image result for k1 visa income requirements 2018

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 2/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, manofthecoldland said:

My 70 year old friend is considering marrying a young Filipina after he brings her to the USA on a fiancee visa. He has been coming here to escape the northern winters for the last 12 years, with nearly 6 month stays. I asked him if it would then restrict his ability to spend his winters here, and he said he didn't know. He hadn't bothered to find out but just figured that he could bring her back and forth with him.  I told him I had my doubts. Most of our friends who have Filipina wives stay put in the USA until the wife satisfies green card requirements or obtain US citizenship before returning to the PI after a few years for a brief visit, so he will perhaps be in uncharted waters if he erroneously expects his annual long term stay here to continue after he marries and sponsors a Filipina wife to the USA for at least a few years while she fulfills her new immigrant status obligations.

If anyone knows more about this, or where on the US immigration site or other legal web sites I might find this info, I would appreciate it and pass it on to him. I have done a cursory search, but located no details as of yet, but I do recall from the mentions of other Fil-Am friends, that some do exist.

He hates northern winters and their attendant incurred costs of winter living at his age. He also lives on $1500/month and lives in efficiencies with no A/C while here, skimping on everything (Yes, he is a regular Mr. Koriput eating at carendaria's and staying at P 600/night places on his visa runs, preferring ferries to jets, to save on excess baggage fees, and taking jeepneys when possible.)  In the event that he income qualifies to bring a young woman to the USA, I doubt that his life of cheap and easy winters in the PI will continue.  But he thinks he can pull it off with no evidence to the contrary, optimistically dreaming and hoping with willful ignorance at this point.     

If anyone knows or remembers about a new Filipina wife's restrictions or complications on leaving the USA the first years after marriage, while fulfilling her legal obligations please inform me so I can advise him as to what he may be facing.  Perhaps he thinks he can leave her at home in the US and come here alone in the winter for 2 or 3 months, but I told him that he will probably be financially and personally responsible for her, if that is what he is considering.  

Any thoughts, opinions or hard facts ?  

I have a thought. On $1500 per month income, and he's living in the US. How the hell is he saving enough money for round trip plane tickets to the Phills? Then double that for her. Maybe he knows something that we don't know!:ohmy:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I have a thought. On $1500 per month income, and he's living in the US. How the hell is he saving enough money for round trip plane tickets to the Phills? Then double that for her. Maybe he knows something that we don't know!:ohmy:

I was thinking the same thing.  Buying a ticket every 6 months adds up.  I would suspect that he has savings in addition to $1500 a month from SS, etc.

• Like 1