Where To Find Used Soft Cover Books

Guardian
Posted
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know where I would be able to find those in Cebu City and how much they charge for them?Edited by Mr. Lee because the topic strayed to starting a Cebu Expat group

Edited by Mr. Lee

paul
Posted
Posted

CAGNAAN BOOKSALES CEBU Tel # +63.32.412-7008 | +63.32.254-5161 (TF)Don Ramon Aboitiz Street Infront (Gate 1) St. Theresa's College Cebu City CebuThere is supposed to be, or used to be anyway, a branch in SM Mall too. But, that information is dated. So, verify it first.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

A way forward may also be starting a book swap club.. all my books are a bit boring mind as its all technical books or business related. But have a lot of magazines on farming, philippines businesses etc.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
A way forward may also be starting a book swap club.. all my books are a bit boring mind as its all technical books or business related. But have a lot of magazines on farming, philippines businesses etc.
That might be a good idea and maybe once I move there full time then we can bring books and magazines to the monthly get together's and put them on the table and swap them out for others that other people bring. Maybe we can even do that at the few get together's we will have the months we are there for sure next year. February, March, April and part of May. Good idea Matt.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Basement store located in the Fiesta Mall Tabronk (Spelling?) Cebu. They have a couple thousand paperbacks at fair prices.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Basement store located in the Fiesta Mall Tabronk (Spelling?) Cebu. They have a couple thousand paperbacks at fair prices.
Thats my haunt.. spend at leat P1000 a month in there :rolleyes:

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
That might be a good idea and maybe once I move there full time then we can bring books and magazines to the monthly get together's and put them on the table and swap them out for others that other people bring. Maybe we can even do that at the few get together's we will have the months we are there for sure next year. February, March, April and part of May. Good idea Matt.
Ill be around most of the year although get a bit occupied with business. But keen to get involved in developing the Cebu Expats as CDO Expats are leaving us to shame at the moment :rolleyes:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Ill be around most of the year although get a bit occupied with business. But keen to get involved in developing the Cebu Expats as CDO Expats are leaving us to shame at the moment :rolleyes:
Matt, I think the main thing that CDO has over Cebu is someone who actually lives there and is willing to do a lot of the work and wants to do some good to help her people. Cebu has a lot of unorganized expats who mostly do not wish to associate with each other unless there is something in it for them. Of course not everyone fits that category. There are many long time residents of Cebu who are very active on forums and many others who are not active on forums yet they have done nothing in all the years they are there but maybe brag how much they know about Cebu and the Philippines. I learned a long time ago that there are those who do and those who say they do and many of the expats that I have met are all talk and no action and I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. The problem for most members on this forum trying to do something like that is that most of us either live outside the Philippines and visit or like myself live part time in the Philippines or there are those who do live in Cebu but do not wish to associate with most of the expats that they have met up with or have read posts from on the other forums and I really cannot blame them because many of the guys on many of the other forums seem to talk a lot of trash and that really does not make people feel warm and fuzzy or feel like meeting forum members. I only wonder what Filipinos who read some of those same forums must think of many of us foreigners, and it would be my guess that they think the lot of us are sexpats. Anyway, if you can figure out a way to do something constructive, then I would do my best to help out while we are there or from here in the states when we are not. We just need someone to lead the way and it seems you are doing a good job with what you are doing but you also fall into the category of really not wanting to associate with many of the other expats and I sure cannot blame you or anyone for that and at times I get fed up too but have met some wonderful people that I never would have met if I did not go out of my way, so I forge on. Now, do people like me, I can only do my best and if that is not good enough, oh well. SugarwareZ-007.gif

mayen0515
Posted
Posted

There is a used books shop located near SM's grocery called BookSale...they sell second hand books, comics & magazines. They also have a branch in Robinson's at the 2nd floor. Just this afternoon, I passed by a house in A.S. Fortuna that was advertising used books for sale. Their was a decent no. of books displayed outside and since the door was open, I can see that they have floor to ceiling bookcases. The signs read "Used Books P35 to P50" which is really cheap because BookSale sells books for P150.00 and above. I plan to drop by the A.S. Fortuna house/store this weekend to go on a book scavenging hunt, I'll just get the exact address and landmarks so it would not be too difficult to find...:SugarwareZ-034:

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Ill be around most of the year although get a bit occupied with business. But keen to get involved in developing the Cebu Expats as CDO Expats are leaving us to shame at the moment :SugarwareZ-034:
Matt, I think the main thing that CDO has over Cebu is someone who actually lives there and is willing to do a lot of the work and wants to do some good to help her people. Cebu has a lot of unorganized expats who mostly do not wish to associate with each other unless there is something in it for them. Of course not everyone fits that category. There are many long time residents of Cebu who are very active on forums and many others who are not active on forums yet they have done nothing in all the years they are there but maybe brag how much they know about Cebu and the Philippines. I learned a long time ago that there are those who do and those who say they do and many of the expats that I have met are all talk and no action and I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. The problem for most members on this forum trying to do something like that is that most of us either live outside the Philippines and visit or like myself live part time in the Philippines or there are those who do live in Cebu but do not wish to associate with most of the expats that they have met up with or have read posts from on the other forums and I really cannot blame them because many of the guys on many of the other forums seem to talk a lot of trash and that really does not make people feel warm and fuzzy or feel like meeting forum members. I only wonder what Filipinos who read some of those same forums must think of many of us foreigners, and it would be my guess that they think the lot of us are sexpats. Anyway, if you can figure out a way to do something constructive, then I would do my best to help out while we are there or from here in the states when we are not. We just need someone to lead the way and it seems you are doing a good job with what you are doing but you also fall into the category of really not wanting to associate with many of the other expats and I sure cannot blame you or anyone for that and at times I get fed up too but have met some wonderful people that I never would have met if I did not go out of my way, so I forge on. Now, do people like me, I can only do my best and if that is not good enough, oh well. SugarwareZ-007.gif
I meet a lot of expats but generally not at gatherings as I meet a lot of newcomers via TropicalPenpals.com who are after advice etc. Im all for regular meet ups but also cautious on the fact we dont want the normal people being frightened off or offended by others to the point they dont come to the next gathering. I think informal pool days or BBQs would be a way forward also what is just as important is everyone getting involved its ok to set these things up but everyone needs to take a piece of the puzzle to make things friendly for everyone. Otherwise you end up with an organiser who eventually gets fedup with doing all the organising..lol