Manila airport taxi driver arrested after scamming Austrian travel bloggers

TimL
Posted
Posted

It seems now that they are considering a permanent ban on white taxi’s at MIAA.

The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) is seriously considering to permanently ban white taxis at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

This, following the capture of the taxi driver who has gone viral on social media for overcharging two foreign YouTube vloggers.

In a phone interview on Thursday (May 9), MIAA General Manager Ed Monreal said the move will prevent complaints against abusive drivers of white taxis at the airport from multiplying.

In 2018 alone, more than 300 complaints were filed against white taxis in NAIA.

In January to April this year, MIAA has recorded at least 56 complaints against abusive drivers at the airport.

This is why on Monday (May 6), MIAA started banning white taxis from entering Terminal 1, on a two-week trial basis.

“Pagka dumating ang panahon at naging successful itong ginagawa natin sa Terminal 1, pag-aaralan naman natin ang Terminal 2 kung pwedeng ituloy. Pagka maganda ang resulta at walang naging inconvenience sa mga pasahero, gagawin natin yun [When the time comes and what we’re doing in Terminal 1 succeeds, then we’ll see if we can do it also inTerminal 2. If the result is good and there had been no inconvenience to the passengers, then we will do it],” Monreal added.

The authorities now have been encouraging passengers to ride on accredited yellow taxis, airport buses, and transport network vehicle services at the airport.

MIAA added that they will gradually rid the airport off white taxis so that passengers will not be inconvenienced further.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/miaa-mulls-over-permanent-banning-132804791.html

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, TimL said:

MIAA added that they will gradually rid the airport off white taxis so that passengers will not be inconvenienced further.

Scratching Head.jpg YET! they have already Identified there are just not enough legally operating Taxis. To me, get the legal side sorted or as we may suspect, are Backhanders going about  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

so that passengers will not be inconvenienced further

I for one have already been inconvenienced by having to pay double my usual fare for the same ride. Would it not be better to let the regular cabs remain and discipline the culprits when caught breaking the law. Next time I will have to walk to the street , hail a cab, not a great option after a 13hr plane ride at 4 am. Or After haggling the price, bite the bullet and pay. A they say it is more fun in the Philippines. 

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Exactly.

How dumb to punish the 1,000s of customers who have trouble-free rides in the white taxis every day, by imposing an outright ban....just because of some publicity-seeking individuals who had had enough travel experience to avoid such (potentially dangerous) situations. 

Simply tighten the regulations up, and don't make such damned drama of it. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Why not allow only some sort of accredited white taxis to operate from the airport. Drivers and owners are registered which should put a stop to rogue drivers .

Isn't that how the 'yellow airport' taxi system started?

• Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

The easy solution is to use Grab. The cars and drivers are nicer than the normal yellow or white taxi's and the fare is fair. Plus it only takes 5 -10 minutes for pickup. Just install the Grab app ahead of time on your smart phone and get your account with credit card info created. Then if you don't have one, buy a SIMM at the airport, enable data, then summon a Grab. My last trip I used Grab almost exclusively while in Manila and it was so much better than normal taxis. In Baguio the Grab cars and drivers were the normal taxis but then I never had a problem with taxis in Baguio the 2 years I lived there and used them often.

• Like 3