Philippines says envoy recalled over Canada trash row

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I guess if we learn nothing else from this, we should all learn that Filipinos will hold a grudge for YEARS over something that really wasn't your fault (in this case, the fault of the Canadian government).

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

This was between a Canadian business and a Filipino business.  Not really a government issue.  Quite an overreaction - must be trying to distract us from something ha ha 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Not really a government issue.

Governments in Canada, USA, and now (apparently) in the Philippines all set rules on how and where trash can be disposed of.  So it is a government issue, IMHO.  It just took a long time for the Philippine government to force the issue, which is typical.

For example, none of these 3 governments would allow their citizens to take a barge full of trash into international waters and dump it overboard. . . . .  hmmm . . . or would they.

Here is a good article with the timeline to show how this has been going on since 2013.  In the article, the Canadian Prime Minister says they can fine the garbage exporter for breaking the law but cannot force him to bring it back.

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For example, none of these 3 governments would allow their citizens to take a barge full of trash into international waters and dump it overboard. . . . .  hmmm . . . or would they.

Cruise ships do this all the time.  With 3,000 to 4,000 passengers plus crew, that's a lot of trash.  When caught, there are apologies and payment of fines plus promises not to do it again.  I think it is cheaper to pay for dumping in international waters than to dispose of the trash properly.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I think it is cheaper to pay for dumping in international waters than to dispose of the trash properly.

I think that is true anywhere and not just in the water. A person got fined 400pounds in the UK for illegally dumping rubbish they saved money by doing this as to dump it legally would have cost around 600 pounds. In reality, the law encourages illegal dumping by giving out small fines no matter where you are. As for the trash here look at the money that should tell you who is at fault.

• Hmm thinking 1