Candidates hoping to follow Theresa May

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Brexit is proving to be as impossible to pull off as some predicted it would be.  Leaving with No Deal will not be supported by Parliament, there is no chance of a better one from the EU so where does that leave us?  Another referendum with a clear Leave with No Deal option to stop Parliament vetoing such a thing - maybe.  Or Parliament accepts the current deal dressed up in another guise.  The EU is a bit like the Hotel California it seems. 

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Too late. "No deal" is the default option. In fact there is a good argument that we actually left on the 29th March regardless of what May did to extend the deadline.

If the next PM doesn't support a potential no deal withdrawal then I predict the wipe-out of the conservatives at the next GE.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, DavidK said:

Too late. "No deal" is the default option. In fact there is a good argument that we actually left on the 29th March regardless of what May did to extend the deadline.

If the next PM doesn't support a potential no deal withdrawal then I predict the wipe-out of the conservatives at the next GE.

Not too late if a 2nd referendum is called.

The PM can support a no-deal withdrawal all they like, but it is Parliament that will vote on the deal so Parliament will need to support a no-deal rather than just the PM.  Yes, the PM can adopt some underhand tactics to avoid a vote and push through a no-deal but that would be political suicide for both themselves and their party.  We have already seen that MPs are willing to go against the party and vote according to their conscience. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

it is Parliament that will vote on the deal so Parliament will need to support a no-deal rather than just the PM.  

The parliament would have to vote for another extension and the EU would have to agree to an extension to avoid a default no-deal exit though, at least that's how I thought it worked?

So if the parliament can't agree on a deal before the deadline and the EU don't extend won't a no-deal Brexit occur by default because of the EU and it doesn't need to involve the British parliament?

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

The parliament would have to vote for another extension and the EU would have to agree to an extension to avoid a default no-deal exit though, at least that's how I thought it worked?

So if the parliament can't agree on a deal before the deadline and the EU don't extend won't a no-deal Brexit occur by default because of the EU and it doesn't need to involve the British parliament?

Yes Geoff, your understanding is spot on.

I guess we are all imaging that an extension would be granted as has been suggested by the EU.  If parliament doesn't request an extension then it would mean they accept the default No Deal which they have already voted against.  

Both sides (Leave No Deal/Leave Current Deal) are waiting to see who blinks first - let's see.  

EDIT to ADD - I suspect we may prefer the EU to say no to a further Extension to force Parliament's hand sooner rather than later.  

Edited by hk blues