DENR to go after illegal structures in Moalboal

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow, this could be another Boracay, maybe even more so!  I have often wondered about all the restaurants and resorts that have been built right at the edge of the water in Panagsama.  Some even extend over the water.  I pulled up Google Earth and used their measuring device.  It appears that the beach road in Panagsama is 20 meters from the water line.  If that is true, and DENR gets serious, every restobar and resort on the west side of the road would be in violation.  For those not familiar with this area, Panagsama is on the beach just to the west of Moalboal town and is considered part of Moalboal.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1811727

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) will run after resorts in Moalboal, Cebu for creating illegal structures in their areas of operation.

DENR 7 Assistant Director Eduardo Inting said he will send another round of notices of violation to resort owners who violated the 20-meter easement zone provided under Presidential Decree 1067 or the Water Code of the Philippines.

Section 51 of the Code says the easement for urban areas is three meters, agricultural areas is 20 meters and forestal lands 40 meters. Inting said Moalboal is an agricultural area, hence the easement zone is 20 meters.

“There must be no structures within this area in Moalboal. We will be sending notices of violation to resort owners,” Inting said.

Inting, however, declined to name the resorts.

Moalboal town Mayor Inocentes “Titing” Cabaron, in a separate interview, said he is aware that the DENR has conducted monitoring on these resorts several times already, but the municipal government was not given this list thus he also could not name the resorts.

Explain

DILG 7 Director Leocadio Trovela, for his part, said local government units (LGUs) are under its jurisdiction, so they want to know from town officials why there are illegal structures in beach resorts when they are the ones that issue clearances, as well as building and business permits.

Trovela said to eradicate these structures, the DILG is working closely with the DENR and the Department of Tourism while pointing out that these resorts have also committed environmental pollution.

Consideration

Cabaron said the Moalboal Municipal Council passed a resolution addressed to DENR Secretary Roy Cimatu asking for “a little kindness” to be given to resort owners.

The resolution sought to reduce further the easement zone to less than 20 meters in favor of the resorts.

But according to Cabaron, they have not received a reply from Cimatu until now.

Further, the intent of the resolution was to ensure that any impending closure will not affect the town’s revenues generated from these tourism-related operations, he said.

Cabaron said he wants the DENR to be considerate in implementing the law; otherwise, the closure (of several resorts) may lead to an economic downturn for the town.

He said the impending closure of resorts will reduce the taxes due to the municipality and reduce its income. The town’s employment rate will likewise drop as well as tourist arrivals.

“But they (resort) owners are willing to demolish (their structures) on their own once they receive a notice of demolition from the appropriate authority,” Cabaron said.

Moalboal is one of Cebu’s most visited tourist destinations. In the 2017 records of the DOT 7, it logged 24,620 local and foreign arrivals, placing third among the most visited towns in Cebu.

The first is Oslob, which is famous for its whale watching. Second is Daanbantayan, known for its white-sand beaches and crystal clear waters. (EOB, VLA)

Edited by Mike J
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing this Mike. I've dived Moalboal a number of times the past 20 years. Having an actual beach there once more would increase tourism IMO. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Having an actual beach there once more would increase tourism IMO. 

They do have a beach there, with nice looking white sand.  But its not really sand.  It is coarse rock that is hard on bare feet.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They do have a beach there, with nice looking white sand.  But its not really sand.  It is coarse rock that is hard on bare feet.  

They used to have nice white sand but a bad typhoon in 1984 washed most of it away.  "White Beach" about 5 km north, as the crow flies, still has a good sand beach.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

"White Beach" about 5 km north, as the crow flies, still has a good sand beach.

Yes, that was the one I was referring to.  Just a hop, skip and a jump from the dive resort area, but the sand is still too coarse for my tenderfeet.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes, that was the one I was referring to.  Just a hop, skip and a jump from the dive resort area, but the sand is still too coarse for my tenderfeet.

I agree.  Best to wear those special  booties.  Like scuba socks but with a sturdy sole.   Going to take a lot of years for that coral to break down into fine sand.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just a hop, skip and a jump

Its just a jump to the left,, And then a step to the right,,, With your hand on your hips.

:nudie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 6/27/2019 at 8:13 AM, Mike J said:

DILG 7 Director Leocadio Trovela, for his part, said local government units (LGUs) are under its jurisdiction, so they want to know from town officials why there are illegal structures in beach resorts when they are the ones that issue clearances, as well as building and business permits.

This will be interesting to see any answers about the permits etc. I wonder if any officials will be brought to task over wrongly issued ones.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

This will be interesting to see any answers about the permits etc. I wonder if any officials will be brought to task over wrongly issued ones.

An even bigger question is what will happen to all those restobars and resorts on the shoreline.  Most have been there for many years.  Will they be torn down?  Short term that would be disastrous for the community, but I think it would benefit the long term economy of the area.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Short term

That pretty much describes the attitude of the whole country :hystery::571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2