Concord ( lost but not Forgotten)

Ranger Andy
Posted
Posted

A magnificent airplane!

Although some may think it was grounded for safety issues, the real reason for the failure of the Concorde was the high cost of fuel.

“Why was Concorde retired?

Despite its innovations, the Concorde wasn’t a monument to efficiency. The Concorde was designed well before the oil-price shock of the 1970's, so even though it was a masterpiece in engineering, it was effectively a fuel to speed converter. Its high energy consumption simply made it unprofitable in an era of high fuel prices.”

https://interestingengineering.com/concorde-the-real-reason-why-the-supersonic-passenger-jet-failed

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

Great photo! And, unless a trick of the lense, the curvature of the earth can clearly be seen at that altitude.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ranger Andy said:

it was effectively a fuel to speed converter.

I watched a documentary on the AN 225.  It is effectively a fuel to load converter.  It costs a fortune to operate but people who want heavy objects moved half way around the world quickly will pay top dollar to charter it.  It was a plane that was retired from service but came back from near scrap heap by being refurbished for this use.

I wonder if there would be a similar market for the Concorde.  It is also a plane that was retired from service but a search shows that there are some units that could be refurbished if the market was there.  I am reminded of the Flying Scotsman.  There are people who will pay for a nostalgic ride.  Imagine the thrill of Manila to London on a Concorde. :Count_Sheep:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Slightly off topic.  I was able to see the SR-71 Blackbird at the San Diego flight museum.  To actually see it, walk around it, and under it is amazing.  Even mounted on pillars as a display it looks totally bad A$$ in black and wicked fast standing still.  Hard to believe the engineers that designed it used slide rules back in the early 60s.    Mach 3 at 85,000 feet.  Eat my shorts Russia.  :1927_:

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Slightly off topic.  I was able to see the SR-71 Blackbird at the San Diego flight museum.  To actually see it, walk around it, and under it is amazing.  Even mounted on pillars as a display it looks totally bad A$$ in black and wicked fast standing still.  Hard to believe the engineers that designed it used slide rules back in the early 60s.    Mach 3 at 85,000 feet.  Eat my shorts Russia.  :1927_:

image.jpeg

Yes they have one at the Imperial war museum Duxford close to where we live. Seeing one flying into Mildenhall some years ago was an unexpected treat.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just as a matter of Interest there was a Lady Pilot and I believe just the One ;

Lady Pilots.jpg BTW That other is a Tornado, whether that was the Photographer I know not

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Firstly the OP needs to add an e!

What is truly amazing is concord was . . . .

:hystery:  Pot and kettle?

• Like 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

:hystery:  Pot and kettle?

Cheeky edit completed Mate!

• Haha 1